Melody maker opinions

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I've got a 2011 (IIRC) Melody Maker Special (two P90s) and I love it.  I won it in a draw and was expecting to sell it on as I already had a LP-ish guitar, but liked it so much I kept it (partly because it's P90s and my other guitar is humbuckers).  Looks cool as well - it's one of these (not my picture):imageThe fretboard is much darker on mine - I think it's the "baked maple" stuff but mine looks just like rosewood.  The paint/lacquer is extremely weedy though - it's through to the wood in a couple of places on the back of the neck already, which is either cool or not depending on your point of view.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    I'd. love a a 50's/early 60's MM.
    59 is my DOB year.
    I'm tempted to trade my 78 Tele for one.
    Are they any good ?
  • I've had two of the p90 ones from mid 2005 ish but i'm torn between the std single coil version and the humbucker versions though.
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5420
    edited June 2015
    There seem to be a ridiculous number of iterations of guitars bearing the "Melody Maker" name.

Vintage 50s & 60s: one, two or even three original style single coils on LP, DC or SG bodies.

2003 seem to look a LOT like LP Jr with a dog ear p90.

2009-10ish (fairly faithful) reissue with 1 or 2 p90ish uncovered hot single coils on a LP body.

2011-12: explorer/V/LP with one p'up either a HB, single or p90. One volume knob, no tone.

2014 is a thin, contoured LP with 2 soap bars, 2x vol & tones & the anniversary scroll inlay at the 12th fret.

Have I missed any?

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23035

There was also a "3/4 sized" short scale Melody Maker in the late '50s, early '60s - I think the scale length was actually 22.75".

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3057
    I have an 06 Melody Maker LP Jr, love it! Totally underrated IMHO

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    I had a two pickup model version of @Stimpsonslostson that was bloody lovely.  Had a nice chunky neck and just felt like a workhorse guitar.  I stupidly traded it away.  Would love to get another!
  • There seem to be a ridiculous number of iterations of guitars bearing the "Melody Maker" name.

Have I missed any?

The Melody Maker Special that I posted (somebody else's picture of) above is another one not in your list.  Two P90s with one volume, one tone and a LP-type headstock instead of the usual MM narrow one.  I think it looks pretty cool - bit like a thinner LP Special.  There certainly are a silly number of variations under the Melody Maker name!
  • Some great advice there, thx.
    Looking on fleabay at the moment, prices range from low 200's to over 500 quid, but for 500 notes you could pick up LP's, SG's etc, so are MM's worth the 500 bracket for what you get?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72540
    Looking on fleabay at the moment, prices range from low 200's to over 500 quid, but for 500 notes you could pick up LP's, SG's etc, so are MM's worth the 500 bracket for what you get?
    It depends if you prefer them to a Junior - they're a different thing. The one in the shop seems expensive for a Melody Maker at £399, but I think I prefer it to any modern (non-Historic) Junior I've played. Although I'm not a big fan of the headstock.

But if you want a Junior, buy a Junior.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Here's mine. It has a neck about the size of an average telegraph pole weighs about as much a ten pence piece and sounds fantastic.

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    attempt number 2
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10592
    edited June 2015 tFB Trader
    My explorer Melody maker
    medium chunky neck, lovely and light ... acoustically loud ... and with a pickup more subtle than the Duncan Distortion fitted as standard ... a lovely sounding and playing guitar ...
    Mind you red pickups are not everybody's cup of tea :-) 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ICBM said:
    It depends if you prefer them to a Junior - they're a different thing. The one in the shop seems expensive for a Melody Maker at £399, but I think I prefer it to any modern (non-Historic) Junior I've played. Although I'm not a big fan of the headstock.

But if you want a Junior, buy a Junior.
    I kept an eye out for a Melody Maker for a while before I landed mine, £399 seems to be a fairly standard "shop price" for a second hand MM. For example, I nearly bought this one:

but I wasn't sold on the natural finish… The same shop offered me £200 cash or £250 shop credit for mine when I decided to sell- I'm obviously hoping a private sale will get me a bit extra (it's nice to have the fall back though!)

I'm not sure I'd pay £500 for one, as @suspiciousminds says that's getting into another bracket of guitars.
    As is normal with such things once you decide exactly what you want to buy patience and polite negotiation can get you a better deal.
  • Both nice!
    Apart from the headstock is the explorer shaped one the same shape/size as the standard explorer?
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    My explorer Melody maker
    medium chunky neck, lovely and light ... acoustically loud ... and with a pickup more subtle than the Duncan Distortion fitted as standard ... a lovely sounding and playing guitar ...
    Mind you red pickups are not everybody's cup of tea :-) 

Bastard!!!!
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."