New Fender dealer rules. - stolen from richardsguitars facebook (Sorry!)

What's Hot
Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
"Have you heard about Fender?! They are going around their dealerships putting a sock over the headstocks of guitars in their dealerships!!! If the guitar can be mistake for a Fender with the sock over the headstock then the dealer can no longer sell that guitar - or face losing their dealership.

Tis true!" - Richard

What the hell? Thats nuts, especially as they didn't actually copyright the body in the same way Gibson did with the LP.

'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    what does this mean ?

Fender are putting a sock over the headstock of Fender guitars and they test the dealer to see if they can identify Fenders ??

what ?

could you try to explain what you mean a little clearer please ?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    I heard about this a while ago. Dealers like to bitch and moan about these things but generally just the ones that can't afford the dealerships and when the likes of Fender or Gibson won't let them cherry pick, they get arsey. I think there are arguments for and against this sort of thing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Fender go into a dealership
    place a sock over the head of other manufacturers guitars
    if that guitar could pass for a fender with a sock on it, they are no longer a fender dealer.
    'Awibble'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Wat?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think Fender are trying to move into direct sales though aren't they? They're just weeding out retailers of their guitars for naff reasons. 
    'Awibble'
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    This sounds like a variation on the 'all the pubs have been told to take down England flags' rumour I used to see when I was on Facebook and there was a football tournament on
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    tFB Trader
    Hertz32 said:
    I think Fender are trying to move into direct sales though aren't they? They're just weeding out retailers of their guitars for naff reasons. 
    I don't think they need to do that though do they. If they want to stop selling them to dealer then they can.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I'd be very surprised to hear they would stop supplying any retailer that it's selling a lot of guitars for them, regardless of what else they sell.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23047
    Is this for real?  First we've had Gibson increasing the prices of Historics to a point where no-one can afford them.... now Fender are going to be complete and utter twats as well?

I've been thinking for a while about buying my first Fender CS guitar.  Maybe I should just do it quick then forget about them before everything gets stupid.

• spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Philly_Q said:
    Is this for real?  First we've had Gibson increasing the prices of Historics to a point where no-one can afford them.... now Fender are going to be complete and utter twats as well?

I've been thinking for a while about buying my first Fender CS guitar.  Maybe I should just do it quick then forget about them before everything gets stupid.

Or buy a Suhr.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    Well I hope it is an authentic Fender sock. Would be pretty embarrassing if someone mistook another brand of guitar for a real Fender with a counterfeit sock on it.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just buy used :P 
    'Awibble'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    FS one sock, some signs of wear as expected with a sock but no holes. Never gigged. As good at covering headstocks as any other sock but as I've recently switched to piano I need some bigger socks.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    'Awibble'
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206

The results were not pretty when Fender attempted to implement this policy at a RHCP gig.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23047
    Philly_Q said:

Or buy a Suhr.
    Too modern for me, even the Classic Antique models.

I might consider something like an LSL or K-Line, but really I'm a sucker for that F word on the headstock (even if it is hidden under a sock).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11625
    tFB Trader
    Clever corporate plan abut to backfire in 3.....2.....1

Isn't this a bit like a popular kid at school telling other kids that they can't be his friend if they are also friends with (insert rival's name here)

Thought that only happened on US high school movies like Mean Girls.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    Sounds like nonsense to me .... What does @MattFGBI have to say on that rumour ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DougCodaDougCoda Frets: 642
    we've had no visitors with socks, I'll keep my eyes peeled and report back...in fact I may make people remove their shoes and sock before they come in just to be sure
    20reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    My feet are barely recognisable with socks on!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.