Gibson True Historic

What's Hot

Comments

• TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    I'm intrigued to try one I have to say. I've played a hell of a lot of the cc models now and all but one left me underwhelmed. Most were good guitars but to my ears not anywhere near worth the list price. it will be interesting to see if these are a step up from there. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    edited June 2015 tFB Trader
    These guitars are aimed at the middle aged/prime of life(!) home player/occasional gigger who is an avid member of the My Les Paul/Les Paul Forum/The Gear Page who's heroes they grew up with played bursts and are in the position in life where they have a disposable income that can warrant the expense of a True Historic. Nothing more, nothing less.

One would also wager that it's a shot across the bows for the replica builders out there.

How it will affect the value of the standard historic range will be interesting to see. Would a wiser man start snapping up the cheap historics that seem to be around at the minute?
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited June 2015
    The latest CC 24 is £7500 !! You could get two R8s for that ....

Law of diminishing returns.....
    Buying a R8 for £3000 seems like a good deal with where prices are headed
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12056
    capo4th said:
    The latest CC 24 is £7500 !! You could get two R8s for that ....

Law of diminishing returns.....
    Buying a R8 for £3000 seems like a good deal with where prices are headed
    The differences are cosmetic, same building method, same glue and materials. 
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Is it not a different glue sourced from grass fed horses in open fields with extra tone producing properties?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    edited June 2015
    I don't buy it. Gibson have been telling us year after year that the R series were getting closer to the originals. Yeah right, where's the braz rosewood then you numpty...? Oh you can't use it anymore? Then it's not a true Historic is it? I'll stick with my 2001 which delivers by the bucket although I had to tint the plastics...sorry...match the colors at molecular level to make it look awesome.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    capo4th said:
    Is it not a different glue sourced from grass fed horses in open fields with extra tone producing properties?
    No, it's from special male cows - although you're right that it is a byproduct of them eating grass.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    talking of cows my bovine excrement detector is going mad
  • HysterHyster Frets: 208
    I've a feeling they will sell every last one of these and probably pull second hand reissue prices up with them.

Are they worth it?  nope. 
    Can I afford one?   nope. 
    Do I want one?      Absofuckinloootly!
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    underdog said:
    RaymondLin;655688" said:
    They still can't get the damn logo correct! And the pick up covers are wrong too.
    They will fix one of them next year :D
    Exactly, and maybe another the following year, unless they find some other form of marketing bullshit to spin to whoever it is that keeps buying this stuff.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16967
    To be fair to Gibson, there is a lot of shit written about plastic on a lot of forums. They are just responding to silly demands for unimportant features.

Even so, I will be interested to see if these fancy plastics they are charging a lot for pass the backlight test.

I remember when I first saw someone charging silly money for reproduction plastics,I think it was 350usd got pickup rings ten years ago. Makes total sense if you have an original with a cracked ring. You sell it with original ring and new repro and don't have to loose too much money for it not being original. But how does 50s plastics on a new guitar help value in any way?
    The funniest part I find is that PRS has the rights to the machine that made the wires for the pickups for the Bursts...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    I think Seymour Duncan owns the actual winding machine too, which is what the Antiquities are made on.

Duncan is also one of the only makers to use the exactly correct plastic bobbin material. Which has no effect on the tone ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited June 2015
    ICBM said:
    I think Seymour Duncan owns the actual winding machine too, which is what the Antiquities are made on.

Duncan is also one of the only makers to use the exactly correct plastic bobbin material. Which has no effect on the tone ;).
    nor does colour of the plastics but since we are being anal about every little thing :p
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    edited June 2015
    ICBM said:

Duncan does indeed own an ex-Gibson Leesona winder, bought in the 1980s when Gibson shut down operations at the Kalamazoo, Michigan factory. They actually use it for more than just Antiquities—also the Seth Lover model, Pearly Gates, the humble ’59, some P90s, etc.

There are others pickup makers that use butyrate bobbins now too (and American parts supplier Mojotone sells butyrate bobbins), but I believe Duncan was first to reintroduce it.
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    It's crazy.......but we all know the biggest problem they will have is seeing the end of the queue of punters wanting to buy them.
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    The 2016 models will be better, they'll be using a curse the bring back the 1959 employees as zombies.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3702
    sted said:
    It's crazy.......but we all know the biggest problem they will have is seeing the end of the queue of punters wanting to buy them.
    It's a fact and no matter how some people moan Gibson are a business and only there to sell stuff.

Much better margins than their standard stuff that only us paupers can afford.
  • I'm a huge fan of Gibson Historic Reissues but won't buy them for this price. I'll try a marketing bollocks free, real handmade masterpiece: Nik Huber Orca
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4307
    edited June 2015
    I would be very careful if you think the Orca will satisfy your Les Paul lust.

I received an Orca as part of a trade in the last couple of weeks. Not my first Huber guitar, and I think they are incredibly well built instruments. But to say my R9 smoked it for tone, is a massive understatement. I mean it wasn't even close. To the point where I couldn't see any circumstance where I would ever pick up the Orca. It's gone already..

Actually quite frustrating as they are so perfect in ever other way, but no Huber I have owned or played has been able to match up to a good Gibson in the tone stakes. I have no real idea why this is, but it is consistently true.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom