DIY question - modern day plasterboard... how much weight can it support?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Re finding studs: use a magnet. That will pick up the plasterboard nail heads. Once you found the 1st stud you can soon work and and confirm (with the magnet) where the rest are
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    Drew_fx said:
    Will there be a stud at the side of a door frame? If so, that'd be an easy way to find them I suppose.

Yes, generally there will be but very rarely (close to never) are doors and windows in the perfect spacing for stud work so never make the assumption that the will be a stud 16" off the door frame become it's highly unlikely. Usually the outer frame of the stud wall will be built and the door frame encompassed. Then the vertical studs laid out, there for very rarely are they symmetrical.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10634
    If it's a new build the studs could be C shaped tin which aren't designed to support anything other than The plasterboard that's screwed to them

Plasterboard is sold in 2400×1200 boards so they would normally be a fixing evrry 600 mm.
    www.2020studios.co.uk 

Danny1969 said:
    Plasterboard is sold in 2400×1200 boards so they would normally be a fixing evrry 600 mm.
    It's completely dependent on design.  600mm is obviously half a board but 400mm (or 16") is allowing for 3 studs per wall and insulation is available to suit both designs.  400mm tended to be more common in smaller builds as it allowed for stronger walls in smaller spaces, but then it sounds like your new place is part of a bigger project so again though it's totally design dependent.  Being new it could very well be metal frame work (although it's not a certainty), in which case the studs are out and they are going to present you with the opposite problem of trying to avoid them (or at least have a metal bit at hand).  If it literally is a brand new build it's worth contacting the company who you brought it off of to ask for those details to be clarified because other than the panels it's going to be handy to know in the future.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Hmmm...

I'm not hearing any change in tone when I tap the walls. Is it possible that the wall doesn't even have studs?? I know that sounds dumb... but....  ???
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mr_BluesmanMr_Bluesman Frets: 50
    I can hands down say that these http://www.wickes.co.uk/gripit# although a little more expensive than standard fittings are incredible for hanging heavy items on plasterboard.
    My music room has stud walls which was a pain for hanging guitars which is now sorted. These took care of that and are dead easy to install.
    A mate of mine pointed me too them as he fitted kitchen units on stud wall and you can imagine the weight in them when full of glasses and plates etc.

Oh and a little tip for seaching for studs, get a few flat magnets. Slowly move them over the wall, when they stick you have found a nail used in the studs (which will be central to the stud). You can then do a few more up and across to get an idea of the width, usually 600mm
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2100
    Dude,  you really need to find the uprights, then just a thin timber batten ( 5mm is plenty) fix between the stud then hang your panel from that, one at the top will probably do it.. 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    edited May 2015
    Drew_fx said:
    Hmmm...

I'm not hearing any change in tone when I tap the walls. Is it possible that the wall doesn't even have studs?? I know that sounds dumb... but....  ???

Well this become another complexity because it the walls are foam filled (which is quite possible on a large scale project particularly) the may not sound hollow at all. That said you should still be able to tell a difference between resonant stud walls and solid brick. 

How do you know or what led you to believe they were stud walls to start with?
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Those grip it fixings look the nuts @Mr_Bluesman did you use Hercules hangers screwed straight into the fixing?
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2100
    capo4th said:
    Those grip it fixings look the nuts @Mr_Bluesman did you use Hercules hangers screwed straight into the fixing?
    mmm...I would take care....these were on Dragons Den and failed when a point load was applied,  

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Mr_BluesmanMr_Bluesman Frets: 50
    capo4th said:

Yes I did, I can honestly say they really work for wall hangers, rock solid. Mine have been up for six months plus and not budged. Holding Strats, Les Paul's etc. They have varying versions for different weights, I used the yellow ones upto 100kg fine for single guitars on hangers. I understand spark240s concern and he's right to point it out but all I can say is I and other people I know have had no issues whatsoever, Wickes took them on and you can get in store so they must be confident in the product from a financial and investment point of view. I have no issue with point load on my stud walls due to the nature of construction, and I think this would only be a concern with significant weight. Like I said a mate of mine has hung kitchen cabinets with no issues.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24732
    Drew_fx said:
    Will there be a stud at the side of a door frame? If so, that'd be an easy way to find them I suppose.
    Emp_Fab said:
    Awww, come on.... not even a single LOL ?

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    Emp_Fab said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Awww, come on.... not even a single LOL ?

Well given that it is just showing us an image saying "no hot-linking" there is fuck all to laugh at.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24732
    You pulling my chain ?

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    I am not pulling your chain. I didn't see that image at all.

You have very good taste.
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5073
    edited May 2015

Emp_Fab said:
    You pulling my chain ?

Had the same; "Hongkat: No hotlinking!" here.

Now I've seen the piccy? a) LOL, and b) do you have his number @Emp_Fab? ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...