PRS Custom Owners! What do you use yours for?

What's Hot
johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
What sort of music do you play on your Customs? Have you modded to suit a particular style? Is there anything you avoid using it for? Is it your go to axe or a jack of all trades back up?

Give me your Living With Customs life stories
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Have a check in the 'Pictures of you live' thread in the Live section, in the newest posts, @Thomasross20 has posted up some videos of him in action on one of his customs :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Hell yeah! I play all styles on it - my main axe - no mods required!
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I can't think of any genre a custom couldn't easily do.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3050
    When i had one, anything I fancied.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I use it for literally everything, I dont really play other people's songs but my own can be in the ilk of gong to megadeth, most versatile guitar I have ever owned. Usually I would be tempted to trade buy now, as I was a serial trader but that's been suddenly stopped and gladly so since I have had the studio.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Mine is one of my main gigging guitars...we play quite a diverse setlist. Its just a great guitar..period! Can do anything on it for nice clean delicate stuff to full on brutalz. Trem stays in tune, guitar looks feels and sounds great.....so job done!
    siraxeman;654657" said:
    Mine is one of my main gigging guitars...we play quite a diverse setlist. Its just a great guitar..period! Can do anything on it for nice clean delicate stuff to full on brutalz. Trem stays in tune, guitar looks feels and sounds great.....so job done!
    Do you still have the Toneriders in yours @siraxeman?
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Yes I do!! I like them most days...just occasionally think something different with a bit more bite could be better...I'm guessing this is just an alnico II thing ? They're smooth n creamy which I genereally like...just at times something a bit more harsh and nasty appeals..but then if I did that I might end up thinking that the Rocksongs were better. But I've got 2 Duncans doing nothing here that I got in a trade for my old Dragon II's...Jazz and Custom 5 might give 'em a whirl in the PRS, can always swap back if I prefer the Toneriders. Will only cost me the techs fee for doing the swap over......
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    Home decoration.

Wait, that's not what they are for? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited June 2015
    The new band I'm in is sort of Skunk Anansie/ Duke Spirit with hints of Placebo. Im the only guitarist so I've put down the Kotzen & picked up the Custom 22. I have a big clean requirement. Plus a need for a fat solid power chord. The CU22 does both. But I find myself shifting between the split coils in parallel sound for clean & the back pickup for dirty.

In terms of living with a Custom, I don't think it would work in my last band. But I've used a Kotzen Tele for the last 10 years & 3 bands. But I wanted something slightly more Gibsonish, but with the clean tones a bit springier. In terms of taste I like massive frets and my 15 year old CU22 needed new ones, so I had @felineguitars put 6100's on. Then changed the machines to phase II's then had a Freeway switch installed. 

It's not just a PRS thing. I used to have an old Yamaha SG1300T & that was similar in feel & tone. 

But playing with another guitarist who had a mushy sound. The tele was great. But now in a 1 guitar band the PRS sounds huge & its filling out nicely.
    edited June 2015
    I got mine specifically because I was going to be gigging - seemed the most ergonomic and reliable guitar. The trem stability has been mentioned - it just never goes out of tune (well, very rarely!) and without all the hassle of a floyd. It's solid and doesn't need (for me, anyway) and mods. Gig ready and amazing. I was so excited I bought a second one... :o
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Perfect gigging guitar imo.      
    I play in four cover bands playing everything from funky/soul, through 80's pop to 80's rock and more modern indie and the cu24 is my first choice guitar.     
     I'll often take something else with me but that old custom just plays so easily it gets used all the time.   
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Still my weapon of choice when I play with other people as A it plays like the proverbial hot knife through tthe yellow stuff, with my hands they give out after much more than an hours serious play on anything elsr. B sounds great on lots of varied stuff. C makes me sound and play way above my meagre abilities.
    I'm going to use my Suhr Pro S4 next gig to see how that fares in comparison. But yeah, just a great gigging guitar (PRS, that is)!
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    I use my Custom 22 mostly for cleaner work.  I find PRS cleans are top notch but there are other guitars I prefer with some overdrive.
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    jeztone2;654727" said:
    The new band I'm in is sort of Skunk Anansie/ Duke Spirit with hints of Placebo. Im the only guitarist so I've put down the Kotzen & picked up the Custom 22. I have a big clean requirement. Plus a need for a fat solid power chord. The CU22 does both. But I find myself shifting between the split coils in parallel sound for clean & the back pickup for dirty.

In terms of living with a Custom, I don't think it would work in my last band. But I've used a Kotzen Tele for the last 10 years & 3 bands. But I wanted something slightly more Gibsonish, but with the clean tones a bit springier. In terms of taste I like massive frets and my 15 year old CU22 needed new ones, so I had @felineguitars put 6100's on. Then changed the machines to phase II's then had a Freeway switch installed.

It's not just PRS. I used to have an old Yamaha SG1300T & that was similar in feel & tone. But playing with another guitarist who had a mushy sound. The tele was great. But in a 1 guitar band its filling out nicely.
    Are you me?! My main gigging guitar has been a Kotzen for 8 years now. Although I added a tone control, push pull for the bridge and a four way pick up selector. Awesomeness
    GuitarZero;654791" said:
    I use my Custom 22 mostly for cleaner work.  I find PRS cleans are top notch but there are other guitars I prefer with some overdrive.
    See that's interesting, I tend to shy away from using the Custom for clean stuff if I can and only use it when I need a guitar that behaves under high gain
    johnonguitar;654835" said:
    [quote="GuitarZero;654791"]I use my Custom 22 mostly for cleaner work.  I find PRS cleans are top notch but there are other guitars I prefer with some overdrive.
    See that's interesting, I tend to shy away from using the Custom for clean stuff if I can and only use it when I need a guitar that behaves under high gain[/quote]

Do you have Dragon IIs in yours? I never really liked them for clean but thought they were great with gain.

I'm running a set of Ash's pickups in mine.
    @Adam_MD nah it's the HFS Vintage Bass or whatever they're called. I'm going to change them out though. When they reach the top of my shopping list

• DinosauriaDinosauria Frets: 67
    I tend to use mine for heavier music. Most of my other guitars are single coil.