Looking at Travel electro acoustics. What should I be looking for?

What's Hot
Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
For now, lets say money no object. I can always save up and come back to this another time.
Most travel E acoustics seem to be around £400 though, even the Martin and Taylor ones. 
I'm just after something I can lug around town, maybe busk/do small gigs and camp with.
What I have noticed is that HPL seems to be the material of choice for this price bracket and style of guitar, which doesn't sound great on paper to me! What woods should I be looking for? Would mahogany accentuate the lows and help a small guitar sound larger? Are there any other brands to be looking at other than Taylor and Martin, cos it seems to be a two horse race between variants of the LX1e and Baby Taylor.

'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I'd prefer it if I was able to use thinner strings too, would these need a real heavy set to drive the top enough to get the projection I'd like? I like being able to bend a bit too... 
    'Awibble'
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    Taylor GS Mini e. Really playable, electronics are simple and decent sounding - and the acoustic sound is much bigger than you'd imagine. The padded gig bag is really good quality too.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4378
    I have a BT2 which is nothing special. I'd be careful if you want to fingerpick too as the string spacing isn't particularly generous. Comfy neck though if you like skinny v's.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

Hmmm, I'm more of a C or a D shaped neck man. I'm none too fussed about finger picking, I'm a strumming kinda guy on acoustic anyway.
    'Awibble'
    I'm used to a c shape neck but it's really not a compromise.

If you like fat necks then steer clear though.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

nope, I'm used to and prefer slimmer necks what with my 7 string ibanez and BC rich mockingbird and all ;) 
    'Awibble'
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 769
    I've owned a Baby Taylor and it was absolute crap and with no resale value. If size is not an issue just buy a cheap acoustic with solid top and stick a SD Woody pick up in it, preferably second hand then you won't mind the knocks it will pick up.

But if a choice between the 2 above then get a Martin.
    Interesting feedback @BigLicks67 as ai was just starting to think the Taylor was the one lol! Looks like I will really need to go and play as many of them as possible.
    'Awibble'
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I'd go for a Yamaha guitarlele or a Cordoba
  • The Vintage Paul Brett Signature models are all really nice and smaller (they come with a fitted foam case too). I have the 12string version so the neck is necessarily a bit chunky, but the 6 might be an option for you. Both have a good Fishman pickup system.

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 773
    Have you seen these carbon fibre:

http://www.emeraldguitars.com/acoustic/x5-os/1

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    Breedlove Passport.  Short scale comes tuned to A from the factory although I've got mine at G#.
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    edited June 2015
    Seriously do try them against full size guitars and you will find most sound like sh@t with a very boxy sound. Solid top is recommended and do check string spacing too. For my frequent travels I am now using a Hofner Shorty (hot rodded) and a Yamaha THR5 - it's a killer combo and it takes zero space.
    edited June 2015
    Played a LX1e, Baby Taylor and a GS Mini e today in Andertons with Connor/ @Bucket and the GS Mini was the clear winner, with the Baby Taylor behind that and the LX1e in last place. 

LX1E - 
    I didn't really take to tone of it at first but I got used to it eventually, I liked the flat black fretboard and it sounded alright plugged in but really nothing special out loud. It also managed to be deceptively heavy for it's size! Felt like there was a block of solid mahogany in the body. really quite bizarre. 

Baby Taylor - 
    Nice guitar and obviously Taylors reply to the LX1. Very similar guitars although the neck joint was non existant allowing you to play right up the neck which I really did like. Unfortunately they didn't have the Electro version of this so I can't really say as to the quality of the pickup however it definately won in an A/B between that and the LX1

GS Mini E - 
    By far and away the clear winner in my eyes, really nice warm tone acoustically, suited my smaller stature down to the ground and produced a sound that was actually great. And I mean that, not just for a small travel guitar, it sounded great for an acoustic. String spacing was absolutely fine for my picking/finger style and strumming. Felt almost like it was *Taylor'd* for me (Budum tish)
    Then I plugged it in...
    I used the Fishman Loudbox Artist and it gave me the shivers to play it. Really sounded quite beautiful. The EQ on the body was unmarked, but easily worked out to be Bass/Treble/volume and the knobs are actually in a useful place on the top bout to be discreet and useable at the same time. MUCH better than the shitty little wheels at the bottom of the guitar like the LX1e has (GRRRRR!) 
    Can you tell I love it? :D 

Looks like I am in the market for a GS Mini E then ;) I don't really like the scratch plate so I might have to hair-dryer that off but yeah. I'm sold :) It's doubly surprising as I was expecting to dislike the GS mini and I only really tried it cos it was there and not cos I was GASing for it. 

Next question... What battery powerable acoustic amp do I need to go with it? :D Chap in Andertons reccomended the Roland Cube Street and they are about £130 used... 
    'Awibble'
    I guess that makes @richardhomer the winner ;) 
    @GuyBoden those are seriously cool, anywhere that stocks them in the UK where I can play one? 
    'Awibble'
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 773
    Hertz32 said:

@GuyBoden those are seriously cool, anywhere that stocks them in the UK where I can play one? 
    No, but you could take a look at their UK dealer page:
    http://www.emeraldguitars.com/dealer/
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    Hertz32;657081" said:
    Looks like I am in the market for a GS Mini E then ;) I don't really like the scratch plate so I might have to hair-dryer that off but yeah. I'm sold :) It's doubly surprising as I was expecting to dislike the GS mini and I only really tried it cos it was there
    Glad you were open-minded enough to give one a go.

I agree that they stand up as a guitar - rather than simply as a 'travel guitar'.
    Managed to score a scratchplateless Taylor GS Mini-e in mahogany for £350 notes.   :D
    'Awibble'
    Hertz32;661647" said:
    Managed to score a scratchplateless Taylor GS Mini-e in mahogany for £350 notes.   :D
    Good man. Now where are those pictures? :)

They'll be arriving later in the week once it's here ;) 
    But here's a couple from the Ad to tide you over:
    'Awibble'
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom