Close call with Les Paul

What's Hot

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    I hang my Warwick on a wall hanger, but I never use the plugs that come with it, always use decent ones. The bass is over 10lbs so if that holds I reckon I don't need to worry about my other guitars
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    octatonic;662081" said:

If I had kids then I wouldn't hang them up though.
    There are probably rules about that kind of thing.

I used to have a load on the walls with string swings - throw away the included mounting hardware. I'm all for 100mm screws and plugs. The early string swings only had one mounting hole - that was a little hopeful, I always drilled a second.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @menamestom you owe your wife at least a handbag :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727
    @menamestom you owe your wife at least a handbag :)
    I think your right Phil!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33824
    You wouldn't mount your flatscreen TV on a couple of flimsy screws And the same principle applies to your guitars.

It's not that the screws are flimsy and the raw plugs the stand ships with are good, the problem is the house is 90 years old.

Some areas of plaster are solid, in fact most still are but some areas are loose.  It seemed solid enough when I put it in but I made the mistake of not going through the plaster into the brick with extra long screws and plugs.  I have the same trouble with curtain rails etc, so end up needing to go right into brick.  I never had a problem in my previous house which was newish.

Our is around the same age- just over 100.
    Yes, you absolutely need to go through into the brick.
    Never use the supplied screws- go get some decent 60 to 100mm screws and a good drill with which to install them.

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I have 2 kids and 10 guitars. The guitars are all on my walls, the kids are not and so far so good.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited June 2015
    Looking at yours I do think 3 screws is a better idea, the string swings only have 2!
    Yeah the three screws hold them really nicely. It's not immediately obvious from the pic, but the hercules stands I've got have quite long arms so that the guitars can be positioned sideways. This leads to considerably more pressure on the screws, and when angled, I'm no physicist but there should be some sort of twisting force too!

Either way they make for a nice display, and mean I can squeeze 5 guitars in a space that would only cater for three flat against the wall
  • johnswissjohnswiss Frets: 393
    Does your wife like them hanging on the wall? Just that 'that things coming out of the wall' could be said by someone pulling it out in an act of sabotage, who when discovered/caught out would no doubt claim it happened by itself. Just a thought. Hope this helps ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

2 kids, 2 cats and one dog.

My guitars go back in the case.

Is it me or does anyone else think it'll attract burglars if you have them out on show?

Not really a valid excuse, but it does worry me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    SNAKEBITE said:

Is it me or does anyone else think it'll attract burglars if you have them out on show?

Yes, it does actually. I have pictures on Facebook of my guitars up too which I've considering taking down but all the neighbours know how I have it set up anyways. I live in a pretty low crime area with good neighbours and I'm almost hidden away from the main street. But still yeah, it does worry me a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    @terada - is that the Hercules GSP40WB?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72531
    Don't ever rely on plaster to hold anything heavier than a picture.

I prefer to mount a piece of nicely cut and polished wood onto the wall using a 3" No.12 screw, well into the brick or stone, and then mount the hanger on that - so you can use smaller screws that fit the hanger better. You can hide the big screw head with the hanger itself so it all looks neat.

Although I'm not very heavy, I reckon I could probably swing off it myself and not pull it down, so I'm happy with a guitar on it.

I always like to keep one guitar where I can get at it really quickly if I need to work something out, so that's what it's for. I do have it in a part of the room where it's not visible from the windows too...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I have listened carefully to all the arguments about wall hangers being harmless (not comparable with string tension etc) but I just don't want to suspend a guitar at the headstock thanks very much. I don't even store guitars flat in the case. ( I have an under the bed vintage Es guitar but it is not under the bed. If I sell it it will be an In the Wardrobe Guitar).

Oddly enough....when I didn't have any money all I dreamed about was a house with every wall covered with guitars. I could do that now but have no interest in doing so.

• teradaterada Frets: 5114
    @terada - is that the Hercules GSP40WB?
    Yeah. They've been great, although I got mine very cheap as I bought them from PMT in Southend after they had a shop refit. Got them all for a fiver each IIRC. As I mentioned earlier, they're great for neatly getting more guitars into a smaller area.
    SNAKEBITE said:

2 kids, 2 cats and one dog.

My guitars go back in the case.

Mine are in the bedroom either side of the curtains, you can't see them from outside.  But yeah, I wouldn't want to advertise them.

They are too high for the kids to reach so that's not an issue.

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5630
    Skipped said:
    I have listened carefully to all the arguments about wall hangers being harmless (not comparable with string tension etc) but I just don't want to suspend a guitar at the headstock thanks very much. I don't even store guitars flat in the case.
    You're over-thinking it dude. They're just guitars. If hanging guitars is good enough for every guitar shop ever, it's good enough for you and I.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited June 2015
    Skipped;662260" said:
    I have listened carefully to all the arguments about wall hangers being harmless (not comparable with string tension etc) but I just don't want to suspend a guitar at the headstock thanks very much. I don't even store guitars flat in the case. ( I have an under the bed vintage Es guitar but it is not under the bed. If I sell it it will be an In the Wardrobe Guitar).

Oddly enough....when I didn't have any money all I dreamed about was a house with every wall covered with guitars. I could do that now but have no interest in doing so.
    Yet pretty much every guitar shop in the world displays them this way, so must think it's safe at least, or even the safest option.

underdog said:

Yet pretty much every guitar shop in the world displays them this way, so must think it's safe at least, or even the safest option.

Zero gravity in a room lined with Alpaca fur would be even safer. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    Strangely enough I saw this today.
    :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-SG-heart-BROKEN-NO-RESERVE-/321773968830?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aeb391dbe

I used to leave my guitars out but found they got dusty and the strings didn't last as long, so they go back in the case now.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72531
    Neil said:
    Ouch. Repairable, but not easy or cheap and given that it's not a higher-range SG, probably not economical unless you're doing it yourself.

Hope the piano was OK, they're more expensive…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein