NGD - My first Gibson

What's Hot
RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
edited May 2015 in Guitar
I've wanted a Les Paul since I started playing nearly 20 years ago.  I thought the urge had passed when I got my PRS SE 245 and loaded it with some of Oil City's finest.  However when I spotted this on Thomann I couldn't resist.  Okay, it's not a standard but the lack of figured top, binding etc doesn't bother me.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5256888/2015-05-31 10.06.18.jpg

It's a Les Paul Future Tribute.  Thomann have them at ~£500 but this one was a B-stock item which was at ~£460.  I've been over it thoroughly and I can only spot one issue and it took me a good while to realise what the actual issue was

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5256888/2015-05-31 10.06.37.jpg

Clearly the bridge volume knob is sitting a little proud.  On closer inspection the knob slightly different to the others so I'm guessing the original knob was lost at some point and this was the closest they could find to replace it.  I'll change it at some point but it's not a major concern at the moment.

I'm sure most will have noticed the tuners. 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5256888/2015-05-31 10.07.11.jpg

I was almost certain that I'd be swapping out the Steinberger tuners but having changed the strings I actually really like them.  The string change was so much easier and the tuners are smooth and accurate.  Only time will tell if I can get along with the aesthetic side of things.

Unfortunately I've not had chance to plug it in yet but it's well setup (might need a tweak now it's got 11s on it rather than the elastic bands it shipped with).  After everything I'd heard about Gibson quality control I was worried about buying blind but I'm happy with the way it plays.  The neck is wider and thinner than I'm used to but it's comfortable.  It's a 60s asymmetrical profile which also worried me as I'd read negative comments about them but I'm starting to think I can get on with most necks. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Enjoy! Those look great value and an easy swap if the tuners aren't to your liking (which they appear to be, so all good!)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Brilliant price, I like the tuners, very smooth :-)
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6148
    tFB Trader
    Congratulations, looks lovely and I really do like those tuners, different but in a functional way.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    HNGD!! :-)
  • As we say down yer, Gert Lush. :-)

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Good choice, been saying for a while that these are a lot of guitar for the money
  • Very nice!
  • My father in-law just bought one of these as a B-Stock item too.

A lot of guitar for the money
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    That's epiphone money! Congratulations wise choice.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited May 2015
    I think thats a steal, nice colour as well. I quite like the tuners, something different and gives the headstock a nice clean look.

Did it come with a hard case?
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I'm an old fogy when it comes to guitars but I like those Steinberger tuners a lot. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    I believe that @Clarky specced those tuners for two of his custom builds.

@RedRabbit, you've got a great looking guitar there.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Good GAS, Sir :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    Congratulations.  Must be a great feeling after 20 years,
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    Very nice.
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    I think thats a steal, nice colour as well. I quite like the tuners, something different and gives the headstock a nice clean look.

Did it come with a hard case?
    No case, just a gigbag.  I ordered a thomann branded case at the same time in the hope that they would ship the guitar in the case but they shipped them seperately.  Still no harm done.

In fairness the gigbag isn't too bad - nicely padded but still not a patch on the PRS gigbags.  I'm glad I ordered the case even if they did send the wrong one.  Rather than a nice plain brown leather case I got the crocodile effect leather instead.  I'm not hugely bother but but it's a bit gaudy.

Had a chance to play through the gig rig (Jet City JCA22H, 2 x V30s and pedal board) and put it up against the PRS SE.  The difference isn't huge but then I didn't expect it to be as Ash's pickup have made the PRS a great sounding guitar.  Not sure which sounds better but I think the Les Paul will sound better in a band mix as it's bit brighter with tighter bass and just has something more to it (I'm desperately trying to avoid calling the sound more 3D).  I guess it's a bit more aggressive than the PRS.

Still need to raise the action a bit more on the treble side as a few bends on the high E were slipping under my fingers but other than that I'm one happy camper.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I believe that @Clarky specced those tuners for two of his custom builds.

@RedRabbit, you've got a great looking guitar there.
    yup…  have those tuners on my V6's..
    and I love them..
    play every note as if it were your first