Line 6 Helix

What's Hot
1422423424425426428»

Comments

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2343
    I've not gigged the Helix LT yet, still keeping to my pedalboard as it sounds better..  But I'm keen to get the helix working.

I could do with 2 extra buttons for using in pedalboard mode..I  Also quite like the idea of being able to use an expression pedal (3) which would mean by default the unit expression pedal keeps its wah/volume use .  I know you can do that with the LT but its a bit more of a faff as it would auto assign  the external expression pedal to 2 (volume).

My options are:
    1. keep the LT , put it on a pedalboard with a couple of pedals in the loops (probably drive pedals) or
    2.  sell the LT and get a full floor.

The advantages  of LT/loop,  are that I can use my own drives which in reality are a bit better than the helix. The downsides are it all gets quite a bit heavier/less compact,(  2-3 kg for pedalboard, plus a psu/ and pedals), and I still have the  auto assign of the external expression pedal  which I don't want.

So questions are:

1. How have people found the LT with drives in the loop?  
    2.  Is there anything else about the full size one that makes it better to use (scribble strips, volume knobs aside).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZappleZapple Frets: 91
    edited June 4
    I'm using a full floor but I have a Buxom Boost and a BE-OD in loops 1 & 2 of the helix, then off to the pre-amp of an amp in loop 3. that leaves loop 4 (which I don't normally need).

Full floor has 4 loops plus more I/O generally. Love the scribble strips, etc.

Mine is mounted on a Pedaltrain JR Max. Fits the helix plus up to 3 standardish size stomps down the side (sideways mounted). 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27695
    thomasw88 said:
    I've not gigged the Helix LT yet, still keeping to my pedalboard as it sounds better..  But I'm keen to get the helix working.

I could do with 2 extra buttons for using in pedalboard mode..I  Also quite like the idea of being able to use an expression pedal (3) which would mean by default the unit expression pedal keeps its wah/volume use .  I know you can do that with the LT but its a bit more of a faff as it would auto assign  the external expression pedal to 2 (volume).

My options are:
    1. keep the LT , put it on a pedalboard with a couple of pedals in the loops (probably drive pedals) or
    2.  sell the LT and get a full floor.

The advantages  of LT/loop,  are that I can use my own drives which in reality are a bit better than the helix. The downsides are it all gets quite a bit heavier/less compact,(  2-3 kg for pedalboard, plus a psu/ and pedals), and I still have the  auto assign of the external expression pedal  which I don't want.

So questions are:

1. How have people found the LT with drives in the loop?  
    2.  Is there anything else about the full size one that makes it better to use (scribble strips, volume knobs aside).
    Not LT but I use my Stomp with a few outboard pedals in the loop (drives and a talkbox). It works very well. 

FWIW if I was going fully Helix for my rig I'd definitely want the big one - the scribble strips are a big improvement in usability vs the screen. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    I'm actually going in the other direction.

I have been using a full fat Helix for the last 4-5yrs, which I love, but its got harder to manage for me when considering adding other pedals in terms of pedalboard size. I want to start using the SY200 as well as a talk box so that's additional pedalboard real estate I've got to cater for. I've also been using a different snapshot just for a wah lead, (its the lead patch that I use but with Wah enabled on the in-built expression pedal), but I've found that I prefer my older way of using a Morley switchless that just turns on/off when I touch it. This allows for more spontaneous usage on the rhythm or fill snapshots too. The 20/20 Morley range fits the bill in terms of functionality and size so I'll be heading in that direction.

I love using Helix Native for home composing, but have found that 3 or 4 patches for live use is all that I really need. And to be honest, matching the output levels for too many patches becomes arduous. As does ensuring that they blend well with the other guitarist's sound.

So I now have a Stomp XL and will use the 4 snapshot switches consistently across all patches. Clean, rhythm, fills and lead. So I'll not need to second guess what button does what function as they'll be colour coded the same across all patches. Scribble strips are brilliant, but this simplified approach makes my life easy when playing live and that's important. I use the colours of the buttons more than the scribble strips to be honest.

I'm hoping that I can get a bit of time to link the SY200 to the Stomp XL so I can get the MIDI sorted, and also see the best way of incorporating the talk box. I have a Morley Tripler which I've used many years ago for this sort of situation, so might use that. There may be other routing options on the XL that makes this all easier, but I'll look into that over time.

For me, the whole Helix sound and functionality is really a game changer, but for live usage, its my requirements that are limiting the need for a full fat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2952
    I just recently went from LT to Floor. I'm not massively fussed about the extra I/O or even the scribble strips (I bought it because the Thomann deal was too good), but the ability to assign the bank up/down buttons to extra stomps/snapshots is massive for me. I also use an external expression pedal, but that's because I like wah on my left foot.

I can't imagine ever wanting to use standalone pedals with it. 1., I've had no trouble with the ones in the Helix, and 2., it sort of defeats the point!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24843
    Yeah - the only external pedals I've used with mine are Synths and Envelope Filters, and that is sparingly.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3070
    Yeah - the only external pedals I've used with mine are Synths and Envelope Filters, and that is sparingly.
    Current band covers Lonely Boy by the Black Keys, for which I use a Boss PS-6. I'm currently using a small pedal board at rehearsals, but will use my Helix (Rack) for gigs. Not sure how I'll replicate that.
  • guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 607
    Bidley said:
    I just recently went from LT to Floor. I'm not massively fussed about the extra I/O or even the scribble strips (I bought it because the Thomann deal was too good), but the ability to assign the bank up/down buttons to extra stomps/snapshots is massive for me. I also use an external expression pedal, but that's because I like wah on my left foot.

I can't imagine ever wanting to use standalone pedals with it. 1., I've had no trouble with the ones in the Helix, and 2., it sort of defeats the point!
    +1 I quite like the drives on the helix. Plus, there’s no way I can be bothered to add in extra drive pedals. It’s heavy enough as it is! 
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 228
    Bidley said:
    +2 I recently downsized from an LT to the HX Effects. My friend came round and we A/B'd a load of drive pedals just to see...the differences were minimal in almost all cases, and especially for home use by an intermediate (at best) player so that's me done. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    As a bedroom guitarist I did briefly think about selling my Helix LT & just using Helix Native through studio monitors.

But decided that I would miss some of the options that are not available on Native like:
    Volume/ Wah pedal
    Looper

And also: Snapshots & Tuner. I much prefer accessing these via footswitch & not having to take my hands off the guitar to reach for the computer mouse to access them.

edited June 6
    have just gone for the full size Helix,  there was a B stock on at Thomann at a good price.  LT up for sale now!  Was seriosuly contemplating looking at the Fender Tonemaster Pro or Fractal FM9, but think I'll stick with the Helix family for a bit.

Does the Novation 25 rucksack fit it ok?  It works well with the LT and saw a video of a guy using it for the full floor but wanted to see what other people thought of it.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1712
    edited June 6
    thomasw88 said:
          Does the Novation 25 rucksack fit it ok?  It works well with the LT and saw a video of a guy using it for the full floor but wanted to see what other people thought of it.

I have this backpack and yes it does..  best fit is the expression pedal end in first...

I prefer to keep mine in a Diago case, I added hinges to protect it from beer and light

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

thomasw88 said:

I have this backpack and yes it does..  best fit is the expression pedal end in first...

I prefer to keep mine in a Diago case, I added hinges to protect it from beer and light

Is that the diago gigman? I've got the showman but that's quite a bit bigger. 
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1712
    thomasw88 said:
    thomasw88 said:

I think its the showman.. bought it used... 15 * 30 inches externally approx
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

thomasw88 said:
    thomasw88 said:

I think its the showman.. bought it used... 15 * 30 inches externally approx
    yeah thats the showman..   I'll keep min.  there's gigs where the backpack will be much handier though.