Dirty fingers pickups

What's Hot
I recently fitted a pair of dirty fingers to my sg but they dont sound as heavy as i expected - more like powerful single coils although they appear to be working properly as humbuckers.
Any ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Where did you buy them from? I know there are some fakes going round...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    The original T-tops or the newer models with the logo on the bobbins?
    The original certainly don't sound like a single coil, they have plenty of beefy welly but I've not tried the new Asian remakes.
  • Theyve got the logo on the bobbins.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73109
    Do you have a multimeter?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• There's a guy on eBay that has loads of sets of them , selling at £59.99 for the pair.

That's all he sells and looks to be fake. Lots of Chinese fake sites are selling them now
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11147
    edited May 2015 tFB Trader
    There's a guy on eBay that has loads of sets of them , selling at £59.99 for the pair.

That's all he sells and looks to be fake. Lots of Chinese fake sites are selling them now
    if it walks like a duck ... and talks like a duck ... it's probably fake, crispy Chinese duck
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    There's a guy on eBay that has loads of sets of them , selling at £59.99 for the pair.

if it walks like a duck ... and talks like a duck ... it's probably fake crispy Chinese duck
    Huh? But that's the best kind of duck!

suspiciousminds you still haven't told us where you got the pickups from :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeh from that guy i think - £60 quid - i'll get my multi meter out tnite and post some pics of the wiring.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    As fake as very fake pickups.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4293
    edited May 2015
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4293
    edited May 2015
    My father in law has bought some off the same guy.

I've informed him that there's a strong chance they're fake
  • suspiciousminds;646414" said:
    Yeh from that guy i think - £60 quid - i'll get my multi meter out tnite and post some pics of the wiring.
    Read on another forum that the wiring and text looks good and they measure 16k but doesn't mean they're legit.

How does this seller only sell dirty fingers in pairs, claims they're brand new and For £20 less than what it costs for 1 from somewhere like strings direct.

And he has over 10 pairs in stock
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11147
    tFB Trader
    The base plates are cheap and nasty looking ... not what I'd expect on a Dirty Fingers
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I'd say open a case. It seems that all the evidence suggests they're fake, so you'd best start making a kerfuffle sooner rather than later.
    edited May 2015
    Description:

"Dirty Fingers Pickup suitable for Gibson Electric Guitars and other types of electric guitars such as Les Paul".

If they were proper, wouldn't you just say "Gibson Dirty Fingers pickups"? Also the suggestion is that the seller doesn't know that a Les Paul isn't an " other type of electric guitar" from a Gibson, and consequently not a music shop, and consequently not someone likely to be a stockist of Gibson parts. Call it.
  • My father in law has contacted the seller. Told him to open a case.

Looking at his feedback he's sold loads of them.
  • TheGuitarWeasel;646496" said:
    The base plates are cheap and nasty looking ... not what I'd expect on a Dirty Fingers
    That's what I thought too
    I'm not so sure... I still haven't seen any conclusive evidence that they're fake, just a description of their sound which is subjective.

They look like the pickups that come stock on the Epiphone Prophecy line, which are shipped to China (jury is still out on whether they're made in China) which may be why they're so cheap.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So you mean, best case scenario is the seller has got hold of some Epiphone pickups using the Dirty Fingers logo? Still not what our buyer wanted to buy and still a dishonest sale.
    Well, best case scenario they're Epiphone OEM pickups made in the USA to the same spec as the retail Dirty Fingers reissue.

Acceptable case scenario they're Epiphone OEM pickups made in China for Epiphone guitars, but the seller never stated they're made in USA, just that they're "Genuine Gibson Dirty Fingers", which they are.

Worst case scenario they're actually fake, not made by Gibson or Epiphone at all, but I have not seen anything to indicate that is definitely the case.