Close call with Les Paul

What's Hot
menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

I was just downstairs and my wife said from upstairs 'that things coming out of the wall'

I normally ignore such strange statements from other rooms, but decided to go up and see what the fuss is about.  I'd last been upstairs to hang my Tokai Les Paul up on the guitar hanger that's only ever had a classical guitar on it (because I only put it up a few weeks ago).

Anyway, she's stood there, holding the guitar, with the hanger just about to pop out of the wall!  I'm pretty sure if she had not noticed the movement I'd be looking at a guitar in 2 pieces.

It's one of those string swings, I'd used the plaster plugs but the house is old and the plaster obviously crusty, so I'll re install well into the brick.  I did stand there and look at the guitar hanging there for a minute thinking that I'd not tested it at LP weight before (even though for an LP it's not that heavy).

Anyway, all's well that ends well.  That would have really ruined my day if it had dropped.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Two words: hard case.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3339
    Guitars are to be played, not looked at on the wall. Case or hands.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5630
    All of my guitars are out, either on the wall or on stands. If they're kept in cases they don't get played as much.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Brize;662024" said:
    All of my guitars are out, either on the wall or on stands. If they're kept in cases they don't get played as much.
    Same for me. That said the ones with Gibbo type headstocks tend to stay cased especially the 335, makes me nervous when it's out on a stand watching the 7 & 9 yr old dervishes whirl past it.. Never worry about the Fenders though..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    I've my strat, Tele & RG on the wall but the LP stays in its case!
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Looks like all those years of marriage has finally paid dividends!
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Guitars are so much better on the wall, look cool and much more accessible.

I've had my guitars hung on walls since I started playing, no issues in nearly 20 years, just need installing properly.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Yep I keep all mine in cases.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    Decent rawl plugs and longer screws!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    I have to say, when I stop playing the guitar goes back in its case...
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3339
    Do you people who hang them on walls gig much? Maybe my 'case or hands' logic comes from gigging 3 or 4 times a week so dont play as much in the house as I would otherwise.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited June 2015
    Really glad the disaster was averted!

I completely disagree with the idea that guitars are to either be in hands or cases. For me, if my guitars aren't handy, they ain't getting picked up. And if you like the look of them too, why not appreciate them as decor? Whats better than something that makes you want to pick it up every time you walk past?

Had 5 off mine on the wall for couple of years now, absolutely no problems. I rotate which guitars are on the hangers based on what hasn't had playtime in a while/mood etc. Teles don't go on them as the headstocks are too narrow to hang securely.

They are all fixed to brick wall with decent length screws. I suppose this would make you really nervous @DrBob? (although if I had kids, I think I'd be exactly the same as you! :-)

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    You wouldn't mount your flatscreen TV on a couple of flimsy screws And the same principle applies to your guitars.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    You wouldn't mount your flatscreen TV on a couple of flimsy screws And the same principle applies to your guitars.
    Exactly, get them up properly and secure and they aren't going anywhere. They can be forgotten in the case and I think they look nice on the wall. I get why people wouldn't have them on the wall though, kids, cats, dogs, clumsy partners etc would make me nervous.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Do you people who hang them on walls gig much? Maybe my 'case or hands' logic comes from gigging 3 or 4 times a week so dont play as much in the house as I would otherwise.
    Could well be it, for you in a case is accessible. Mine would be on stands if I had room as they rarely go out.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33825
    I have all my guitars hung on the wall using string swing hangers.
    They have never let me down but I used 100mm screws.

If I had kids then I wouldn't hang them up though.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

It's not that the screws are flimsy and the raw plugs the stand ships with are good, the problem is the house is 90 years old.

Some areas of plaster are solid, in fact most still are but some areas are loose.  It seemed solid enough when I put it in but I made the mistake of not going through the plaster into the brick with extra long screws and plugs.  I have the same trouble with curtain rails etc, so end up needing to go right into brick.  I never had a problem in my previous house which was newish.

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    lustycourtier;662052" said:
    I wouldn't call it logic ? Guitars look great, just because they're gigged does not mean they need to hide away or be played? Mine are gigged and displayed, I love looking at my guitars and bass,
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Guitars are to be played, not looked at on the wall. Case or hands.
    Surely they are far more accessible on the wall though than in a case?  You simply walk past and grab the guitar rather than sliding a case out from under the bed or wherever.  I play far more guitar with them on the wall.  I have 3 hung up in the bedroom (Well actually, 2 now.....) 
    terada said:
    Really glad the disaster was averted!

I completely disagree with the idea that guitars are to either be in hands or cases. For me, if my guitars aren't handy, they ain't getting picked up. And if you like the look of them too, why not appreciate them as decor? Whats better than something that makes you want to pick it up every time you walk past?

Had 5 off mine on the wall for couple of years now, absolutely no problems. I rotate which guitars are on the hangers based on what hasn't had playtime in a while/mood etc. Teles don't go on them as the headstocks are too narrow to hang securely.

They are all fixed to brick wall with decent length screws. I suppose this would make you really nervous @DrBob? (although if I had kids, I think I'd be exactly the same as you! :-)

Looking at yours I do think 3 screws is a better idea, the string swings only have 2!