Nasty suprise

What's Hot
ftumchftumch Frets: 692
Gigged last Saturday, great fun was had.
Put my les Paul away in its gig bag. Jam night tonight, set everything up pulled out my guitar
Broken Headstock.
Angry face! 
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12029
    Les Paul NEEDS a hard case.

It's almost the 3rd rule of the universe behind death and taxes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 692
    I have 3 les Paul's and two hard cases, I keep this one in the Gigbag cos it's one less journey to the car when loading and unloading, big mistake obviously.
    Although the bass player just told me he found it face down on the floor after the gig last week, he picked it up and thought no more if it. So likely happened then in which case a case would've helped not a jot. 
    I get your point though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    That is shit.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yep. It's had a headstock break previously before I got it. It's my candy apple red one that I bought from this here forum :( 
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Gutted for you mate.    :((
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72951
    Get it repaired properly with maple splints through the broken area, then it shouldn't break again unless it literally gets jumped on or something.

At least if it's CAR it should be possible to finish over the repair and make it fairly invisible.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    ftumch said:
    Yep. It's had a headstock break previously before I got it. It's my candy apple red one that I bought from this here forum :( 
    Not ,my old one is it? I think I traded it to someone on Music Radar for a firebird a few years ago...Not many CAR les paul's about, especially as mine had had a headstock break.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    edited June 2015 tFB Trader
    ftumch said:

that does suck indeed, commiserations. If you can, get it to Jonathan @FelineGuitars he did a headstock fix a while ago where the neck was strengthened with carbon rods. Looked almost bomb proof.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    lamf68 said:
    ftumch said:
    Not ,my old one is it? I think I traded it to someone on Music Radar for a firebird a few years ago...Not many CAR les paul's about, especially as mine had had a headstock break.

Yep it was yours. I'm trying to find somewhere local ish that's capable of fixing it. Hoping it can be fixed without needing a neck replacement anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7182
    Kind of goes with the territory of owning Gibsons. Especially if they live in gig bags.

It'll be fine once repaired and usually stronger in that area afterwards anyway.

Still waiting for the day when Gibson work out if they pre-break them at the factory they can add it to their 'aged' Historic series and make a small fortune, as all the purists will want an original broken headstock 'R9' or whatever.

Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27619
    That looks very clean, which bodes well, at least. I have an SG with a repaired neck. It's one of my best guitars :)

If your gear is insured you should be able to claim for repair cost too. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

99% sure it was in the exact same spot mate, I don't think I repaired it though, I'm sure it was already fixed when I got it, it was just unfinished in that area, that's why I striped it and did it that colour. The repair was virtually invisible.

edited June 2015
    Not insured unfortunately, something I need to do. My other studio had a neck break repair something like ten yrs ago and it's been fine ever since, exactly the same circumstances funnily enough, mysteriously fell off the stand of it's own accord after a gig. I probably could've learned something from that :/
    edited June 2015
    lamf68 said:

99% sure it was in the exact same spot mate, I don't think I repaired it though, I'm sure it was already fixed when I got it, it was just unfinished in that area, that's why I striped it and did it that colour. The repair was virtually invisible.

I don't really know if that's preferable to a new break or not from a repair point of view, I would think it is?
    Anyway, my last one I had repaired at Chandlers so I guess it would make sense to take this one there too seeing as they did such a good job of the last one.  I like the idea of sending it to feline but the extra expense of postage is putting me off.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Ah that's such a painful pic!! Broken headstocks are most prevalent on Gibsons, right? Hope it gets fixed easily!
    edited June 2015
    Just to be clear @iamf68 I wasn't questioning anyones repair skills at all mate, I'd be suprised even if an undamaged lp would survive a fall like that unscathed.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3341
    edited June 2015
    Not a Gibson but a PRS..Charlie Chandler fixed my old CU24 with some minor finishing work to tidy it up (@£150) and did a fabulous job. Could it be possible that the guitar had more sustain after the repair??? It appeared to.

A pisser for sure but fixable ;)
    Ah that's such a painful pic!! Broken headstocks are most prevalent on Gibsons, right? Hope it gets fixed easily!

Yeah they're quite prone to it apparantly, especially if you don't look after them properly like me :(