Made A Huge Mistake...

What's Hot
RoxRox Frets: 2147
...I foolishly set up my favourite guitar and amp closest to where I sit to play for convenience.

Consequently, I'm not playing any of my other guitars and now I have this urge to get rid of everything except the one guitar and amp..

Surely I'd regret doing it...

HELP!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Swap the guitars round on a monthly basis so they all get a turn in the prime spot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72501
    I'm down to two electric guitars and three amps now. Not a bad thing really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    ICBM;663177" said:
    Are 2 of those amps the same model or did you sell one of your tremoverbs?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Rox said:
    ...I foolishly set up my favourite guitar and amp closest to where I sit to play for convenience.

Consequently, I'm not playing any of my other guitars and now I have this urge to get rid of everything except the one guitar and amp..

Surely I'd regret doing it...

HELP!
    Find another spot to sit, buy another chair to sit in, put another favourite guitar and amp there and move between them regularly. 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2426
    All of the above ^

Dont, however, place your favourite newly refurbished guitar on a stand at the end of the sofa, lie down and snooze for an hour after work, then proceed to swing your legs off the sofa, clipping the guitar off the stand face first onto the floor!
    Luckily it was built like a tank so no breakages, only the 21st fret got a small D string nick and I get nosebleeds if I venture that high!
  • buy a multi-guitar stand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Owning 3 guitars or less is a very good thing.

I don't think a man can form a bond with 17 guitars.
    I am not sure about a woman.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Do nothing for at least a month and then if you still feel the same go sell your stuff.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I have one acoustic one electric and one bass, I have never been happier, and really dont feel like owning anything else.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I'm down to one guitar and by the end of the year it will be two.
    I am much happier than when I owned 6.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    One problem is that since doing this, I'm finding it more and more difficult to play the other guitars... especially the Strat-a-likes.  Never had this problem before.

It's not the first time I've played one of them exclusively for a while, but the first time it's made the other guitars seem... somehow... less...!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Although I do alternate between 2 guitars most of the time, it's nice to have a few more if only to spread the fret wear out a bit. The less often I need to crown or refret them the better. Doesn't help that I'm fairly heavy handed with my playing.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Sassafras said:
    Although I do alternate between 2 guitars most of the time, it's nice to have a few more if only to spread the fret wear out a bit. The less often I need to crown or refret them the better. Doesn't help that I'm fairly heavy handed with my playing.
    Lol, one of the reasons I got the second PRS! Woops!

Would love to get down to 2 electrics but it's not going to happen. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9707
    Skipped;663303" said:
    Owning 3 guitars or less is a very good thing.

I don't think a man can form a bond with 17 guitars.

I am not sure about a woman.
    I believe a woman is quite capable of forming a bond with 17 pairs of shoes.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    Adam_MD said:
    ICBM said:
    Sold one. I now have one Trem-o-verb, a Peavey Special and a Centurion Hi-Fi Five. I'm not counting the Marshall Mosfet 100 because it's just passing through (I prefer the Peavey) or my Orange Micro Crush because it's a toy not an amp :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Adam_MD said:
    ICBM said:
    Sold one. I now have one Trem-o-verb, a Peavey Special and a Centurion Hi-Fi Five. I'm not counting the Marshall Mosfet 100 because it's just passing through (I prefer the Peavey) or my Orange Micro Crush because it's a toy not an amp :).

What's a Centurion Hi-Fi Five?
    Sassafras said:
    What's a Centurion Hi-Fi Five?
    Not hi-fi, that's for sure :).

One of these…

http://i.imgur.com/telkQir.jpg

It's a vintage (1964) British-built, EF86/EL84/EZ80 5W amp with just volume and tone controls in an oversized but flimsy plywood 2x8" cabinet.

One of them was my first-ever amp, back in 1985 - when it was only 21 years old, amazingly! It always seemed ancient even then, but in fact my Trem-o-verb is now the same age and I still think of that as entirely modern. I didn't keep it long, and after a while I missed it but didn't even know what the make was to start looking for one, since the name badge had fallen off mine. Just a couple of years ago I found another one via a forum member here who posted a pic and I recognised it immediately.

I've done a bit of work to it to reduce the fairly severe hum it had originally, and fitted it with a simple resistive attenuator so I can crank it up a bit without stressing the fragile speakers, and it sounds really pretty good!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4151
    I'm down to one electric (plus one in build), one amp, and one acoustic*. It doesn't feel too restrictive at all, but I've started putting a tele together to give me a very different flavour to the 335, and to keep the GAS satiated.

*Plus another acoustic and electric requiring repairs, but both are 300 miles away so they don't count, right?!?!!
    I like those old oversize combos with fairly small speakers, I've never seen or even heard of Centurion amps. I once had an old Bird amp, I think it was called a Golden Eagle, that had a similar set up IIRC.
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    edited June 2015
    Sassafras said:
    I'm hard on frets too.  One thing I can say, Gibson made a song and dance about their cryogenically frozen frets and how much harder than regular frets they are.  I was skeptical but I have to say, they are wearing really well considering the use mine gets.