Danelectro - what's the score?

What's Hot
NeilNeil Frets: 3637
edited June 2015 in Guitar
Have often seen Danelectros on sites and have not taken a lot of notice but those new brightly coloured ones with the lipsticks and jazzy colours do look nice and retro.

I know they are cheaply made (semi hollow with hardboard?) but are they really cheap crap or unpolished gems?

Don't seem to see them mentioned here at all so any first hand experience, good or bad?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7198
    I love the look of the Dead on '67s. I'd be tempted by one of those for buttons, though have never played one.
  • dc59 is a great guitar, not tried any others, once has a really old vintage one think it was badged silvertone, and it had mojo but didnt play as nice as the korean one.

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    They are easily on par with guitars of a similar price - if not better
    Stop crying, start buying
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    They sound better than they've got any right to when you consider what they're made of. I had an old one that looked like it was made of Balsa wood and Formica but it sounded very good, bright and somehow acoustic like. I also had a bass that was pretty good with a very rich resonance.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I've tried them, owned them, tried to love them, failed. Cheap tat really. Apologies ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12932
    Unpolished gems.

I had a U2 56 reissue, I loved it but stupidly sold it whilst I was having a particularly brutal declutter.

The combination of the semi hollow bodies and the lipstick pickups gives them a really lovely tone. Really, really light too.

Downside is that the bridges are a bit crap - some of them aren't (easily) adjustable. If you're really anal about setups you might not get on with one. Well worth checking out though.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    Quite mixed opinions, as I surmised.

I'll have a look next time I am able.

Thanks for the input.
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    They're weird, quirky and far more fun to play than they have any right to.  Don't think I could ever use one as a main instrument, but whenever I pick up a Dano I usually end up enjoying the experience despite the construction.

The 12-string is actually one of my favourite 12's of all time at any price point - jangle galore.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72562
    They do vary a bit - the earlier reissues are generally held to be better than the recent series, and they're if anything even flimsier but do seem to have more character. A good one is really very good.

Currently I own a Convertible which is one of the oddest of the lot - fully hollow, with a very cheap floating bridge and feeds back tremendously well with any distortion at all - but it's currently on permanent loan to my singer so I haven't seen it for a while!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5163

I had a 56 U2 at one point too. It played and sounded OK, but I never particularly got to love it like my other guitars.

It probably goes without saying that they're very much their own thing as guitar- it's not like any other guitar and I can't see it being many people's main guitar except for a very select few genres of music. On the other hand, what it does do is very cool and could well find a place as a studio guitar or a "change from the other guitar " guitar.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3340
    They are Great, just dont buy new, unless you share the owners views on Homosexuality and gay marriage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They are Great, just dont buy new, unless you share the owners views on Homosexuality and gay marriage.
    That probably goes for most American stuff though doesn't it? ;)   (I don't know the background though - is the Dano boss particularly bad?)

I think Danelectro guitars look really cool but that's all I can say as I've not played one.  The DC59 in particular - I could be tempted by a 12.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    The score is that because of this thread I now have three Danelectros on my eBay watch list :|
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5163
    They are Great, just dont buy new, unless you share the owners views on Homosexuality and gay marriage.
    That probably goes for most American stuff though doesn't it? ;)   (I don't know the background though - is the Dano boss particularly bad?)

The guy who owns the company that makes Danelectro gear donated money ($10,000) to a political campaign opposing gay marriage in California in 2009. As far as I know that's all he did. 

Whether you think the personal beliefs and political convictions of a private individual are grounds to boycott his business is up to you. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    IanSavage said:
    The score is that because of this thread I now have three Danelectros on my eBay watch list :|
    Sorry Ian!.
    ;)
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Neil said:
    IanSavage said:
    Sorry Ian!.
    ;)
    S'alright; I had one of the original Korean reissue U2s and I do kinda miss it, especially now I'm playing a bit of slide...always meant to replace it!  
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    I had a 56 U2 for a while and it was a fun guitar to play. Loved the sound of it but it wasn't the best built thing I've ever had :)
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    The blue Wild Thing has been on my GAS list for a while now.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• WezVWezV Frets: 16754
    i have one of the relatively recent DC59's i have been constantly messing with for a few years

I really like it, but i would never call it a great guitar and I really don't believe its anywhere near as good as other guitars you can get for the money.   But it is authentically danelectro like, even if its less accurate than the early ones. and they do have a certain something about them

If you were after one good all round guitar for £150 the dano would be bottom of my list, but if you want a dano style guitar and like a bit of retro quirk then the reissues are good value for money.

the reissues are a laminated frame with hardboard top and back.  originals tended to be random blocks of solid wood, but actually i think the laminated versions are more consistent
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2892
    Marmite guitars :)

I had one which i liked but all my mates thought was shite and a toy. I lusted after a dead on 57 but when i tried one was truly shocked how awful it was.