Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    What band was that with John
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4241
    Mine's hard to read in direct sunlight too - I was a bit surprised by that and can see it being an issue for some players.

I'm still enjoying the unit a lot, although I'm only scratching the surface of what it can do. I'm beginning to get a bit of pedal-AS again for no real reason other than GAS tbh.

And then I remember how convenient this is.
    I guess it's a compromise
    Too bright and it would be blinding indoors
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4241
    True, but I'm guessing they'd have been able to add a dimming option?
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    A
    Cabicular;1089682" said:
    What band was that with John

Ah wasn't one of my gigs just standing in trying to pay off my Helix
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24843
    I've been having fun with a "Hevy Devy" patch from the user library.

It's like Devin Townsend's verby delayed overdrive sound with the EXP controlling the mix.

I can see myself writing a full tune with this one.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

So I've decided to flight case it and have measured up this setup. The Nobels might change for my Red Dirt or maybe not.

The SP might change for a Red Dirt mini after I have a furthe tinker with the compressor. The Dyna-comp model with the mix set to about 70 was nearly giving me the sound I get from the SP.... It's just that the SP is more detailed in the mids, in a more musical way.

I dunno... I got bored of playing through the Helix version whereas the SP makes me want to play more.

The deluxe compressor on the Helix is dynamite though
    I'm pretty sure a lot of my love for the helix is based around me running in stereo now :)
    The dual 1x12s work really well and give me a nice even spread
    We went from 2 guitar players down to just me so I felt the need to big the sound up a bit
    I don't know why I didn't do it years ago!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    So how are most of you guys using your helix's live?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    I run mine into a TOA keyboard combo, two of them if I can ;)
    Helix
    Thorpy Gunshot
    Seperate wah
    2nd Exp

1/4 jacks go into two racked Fryette Powerstations
    Into 2 Orange 1x12s with Neo Creambacks
    No cab emulation
    Volume knob controls the 1/4 outs only

XLRs have cab emulations and go to FOH directly
    Everything's Stereo
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24843
    300w bass amp using FX return.

Zilla 2x12 with Creambacks.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1008
    johnonguitar;1087262" said:
    Throaty wah- my favourite all time wah is my own Picture Wah so it's only natural I'd like the RMC emulation. The wahs are light years ahead of the M series ones (this is the point where someone tells me they are the exact same) and after a little tweak of the envelope it sounded very sweet. Vintage and sweet. Just the way I like it

You are correct!! They are exactly the same as the M series. Digital igloo told me himself when I complained that the reverbs were poor. Apparently they didn't have time to make new helix specific fx for all categories and the wahs and reverbs are ported directly from the hd/m series pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7827
    Last night I gave my first lessons using Helix :)

So cool . I had 2 paths setup, 1 from GTR in, for me, 1 from AUX in for my student, audio over USB for I tunes / reaper recording and playback.

Also got the e drums into loop 1 and 2

Outs hooked up to my samson s-phones amp, with monitor speakers and headphones being fed from this. 

Room mic connected up to the mic input, meant I could record the whole lesson, with high quality audio and the speaking too. SO I can send him a file afterwards.

It was wonderful. being able to setup a patch for the song he wanted to learn, getting all the effects, being able to alter the tones so easily.  By far and a way the best teaching rig I've ever had.

Very happy.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2016
    handsomerik;1091541" said:
    [quote="johnonguitar;1087262"]Throaty wah- my favourite all time wah is my own Picture Wah so it's only natural I'd like the RMC emulation. The wahs are light years ahead of the M series ones (this is the point where someone tells me they are the exact same) and after a little tweak of the envelope it sounded very sweet. Vintage and sweet. Just the way I like it

You are correct!! They are exactly the same as the M series. Digital igloo told me himself when I complained that the reverbs were poor. Apparently they didn't have time to make new helix specific fx for all categories and the wahs and reverbs are ported directly from the hd/m series pedals. [/quote]

Hahahahaha knew it!!

For some reason when I used my M5 (that I still have) as a wah it always sounded crap. Weird. I might need to whip it out and a/b and see what I was doing wrong with it
  • There's definitely room for improvement with the reverbs but the Wah's sound great in my opinion whether they're old models or not. 
    Fiftyshadesofjay;1091671" said:
    There's definitely room for improvement with the reverbs but the Wah's sound great in my opinion whether they're old models or not. 
    I read on the line 6 forum (or was it here?) that a reverb update is in the works
    Ok so at rehearsal tonight I decided to use the Soldano clean and crunch through my amps effects return. Used the full amp instead of just the preamp and toggled between them using one button.

I think they are both dynamite. Even the tube screamer I'm not keen on seems to come alive in front of them. Between those two and the Matchless clean channel I think they wipe the floor with the rest of the models.

I know he matchless model was released post launch, what about the soldano? It sounds much better than some of the others
    edited May 2016
    It's the amp I use John
    The clean one is just great
    I don't need anything else
    Pedals provide the dirt and it sounds great with the mods
    Want a copy of my main patch?

(I'll take a copy of yours if it's going)