Melody maker opinions

What's Hot
Anybody got any experience of any of gibsons melody makers?
Which are the versions to have or avoid?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10593
    tFB Trader
    I have a brilliant 2011 Melody Maker explorer ... one of my favorite instruments

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I have a brilliant 2011 Melody Maker explorer ... one of my favorite instruments

I want one of them  :(

I keep forgetting about them though :(
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    tFB Trader
    Mine now sports one of my Eruption humbuckers, and damn it's a fine istrument!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Mine now sports one of my Eruption humbuckers, and damn it's a fine istrument!
    I've just had a Google search and there's naff all realistically about for nabs. Tsk. I've got a lovely Pearly Gates sitting idle too!!!

Skinny necks?
    edited June 2015 tFB Trader
    I was glad I snapped mine up for 200 quid while they were worth f--k all. Collectors note!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Medium chunky necks

Medium chunky necks
    Champion. saves me pining for one of those Potvin Jupiter's now she's emptied my Fun Money.
  • I have a 2010 single pickup reissue model... But it's on gumtree (& soon to be in the classifieds) :(

They're comfortable to play: light & resonant body & pleasingly chunky neck.
    The stock pickup is hotter than I expected- think hot tele to almost P90 tone.
    The finish is THIN & dings easily though- definitely a "players guitar".

Despite liking mine, as it falls somewhere between my LP Jr and telecaster (both tonally & in the way it plays) it never seems to be first choice... With small kids & no band currently I can't justify having "spares".

I've got a horrible suspicion that I'll regret it; as @theguitarweasel says they COULD become collectible- they're certainly not common.

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/stimpsonslostson/Mobile Uploads/84D5BDE6-F5AC-4FC0-9FAE-109D12025AC9_zpsgq6rslfm.jpg
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72544
    There's a worn-finish white one in the shop just now. Light but not too much so, doesn't feel insubstantial, and the neck is fairly thick but not ridiculous by modern Gibson standards. The pickup is much hotter than I was expecting too - I agree it's in the hot Tele ballpark, very different from a 60s one.

Pretty nice really. You probably are paying for the name a bit, but it's hard to think of anything much cheaper with the same feeling of quality and character.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    ICBM said:
    There's a worn-finish white one in the shop just now. Light but not too much so, doesn't feel insubstantial, and the neck is fairly thick but not ridiculous by modern Gibson standards. The pickup is much hotter than I was expecting too - I agree it's in the hot Tele ballpark, very different from a 60s one.

Pretty nice really. You probably are paying for the name a bit, but it's hard to think of anything much cheaper with the same feeling of quality and character.
    Goddammit, I really wanted one of those in white; had a sunburst one much like the one above which was very nice, had to get rid when times were tough(er) :(
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5420
    edited June 2015
    IanSavage said:
    ICBM said:

Goddammit, I really wanted one of those in white; had a sunburst one much like the one above which was very nice, had to get rid when times were tough(er) :(
    @IanSavage- The inlaws are up in a week or two Ian… it COULD make its way from Edinburgh to Cannock. Just saying ;)
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    That is a big question when we have 60 years to discuss.

With regard to the old ones: A Les Paul Junior was a budget guitar. A Melody Maker was a very cheap budget guitar. So they are great if they are cheap enough.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23036

I've got a 1965 MM in the Pat Travers/Joan Jett body shape.  It's my only vintage guitar.  Super-light, super-resonant, it's a great little guitar.

I've often been tempted to get one of the recent ones in an Explorer shape, just for a laugh since I'm very unlikely to ever buy a "real" Explorer.

For all the criticism they get, Gibson are actually very good at making no-frills budget guitars.  I'd rather buy a crude looking, badly finished Melody Maker and get a few splinters than pay the same money for some shiny, plasticky Epiphone or something.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    IanSavage said:
    ICBM said:

@IanSavage- The inlaws are up in a week or two Ian… it COULD make its way from Edinburgh to Cannock. Just saying ;)
    I'm assuming (nay, hoping) that @ICBM means it's 'in the shop' for repair rather than for sale ;) thanks for the offer though! :)
    IanSavage said:
    I'm assuming (nay, hoping) that @ICBM means it's 'in the shop' for repair rather than for sale ;) thanks for the offer though! :) 
    No, it's in the shop for sale. If you like I'll find out the price :). It's in Glasgow but it could easily make its way to Edinburgh for collection…

(Push, push… ;) )

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5420
    edited June 2015
    ICBM said:
    IanSavage said:
    No, it's in the shop for sale. If you like I'll find out the price :). It's in Glasgow but it could easily make its way to Edinburgh for collection…

(Push, push… ;) )
    This is getting confusing! So to clarify:

I'VE got a 2010 for sale on Edinburgh Gumtree… £325 with a Gibson gig bag and strap in case anyone's interested. ;)
    @ICBM has one for sale in Glasgow. Further proof that all the good stuff belongs North of the Border. :p
    @IanSavage is somewhere in the West Midlands last time I heard. (He went to school with my wife… although I've realised that he may not have guessed who I am due to my weird username). Hence my reference to using my inlaws as couriers.

To return to the OP's point- They're good wee guitars, as evidenced by no-one really criticising them (yet).
    @IanSavage is somewhere in the West Midlands last time I heard. (He went to school with my wife… although I've realised that he may not have guessed who I am due to my weird username). Hence my reference to using my inlaws as couriers.
    I'd assumed it was you Phil ;) I'll see what monies I can whip together, with the tipping point likely to be the year of the one @ICBM's got a line on...
    IanSavage said:
    I'll see what monies I can whip together, with the tipping point likely to be the year of the one @ICBM's got a line on…
    I'll find out. It's more expensive though - £399 with gig bag.

Ah, could probably score a 'full-fat' Junior in white for that - thanks for looking though dude!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom