Gibson True Historic

What's Hot
A new range of Historic Collection...a new reason for a silly price increases...a new Gibson Les Paul True Historic 1957 R7 costs £5000 in the UK :-) it's over the price of a second hand Collector's choice :-)

New in 2015
True Historic Plastics: Molecular level analysis delivers authentic vintage design
True Historic Pickup Covers: Designed and engineered based on the originals
Double-Carved Top: Authentic vintage dish profile
Double-Carved Neck: Hand sanded for ideal playability and accurate profile
"Broken" Peghead Edges, Smoother Edges: Vintage Looks and Feel
Thinner Peghead Veneer: A testament to obsession with detail
Thinner True Historic Wet-Sanded Finish: More work, more authentic
Hide Glue Top Construction: A real vintage spec on the most "original" Reissue yet
Rolled Fingerboard Binding: It's all about feel and playability

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited June 2015
    Simply mental those R8s for sale at £3500 will fly out the door once people see these which are essentially the same guitar with improved quality plastics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Molecular level analysis. Hmmmm. 
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Marketing bollocks
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Unless Gibson are going to be buying up the entire used stock of historics there is going to be a very small market for these...-
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12056
    They still can't get the damn logo correct! And the pick up covers are wrong too.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Surely a headstock break and repair is cheaper
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    capo4th said:
    Simply mental those R8s for sale at £3500 will fly out the door once people see these which are essentially the same guitar with improved quality plastics.
    Probably a lot more accurate than that laughable forgery in Toronto that was over twenty times the price though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    RaymondLin;655688" said:
    They still can't get the damn logo correct! And the pick up covers are wrong too.
    They will fix one of them next year :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    edited June 2015
    Surely the market can't sustain these crazy prices? I think it's a big mistake for Gibson to cannibalise their 'R' line. The 'CS7 50s Style Les Paul' is at £3,700 with the 'True Historic' R7 at £5k!

I've bought around ten Gibson Custom Shop guitars and I certainly won't be buying any more at these prices.
    I don't comprehend the sales pitch of these CS 50's Style things are all about I may just be being a bit wimmin.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    ^^ No, I don't think anyone gets it.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    GuitarMonkey;655672" said:
    Marketing bollocks
    Molecular level marketing bollocks actually. ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    How much better is the £5000 Gibson than the £3500 Gibson that is the question or is it all in the plastics?
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Crazy..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

£1500 better isn't it?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    capo4th said:
    Probably a lot more accurate than that laughable forgery in Toronto that was over twenty times the price though...

I have read a few threads on LPF regarding various fake bursts today and have come to the conclusion that these people are a little mad. 

The R8 or R9 will be a great instrument why would you get involved with vintage at big money? 

1500 Guitars built by Gibson between 58 and 1960 of which only 2000 are in known circulation.... 

The mind boggles
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1289
    Not sure who's lost the plot more, Gibson or the people who are going to be buying these molecularly correct guitars.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    The pickup cover on the True Historic is new for 2015.....and still doesn't look right.I think you have to get most of the shine off the nickel to look convincing on a Replica/Reissue.....and I say that fully aware that BOTB has plenty of originals with still "shiny" covers.

Jon Throbak makes great covers and they are even better if you rub your own sweat on them and leave them on the window sill for a few weeks.

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1635
    Would rather just buy a historic and rig it out with DMC parts etc.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1810
    edited June 2015
    Having looked at Historics in detail for the first time and properly played a few it' seems almost reaching the level of some insane asylum out of a gothic novel. Every one likes a nice Les Paul and it's hard to find a good one out of the standard factory stuff these days that does not have a deliberate mistake I am sure they exist but you have to search so you drive people to Historics in search of what a Les Paul should be. I have been lucky enough to play one 59 burst in my life a supposed good one and although I was probably not really that aware back then but it jumped out at me was super responsive and the pickups where like alive they showed every mistake, it made you immediately tighten up sloppy play and the sustain just rang and rang. What I got from the Historics was a lot of guitars with mediocre finish hid by ageing and in comparison they felt like pretty much every other Standard les Paul with perhaps a bit more mojo and a plummier tone. I have now deliberately either going back to a good Japanese les Paul or looking at some of the small builders like Corsa. I just refuse to wear the emperors new clothes. The final thing that brought it fully home to me was Phill Harris playing the Peter Green/Gary Moore guitar at the end of the day the guitar is just not really that bigger part of the magic. Yes Classic 50,s era les Paul's were different but trying to play on that marketing mojo as Gibson are doing is just a con, one that I was getting drawn into but having sampled the goods even with the money in hand I am simply saying Henry No wont get fooled again .