What is the point of RAP?

What's Hot

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    hobbio said:
    Sorry mate, but that's just not true. All it is is confirmation that you don't "get" hip-hop.

It's fine not to get something without trying to devalue it. I don't get opera but I don't go around calling it crap and making out like it's all fat birds in horned helmets.

EDIT: I was responding to Pip
    But Opera IS all fat birds in horned helmets

The problem with Rap apologists is that they try to defend it and claim that is it somehow "musical". Why don't they just accept that it isn't "musical" within the usual definitions of "musical", and define it as something different?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    They aren't 'apologists', they're fans.

It's clearly music - words over sounds. You're just being a troll.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Absolutely, 100% troll.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1968
    Plenty of music, rhythm and rap here. Don't care if the tune is stolen.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884
    hobbio said:
    Sorry mate, but that's just not true. All it is is confirmation that you don't "get" hip-hop.

It's fine not to get something without trying to devalue it. I don't get opera but I don't go around calling it crap and making out like it's all fat birds in horned helmets.

The problem with Rap apologists is that they try to defend it and claim that is it somehow "musical". Why don't they just accept that it isn't "musical" within the usual definitions of "musical", and define it as something different?
    Silly boy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    hobbio said:

Because you're just wrong. Factually incorrect on every single level.
    True - opera isn't really fat birds in horned helmets
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
    randomhandclaps;653871" said:
    Sometimes it's easy to spot a thread that's not going to end well. 

I'm off to start a few 'What is the point of...' Threads about stuff I don't like, starting with white men rehashing old slow blues tunes.
    I think that says all that needs to be said really! I don't like football, reality TV or exercise (possibly a correlation there?) but they are all valid to people who like them.

I saw Five Seconds of Summer last week - probably a band derided by many! They were 'fucking awesome' (adopting trendy teenage parlance).

It's all music! Look for the stuff you like and leave others to do the same.

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2909
    Chuck D is God.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10497

I think people are generalizing rap, probably because most people on here aren't into it so don't know a lot about it. FACT is some forms of Rap aren't musical, some of the stuff I've worked on has no notes played, no chords or anything to define a key, just drums and sound effects. It's not musical, they don't want it to be musical ... it's more about the rhyming the beat and the lyric. It has more to do with poetry than music.  
    Some urban grimy rap is so fast you can't understand a word of it, even when it's solo'ed and your the guy recording it. Again it's the intention they take pride in the speed same as shredding on guitar I spose. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I just don't buy that. At all.

"musical" isn't anything to do with notes, chords, keys. Anyway... rhythm is an intrinsic part of "musical", and somebody's vocal cadence can definitely be considered melody and harmony.

To say "this stuff over here... that only has drums, sound effects, and vocals, it isn't musical..." is just bonkers, borderline idiocy... imho.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10497

So by that definition the engine in my van is musical ? :) 

Most people associate  "musical" with melody, harmony etc. A person who doesn't understand that probably needs to look up the definition of Musical in the dictionary 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72890
    I think there's a good argument that engine noises can be thought of musical - they have rhythmic content, pitch of a sort at least, and timbre. OK as a single sound they aren't very, no - in exactly the same way as a single sustained note from any musical instrument isn't really very musical. Is an engine noise less musical than a drummer playing the same drum rapidly over and over (eg a very long snare roll) without varying anything?

You could sample a lot of different engines and make a piece of music out of it, I'm sure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisus said:
    Has anyone done the "pronounced with a silent c" joke yet.  
    Er yeah ... Like the first post after the OP ........
    @Axisus, I know, and even the first post was too late to drop that "classic" in.  I was was going to drop in the more contemporary "Hello, 1981 called. It wants its joke back." line, but I have more respect for my elders than to trott 'em out at the drop of a proverbial.
  • ICBM said:
    I think there's a good argument that engine noises can be thought of musical - they have rhythmic content, pitch of a sort at least, and timbre. OK as a single sound they aren't very, no - in exactly the same way as a single sustained note from any musical instrument isn't really very musical. Is an engine noise less musical than a drummer playing the same drum rapidly over and over (eg a very long snare roll) without varying anything?

You could sample a lot of different engines and make a piece of music out of it, I'm sure.
    Which has reminded me of this:

• Which also reminds me of this:

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    If you cant understand it theres always subtitles

That tractor as a percussion instrument is well good :)

And some of those rap tracks (the alphabet one, and the boxing one) got a LOL from me for being good entertainment.

I'm tempted to side with @Danny1969 on the subject of what is musical, with the caveat that cannons definitely aren't yet they were still used in a very famous overture, and the one of the Mozart family (as it Leopold?)  used hand-held firearms (flintlocks? muskets?) as percussion instruments in a "Huntsman symphony".

Given that other forms of "music" can be referred to as "utter shite" on this forum, but apparently Rap cannot ... and that people are allowed to say that <insert music of your choice> does nothing for them/they don't like it/they don't see a reason for its existence, with the exception of Rap - because that's "trolling" - I detect (a) double standards (b) BS from people who seem to be highly sensitive to the criticism of something they believe shouldn't be criticised.  All the bluster won't serve to change my mind.