Nasty suprise

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16916
    if you had posted that pic and said it was a fresh break i would have said it was easy fix.   If you had posted those pics of the previous repair I would have said it looked really well repaired

but this is a re-break in exactly the same spot which means two unexpected bits of bad news here

1)  its no longer a simple re-glue.  that has been tried before and hasn't taken.   the break is no longer clean and you can't assume a re-glue alone will work

2) the previous repair was not as good as it looked.  If it had been reglued with the proper wood glue or epoxy it would have never broken in the same place again... more commonly they break next to the original repair because the wood is still weaker than a well done glue join.  

@icbm mentioned a splinted repair earlier.   I would have said that was overkill for this style of break from the damage pics... but now we know its a second break in the same area i would also recommend splinting it

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    the good news is its nowhere near bad enough to need a neck replacement  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 692
    On closer inspection it does (to me at least) look like it's broken next to but not right on the old repair, I could be wrong and I'm not questioning your advice. http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m544/kevinstead/47992296-1AFC-403D-ABC2-8E6C86756E3D.png
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Rox said:
    Rox;659111" said:
    zenzeypher said:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/vintage-les-pauls/336044-repaired-broken-headstock-les-paul-sounds-better.html

If it helps?

I'm now very concerned for the welfare of Peter Green's old guitar!!

"Hmmm.  It seems to have lost some tone.  Lars, get Parcelforce on the phone, I need it damaging."
    That guitar is already broken and repaired. Gary Moore had it in the boot of his car when he was involved in a collision.
    More breaks = more tone.  :D
    If More Breaks = More Tone, then what would a neck made out of mahogany sawdust sound like?
    Hence taking the piss out of Kirk's 'advice'..  :D
    edited June 2015
    you may be right, but i would still go for the splinted repair now.   

look at it this way.   We all know this is a weak area, but even so most gibsons never break.   Most that get a simple re-glue of a long grain break never break again.   Its a weak area, but on most unbroken gibsons , or even most reglued long grain break gibsons its clearly strong enough

those that get multiple breaks, or short grain breaks, will always need a bit more reinforcment as they were never strong enough.  this one has now shown its weaker than the average gibson, and weaker than the average repaired gibson.     
    :( dammit
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    ftumch;659138" said:
    thomasross20 said:

Fix it up and trade in for a PRS? ;)

I'm afraid I don't have the relevant university education to own a prs.

Lol :D
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Photo bucket sucks damn thing keeps redirecting me to the App Store on my phone :x

I really want to see this guitar
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Adam_MD;659873" said:
    Photo bucket sucks damn thing keeps redirecting me to the App Store on my phone :x

I really want to see this guitar
    Aye I've not clicked a photobucket link for months for exact same reasons.

edited June 2015
    Sorry guys!! I'll look into tinypic Edit: promise I'll never call you 'guys' again.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    That's one of the coolest colours I've seen on a les Paul, that's awesome.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    That's really awesome hope you get the neck sorted without too much hassle.

I use Imgur to host photos - no ads and super easy to use.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72949
    How easy they are to break depends drastically on the particular piece of wood the neck is made from and its grain direction and structure at that exact point. If the grain follows the angle of the head to some extent they can be very strong - I had an old LP Jr that from the damage around the end of the headstock had certainly never lived a sheltered life, but had never been broken. The grain followed the curve almost perfectly.

But a friend of mine had a '52 reissue Les Paul which had the grain curving totally the wrong way, so the grain lines were only about an inch long across that area. It looked like an accident waiting to happen and I passed on buying it for that reason. To the best of my knowledge the headstock later snapped off when the guitar slipped sideways on a sofa. I would have splinted that one even with a clean break.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I think that's the point, they are all different and there is never one correct fix.

only a selection of options which narrows as the damage becomes more severe
    It's gonna be on it's way to the shop this week so I should hear back from them after that about what action they're gonna take.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Good luck!