What is the point of RAP?

What's Hot

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10474

Drew_fx said:
    Rocker;684573" said:
    @unclePsychosis, no you misunderstood my posts. When I listen to music, I want to hear what is being said or what is going on. I listen and am open to liking any piece of music. I heard a guy rapping on a Dublin street and have no idea what he was saying. The words were completely lost in the sound. For all I know he could have been rapping about busses being late. Is it unreasonable to wonder why he bothers if nobody can understand a word he is saying? If you are in Dublin check him out, he operates at the O'Connell street / Talbot street junction.
    You keep saying this idiotic stuff.... things like "why bother if nobobdy can understand a word he is saying" ... don't you understand how ignorant and solipsistic that sounds? Let me spell it out for you - NOT EVERYONE IS HARD OF HEARING
    I think you misunderstand ... I think Rockers saying he can hear it but can't understand it. There's been many a time I haven't understood what a Rappers been recording either and my hearing is fine. Poor diction, stumbling etc. Some guys are really good and can rap really quick and you can understand every word. Others not so much
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Yeah, some musicians are shite.

Big surprise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And LOL at Gil Scott Heron not being RAP.

Oh my dayzz...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    Drew_fx said:
    And LOL at Gil Scott Heron not being RAP.

Oh my dayzz...
    Again, he had a long and varied output much of which wouldn't fit with most descriptions of rap. 

Although he had lovely clear diction...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Stop crying, start buying
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I don't understand lyrics on any music really. I still enjoy it though.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12966
    Danny1969;685026" said:
    Drew_fx said:

Rocker;684573" said:@unclePsychosis, no you misunderstood my posts. When I listen to music, I want to hear what is being said or what is going on. I listen and am open to liking any piece of music. I heard a guy rapping on a Dublin street and have no idea what he was saying. The words were completely lost in the sound. For all I know he could have been rapping about busses being late. Is it unreasonable to wonder why he bothers if nobody can understand a word he is saying? If you are in Dublin check him out, he operates at the O'Connell street / Talbot street junction.

You keep saying this idiotic stuff.... things like "why bother if nobobdy can understand a word he is saying" ... don't you understand how ignorant and solipsistic that sounds?

Let me spell it out for you - NOT EVERYONE IS HARD OF HEARING

I think you misunderstand ... I think Rockers saying he can hear it but can't understand it. There's been many a time I haven't understood what a Rappers been recording either and my hearing is fine. Poor diction, stumbling etc. Some guys are really good and can rap really quick and you can understand every word. Others not so much
    No, we understand perfectly. We understand that because Rocker can't understand what someone is saying that means that he thinks no one else can either. We understand that he has heard a shit rapper at least once and has written off the whole genre on that basis.

Yes - some rappers are rubbish. It's probably the world's most popular music style (in terms of sales) so that's statistically likely. But the point is that nobody with any sense writes off rock music because they don't like Nickleback, so why would you write off Rap music because some busker you heard in Dublin was rubbish???

Nobody would be having a go if he'd just said "I don't like rap" - but he hasn't done that. He's just invented entirely nonsensical and illogical justification for why an entire art form is "pointless". It's idiotic at worst and trolling at best.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    Rocker, I hear you.

For you, to enojy rap you need to be able to hear the words clearly. Fair enough.

Rap is also about the vocal meter, and rhythm, where the voice is being used as a percussion instrument almost, so the actual words are not so important as the sound they are making.

Also, if you don't "get" a genre of music, that's fine too, each to their own and that.

Gil Scott Heron not rap? He's one of hip hop's fore fathers. The fact that some of his tracks weren't full on rap fests doesn;t detract from that.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5003
    Thanks @Snap. Since my last post I did actually listen to my GSH disk. And I can hear what you have written about. Many thanks too to @Danny1969. You understood that my problem was in trying to understand what was being said in something rapped.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Rocker said:
    When the lyrics are spoken so fast that nobody can understand what is being said. Sounds more like a machine gun than a song IMHO
    so if it is understanding lyrics that is your problem you didn't really need to single out rap.. same can be said for Punk... or Shane MacGowan..??
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10474

Mmm if it's musical and melodic  then I don't need to understand the lyric .... I enjoy the notes and the way the notes of the lyrics interact with the underpinning chords. I enjoy Opera despite not understanding a word of it. With rap it is generally essential to understand whats being said though ...... that's the point of it. I produced and played bass on a song called Coke n Rum for example and it was just rap over over my bassline and some beats. Understanding what the guy was rapping about was crucial as the lyrics were clever ... quite devoid of melody but heavy on humour 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited July 2015
    fuk da h8rs

Eminem is one of the most freakishly talented lyricists I've ever heard, and fantastic at delivering said lyrics.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Given the tone of this thread I don't know if the Wow I received for that was ironic or genuine. I hope it was the latter.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Bucket said:
    Given the tone of this thread I don't know if the Wow I received for that was ironic or genuine. I hope it was the latter.
    I'm a big fan of Eminem. Infinite, Slim Shady LP, and the Marshall Mathers LP are three of the best rap albums ever.

Brilliant album.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72720
    Sing For The Moment is one of the most powerful lyrics I've ever heard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12966
    Gang Starr is one of my favourites:

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    I don't know what the point of RAP is and I've got to admit 90% goes over my head, a bit like modern metal and 80's poodle hair Rock does.

However, I did like Grandmaster Flash, Public Enemy and the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy, back in the day.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    Sometimes it's easy to spot a thread that's not going to end well. 

I'm off to start a few 'What is the point of...' Threads about stuff I don't like, starting with white men rehashing old slow blues tunes.
    Is that because you don't like - 'white men' or old slow blues tunes or both?