What is this!? Old LP on eBay

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73109
    Aha. I think I have spotted something which proves it's a fake.

And which might also indicate it's actually an early 90s Les Paul Classic.

This is something I'd never really noticed until I went looking for pics to back up my first hunch, and found that there's something which corresponds to neither real or recent reissue Standards, but *does* correspond to early 90s Les Pauls…

It's in the very first pic, of the full body. I'll wait and see if anyone else can see it :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    I'd say modern, probably Gibson.  The give-away for me is the position of the tailpiece studs.  On genuine 50's LP's, the tailpiece angles up slightly towards the treble side and the mid point line if you extend it, just clips the rim of the neck volume knob.  Even the reissue Gibson's don't get this quite right with the tailpiece at right angles to the mid line of the maple top.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ESchap said:
    I'd say modern, probably Gibson.  The give-away for me is the position of the tailpiece studs.  On genuine 50's LP's, the tailpiece angles up slightly towards the treble side and the mid point line if you extend it, just clips the rim of the neck volume knob.  Even the reissue Gibson's don't get this quite right with the tailpiece at right angles to the mid line of the maple top.   
    That didn't take long :).

The current Historics are closer than the early 90s ones though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    edited May 2015
    if you've taken the time to replace the pots and put strings on it, why wouldn't you wire the pickups in  ?
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    Paul_C said:
    if you've taken the time to replace the pots and put strings on it, why wouldn't you wire the pickups in  ?
    Maybe you gave up when you realised you'd put the pots in the wrong holes and now you can't get the fake corroded knobs off again.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1635
    Looks like it's suffered both water and fire damage. Remarkable.

The only thing he could be arsed investing in is a set of repro bumble bees. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2179
    Looks like something that's been buried in the garden...and then the dogs taken a piss on it.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23718
    I wouldn't dream of buying it, but what an extraordinary looking thing.

In the first picture I thought it looked like one of those funny little plastic models of guitars they sell in card shops.  But actually the whole thing looks like some kind of guitar-shaped fungus.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    At least it has fresh strings on it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    streethawk;648515" said:
    Looks like it's suffered both water and fire damage. Remarkable.

Like a lot of fire damaged items?
    ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I messaged him yesterday and asked if there is nothing on there you can date the guitar by how is he so sure it's a 50s LP when it's far more likely to be much newer than that, but of course there was no reply
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
    edited May 2015
    I think it looks shite but thought it would make an interesting post for some forum discussion...

I knew @icbm would suss it!

So far my fave comment is buried in the garden and the dog pissed on it from @drjazztap.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Hmmmmm...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    He's also got a seriously manky telecaster for sale too, the neck plate has a serial number on it which I make it a 1968, well the neckplate at least!
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
    lamf68;648702" said:
    He's also got a seriously manky telecaster for sale too, the neck plate has a serial number on it which I make it a 1968, well the neckplate at least!
    I love his description for it!

Hideous old tele,truss rod has been replaced,as have electrics,all bits are here,guess it's got(mojo)as its all cracked and buggered.Fill yer boots.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22601
    edited May 2015
    That level of damage, why would anyone buy it? 

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    From looking at the Tele either him or someone he knows thinks they're a bit of a dab hand at relicing, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23718
    Iamnobody said:
    lamf68;648702" said:
    I love his description for it!

Hideous old tele,truss rod has been replaced,as have electrics,all bits are here,guess it's got(mojo)as its all cracked and buggered.Fill yer boots.

Interesting that there's no real attempt to claim it's a vintage piece, unlike the Les Paul.

For what it's worth the neckplate may be 1968 but the string tree's post-1986, I think.  Not that that proves anything.

I'm really intrigued to know how they got in that state!

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Probably a fake plate to create the illusion the rest might be older than they really are. Firewood really.
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    Is it just me or does the lower horn have a lot of sanding marks: