I have just witnessed the death of an iconic guitar

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    It can't have been his actual white LPC anyhow, that's for sale in Music Ground.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9779
    A friend who was watching on tv reckoned it was the bass as well. In my defence, I was very far away!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9779
    I enjoyed the gig, on good form musically, in good humour and with predictable but poignant tributes to Richey. James's attempt at the national anthem went down well! The sound was poor though, high frequencies drifting and fading badly - people with me reckoned it was due to the stiff breeze, but I'm not sure.

Also amazing how many people I know I managed to bump into in a dark field of 10,000 people!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    A friend who was watching on tv reckoned it was the bass as well. In my defence, I was very far away!

How far? You do know that failing to correctly identify a guitar at 50 yards is an automatic fail on your guitar player's licence, don't you?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6604
    Yeah, if you were far back at an outdoor gig the wind will have messed up the sound good and proper. Pretty sure JDB has been using Mesa combos this tour. Sounded so good even our drummer commented on the guitar tone :)

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4307
     He probably just heard about the: Gibson Giveaway on Tuesday 9th June
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10414
    That's pathetic.What a loser.

Everyone knows if you want to be proper Rock n Roll you've got to saw half way through the neck before even attempting to smash it.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    I love the Manics, one band I've never seen unfortunately. Hope you enjoyed it.
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 404
    I saw him smash Nicky's bass at the end, but didn't see any LPC being smashed..
    Arr. Took him a good few goes, even prompting him to make his last words on stage: "Get a Maranello - they're fucking well made".
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2511
    breakstuff;660282" said:

Everyone knows if you want to be proper Rock n Roll you've got to saw half way through the neck before even attempting to smash it.

The maple neck gives it away as one of their £100 "Baldwin" SGs
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Sounds like the act of a complete tosser to me. What next? Biting the head of a live chicken?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    edited June 2015
    strtdv said:

The maple neck gives it away as one of their £100 "Baldwin" SGs
    He should have used a real Gibson - much less robust. Even an Epiphone would have been easier...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17904
    tFB Trader
    Smashing a guitar is the most contrived, grotesque and un rock and roll thing you can do.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    monquixote;660375" said:
    Smashing a guitar is the most contrived, grotesque and un rock and roll thing you can do.
    I can think of a lot worse things to do that are "un rock n roll". But each to their own...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    breakstuff;660282" said:

He's let himself go a bit!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    God are people still smashing shit up?

To be fair it would have been cool if he smashed THE custom and then just retired

But anything less is just cringey
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    Unless they blew it up with mortar fire and or a landmine or something
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    edited June 2015
    There's a very fine line between creating an immersive, cathartic and profound Artaudian mass-hysteria experience for the audience, and being an embarrassing twat enacting a hackneyed and contrived cliche - just as there's a very fine line between clever and stupid.

TBF, I thought, "Manic Street Preachers. What a total cock he is." But then I remembered I was actually thinking of Primal Scream and that I have no beef with the Manics or even know anything about them at all.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    At least he's smashing his own kit. When my band supported them in 1990 in Cambridge they tried to smash up the PA, but the heavies from Criterion hire piled in and stopped them!
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom