PRS Custom Owners! What do you use yours for?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72350
    Adam_MD said:
    I can't think of any genre a custom couldn't easily do.
    Cool music?

;)

I used to own one, and although very versatile in most ways, you couldn't really do anything alt/punk-like with it properly. It wasn't just being too 'posh' - although it was - it didn't have the looseness of something like a Jazzmaster or a Gretsch, which you really need for that kind of thing.

Mine was always my backup really - I usually preferred my much plainer-looking and slightly better-sounding Standard. I never used the Custom anywhere without a full stage and lights, it would have just looked silly at a pub gig. I kept the Custom mostly for playing Pride festivals… since it was pink :). (Not kidding!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    GuitarZero;654791" said:
    I use my Custom 22 mostly for cleaner work.  I find PRS cleans are top notch but there are other guitars I prefer with some overdrive.
    See that's interesting, I tend to shy away from using the Custom for clean stuff if I can and only use it when I need a guitar that behaves under high gain
    I have the 57/08s in mine so maybe they lend themselves to the cleaner tones a bit more than what you have.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited June 2015
    I have the EMG 57/66 set installed on mine, switched the locking tuners out for non locking (due to needing to fit thicker strings), and added the adjustable wraparound.  I play modern hard rock music.  Love it, it weighs very little but still feels sturdy, sounds and plays really well.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    ICBM;654895" said:
    Adam_MD said:

I used to own one, and although very versatile in most ways, you couldn't really do anything alt/punk-like with it properly. It wasn't just being too 'posh' - although it was - it didn't have the looseness of something like a Jazzmaster or a Gretsch, which you really need for that kind of thing.
    I totally disagree with this statement. Why on earth would you need a Gretsch or Jag for punk?
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    edited June 2015
    Adam_MD;654992" said:
    [quote="ICBM;654895"]Adam_MD said:

I totally disagree with this statement. Why on earth would you need a Gretsch or Jag for punk? [/quote]

I think you guys are talking about different genres.

Ps. J Mascis just bought a 10 Top in Bengal Burst
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    ICBM;654895" said:
    Adam_MD said:

Cool music?

;)

Mine was always my backup really - I usually preferred my much plainer-looking and slightly better-sounding Standard. I never used the Custom anywhere without a full stage and lights, it would have just looked silly at a pub gig. I kept the Custom mostly for playing Pride festivals… since it was pink :). (Not kidding!)

Dave Navarro managed to play a lot of James Addiction on one...
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    Evilmags;655005" said:
    [quote="ICBM;654895"]Adam_MD said:

Cool music?

;)

Dave Navarro managed to play a lot of James Addiction on one...[/quote]

Wasn't that a McCarty?
  • johnonguitar;654998" said:
    [quote="Adam_MD;654992"][quote="ICBM;654895"]Adam_MD said:

I totally disagree with this statement. Why on earth would you need a Gretsch or Jag for punk? [/quote]

I think you guys are talking about different genres.

Ps. J Mascis just bought a 10 Top in Bengal Burst[/quote]

He sent it back because he really struggled to get the action just right for him.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I don't have a Custom... I have a P90... but I also have other guitars and it is not what the guitar is equipped with sonically that turns me to any style  - it is if it can be played effectively on it physically...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    @57Deluxe I'm totally different. I never really give much of a shit how a guitar plays. I probably should pay more attention to it though. All my guitars are wildly different. In fact the only guitar I ever bough because of the neck was my Taylor 314ce
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    /\ I cannot play Sultans of Swing licks on my Les Paul... neck is way too big...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    /\ I cannot play Sultans of Swing licks on my Les Paul... neck is way too big...
    I'm awesome so don't need to worry about that too much
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    ......annoying the neighbours
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited June 2015

jeztone2;654727" said:
    The new band I'm in is sort of Skunk Anansie/ Duke Spirit with hints of Placebo. Im the only guitarist so I've put down the Kotzen & picked up the Custom 22. I have a big clean requirement. Plus a need for a fat solid power chord. The CU22 does both. But I find myself shifting between the split coils in parallel sound for clean & the back pickup for dirty.

In terms of living with a Custom, I don't think it would work in my last band. But I've used a Kotzen Tele for the last 10 years & 3 bands. But I wanted something slightly more Gibsonish, but with the clean tones a bit springier. In terms of taste I like massive frets and my 15 year old CU22 needed new ones, so I had @felineguitars put 6100's on. Then changed the machines to phase II's then had a Freeway switch installed.

It's not just PRS. I used to have an old Yamaha SG1300T & that was similar in feel & tone. But playing with another guitarist who had a mushy sound. The tele was great. But in a 1 guitar band its filling out nicely.
    Are you me?! My main gigging guitar has been a Kotzen for 8 years now. Although I added a tone control, push pull for the bridge and a four way pick up selector. Awesomeness
    Well I have bad eyesight & like lager. I spend an unhealthy amount of time looking at the women of the Israeli Army website. ;)

Going back to the Yamaha SG1300T. If you wanted to do PRS Custom on a budget. That to me is the nearest non PRS guitar in terms of weight & feel. I restored a trashed one a few years ago & always regretted selling it on, but had been kicked down at work so needed the cash.

But they have a thinner body & tremolo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom