Dirty fingers pickups

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Hes sold 11 pairs in the last month on his feedback and was advertising until today that he had 10+ pairs available.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    It doesn't say "Geuine Gibson" anywhere; only "Genuine Dirty Fingers". Indeed, the brand is listed as "Dirty Fingers", not Gibson. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Although tbf, it says "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing" at the top, so when you looked it might have said "Genuine Gibson". ;)
    edited May 2015

Here's another listing from the same seller which only uses the phrase "for Gibson". I'm sending the link to Gibson, so we'll see what happens.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    EdGrip said:
    It doesn't say "Geuine Gibson" anywhere; only "Genuine Dirty Fingers". Indeed, the brand is listed as "Dirty Fingers", not Gibson. 
    That's a valid point, but I'd still wait for the resistance readings before making any conclusions. Anything other than 16Kohms then they're most probably fake.
  • Maynehead;646600" said:
    EdGrip said:

That's a valid point, but I'd still wait for the resistance readings before making any conclusions. Anything other than 16Kohms then they're most probably fake.
    They could be 16k and still be fake
  • The in-law just said his measured at 15.5k on both.

I read somewhere that reissue Dirty Fingers should be between 16-16.6k

I should think that's within spec, but as you say, doesn't mean they're not fake.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    The in-law just said his measured at 15.5k on both.

I read somewhere that reissue Dirty Fingers should be between 16-16.6k

They could be genuine with those measurements the dc resistance can vary quite a lot in different temperatures etc. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73109
    If that's with them connected to the pots the actual pickup resistance will be about right. As already said, it doesn't mean they're real, but it does mean that it's likely both coils are working, about the right impedance and that they're wired in series.

It doesn't prove they're in phase though - if they're not, it would produce a thin, bright tone.

Do they have four-conductor cable, and if so which wires are connected where?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I'll look at mine tonight - i'm sure theyre 4 conducter and a bare wire and they do have a thin bright sound which isnt what i expected - i mean, its not unpleasant at all, just not what i expected the DF pickups to be like.
    If i remember right i bought mine in the assumption they were genuine gibson pups.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    At least we now know that they're not definitely fake, as opposed to definitely not fake... :P

I got a suspicion that the "fake" ones with 16KOhms and gold screws may actually be the OEM ones from the Epi Phrophecy series, i.e. not fake. Just a gut feel though based on what I've read.

Real fake ones I would expect to either not measure up or look wrong or sound terrible (noisy, feedback at high volumes etc), or all of the above.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    Just get ash or mark mojo to make some ?
  • My father in-law has installed his this afternoon and his sound weak and thin too.

He's sending them back for a refund after opening a Paypal case
  • Ok
    So i desoldered mine today and i've rewired it up as per the instruction for wiring a gibson humbucker off their website which i didnt do before and they work fine now - quite powerful - and measure just under 16k.
    The green/red wires on both pups were soldered together originally so i assumed they were for the coil splitting and taped them up - now i've soldered and taped up the green and white and they work fine.
    Maybe thats why they're cheaper?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73109
    Aha -  the pickup was wired out of phase with itself.

If it came like that from the factory, that's a classic case of copyists, while being able to copy something, not knowing enough to understand why the original is designed the way it is...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom