What is this!? Old LP on eBay

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    edited December 2015
    I notice the seller is based in Bucks. Isn't (ADMIN EDIT: see here) from that part of the world? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Apart from the probable dishonesty of the description, I'd love a LP that looked like that!  The knobs would have to be changed for slightly less manky examples, but otherwise I think it looks really good.  Shame it's got dodgy provenance - if it was sold as a "modified/reliced 1990s Les Paul" (and assuming that's what it is, and that it's structurally sound and playable) then I'd be happy to bid a few hundred.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Knobs aside, it's not that bad looking a guitar. But all the kidology about age, and whatnot, is a big turn off. And I don't really get on with LPs, either..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73109
    Is it just me or does the lower horn have a lot of sanding marks

Not compared to the rest of it :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1373
    It's interesting that a fair few of the photos are well focused, but the two photos of the front and back of the top end of the Headstock are not - the one of the back of the Headstock is particular bad in this respect. Given this photographic limitation., I'm not convinced that the Headstock logo is quite right - I've done my best to compare with one that's the real deal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 265
    ICBM said:
    Aha. I think I have spotted something which proves it's a fake.

And which might also indicate it's actually an early 90s Les Paul Classic.

This is something I'd never really noticed until I went looking for pics to back up my first hunch, and found that there's something which corresponds to neither real or recent reissue Standards, but *does* correspond to early 90s Les Pauls…

It's in the very first pic, of the full body. I'll wait and see if anyone else can see it :).
    I also thought it might of been the hole location for the top of the pickguard. Mainly being that it's too far down and I can't see any evidence of it being moved and dowelled.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    Hasn't this thing been doing the rounds for a few years on eBay? I'm sure I remember seeing it on there a few years ago and there was a thread on MR about it? I may be mistaken though.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73109
    I must admit I have no idea why anyone thinks it looks nice. To me it looks like a total mess of a so-called 'relic' job that looks nothing like any genuine old guitar, no matter how mistreated, and every bit like it's been crudely attacked with various tools. Real water damage looks nothing like it, for a start.

It would be a shame if it is a real Gibson that has been ruined in an attempt to multiply its value, but sadly I think that it is the most likely case.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2015 tFB Trader
    Here's some real water damage, Rich Robinson's 335 that was caught in Hurricane Sandy and the resulting Nashville flood:

(formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    Too bad they won't ship to Sri Lanka - would have looked good on the wall of my golf home in Pallekele
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Until I read the description I genuinely thought it looked like it'd been burned or exposed to excess heat. If that was a real 50s LP that'd be such a shame.

Shame someone's actually put a fair number of bids down on it really. But I would love it if someone from here bought it and did something really cool with it! It could be something really nice under there... Or be made into something really nice with character.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    edited May 2015
    I have worked a few flood damaged guitars.

It doesn't create gouges in wood.

Discoloration, warping and peeling lacquer are the norm.

The lacquer damage can look like extreme crazing, except it tends to curl up at the cracks where it has begun to separate from the wood. Even nitro seems to do this, as if the extreme moisture pushes it back out of the wood
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2179
    @Iamnobody thank you sir. The guitar is shocking, some crafty camera angles at play. Not too bad a top, but those pots and the cavity in the back is shocking.
    The only thing I can think, is that the loft must be on a canal boat?
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 925
    edited May 2015
    ICBM said:
    I must admit I have no idea why anyone thinks it looks nice. To me it looks like a total mess of a so-called 'relic' job that looks nothing like any genuine old guitar, no matter how mistreated, and every bit like it's been crudely attacked with various tools. Real water damage looks nothing like it, for a start.
    I don't think it looks at all like genuine wear and tear (or damage or whatever), and I'm not really a fan of relicing as such, but I do like the texture effect on that LP - bit like sand-blasted wood but a bit "smoother".  I'm certainly not defending the seller pretending it's something it's not, but as an interesting finish I genuinely do like the effect (apart from the knobs).

There seems more point in doing something more extreme like this to give an interesting finish than with the ubiquitous Strat that's been bashed against a wall a few times then had a turd rubbed into the pick guard - and people pay Fender extra for that :)
  • pmgpmg Frets: 301
    miserneil;649473" said:
    Here's some real water damage, Rich Robinson's 335 that was caught in Hurricane Sandy and the resulting Nashville flood:

Didn't that get restored for him in the end?
    tFB Trader
    pmg;650047" said:
    [quote="miserneil;649473"]Here's some real water damage, Rich Robinson's 335 that was caught in Hurricane Sandy and the resulting Nashville flood:

Didn't that get restored for him in the end?
    [/quote]

Yes, by RS Guitarworks, there's a great blog about the whole process which is well worth a read, I'll post a link later.

Interestingly when they took it apart, they mention how average the build was, guitar pretty much thrown together which just goes to show that no matter how much 'mojo' a guitar takes on through the years, ultimately they were all just bog standard production models when first built.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 863
    I think it's one of this Standard faded models they made around 2005?
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24877
    miserneil;650187" said:
    Yes, by RS Guitarworks, there's a great blog about the whole process which is well worth a read, I'll post a link later.

Interestingly when they took it apart, they mention how average the build was, guitar pretty much thrown together which just goes to show that no matter how much 'mojo' a guitar takes on through the years, ultimately they were all just bog standard production models when first built.
    My vintage 335 is identical - and from the same year - complete with the holes for the stop-tail drilled too close to the bridge!

Rather than scrap them, Gibson simply installed Bigsbys and shipped them.

http://es-335.net/335/66202.html
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    @richardhomer where is this gret Britain he speaks of?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yikes. 
    I don't like that much. I'll stick to my Raygun Reliced V100 LP clone- the finish is equally genuine, but infinitely more realistic!