Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• DaiganzenDaiganzen Frets: 103
    Daiganzen said:
    I am hoping for Helix + Which still keeps the same OS and Moddeling but can Run More things at Once
    So they do work on making the existing models in Helix less dsp heavy. Happened at least a couple of times but there are plenty of ways round the DSP limitations to get what you want. 

The One effect i use a lot that sucks the most DSP is the Poly Capo to tune my guitar for certain songs. (I play in a cover Band) Even on a full fat Helix it still uses up a lot of proccesing power. If i could Get a Helix + I would buy it in a heart beat currently i run a Digitech Whammy DT on my board to facilitate this and also Whammy for some RATM

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27881
    Honestly I'm still half tempted to send one to my folks in the UK to hang on to for me
    You don't want to be bothering your folks with stuff like that!

Shall I PM you my address?
    :D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2951
    edited May 2
    I ordered one of the Thomann bargains!

Anyone want to buy an LT? Heh...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 813
    I missed out on the Thomann bargain, but bought a Helix Floor second hand for a good price. 

Can anyone recommend any good resources for learning the basics of the unit and software? 

I’m reasonably tech savvy and will be using it with a Mac. 
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 295
    Jason Sadites has some excellent tutorial and tips channel for the Helix. His channel is a great mix of deep dive and quick tips videos.

Jason Sadites - YouTube 
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 813
    Chris.B said:
    Jason Sadites has some excellent tutorial and tips channel for the Helix. His channel is a great mix of deep dive and quick tips videos.

Jason Sadites - YouTube 
    Thank you. I’ll check him out 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4173
    It's a great channel. He does often take an age to get to the point though - but that's a very common YouTube thing isn't it? Having to wade through 20 minutes of guff just to find out what knob to twiddle and to what number. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • willowillo Frets: 389
    It's a great channel. He does often take an age to get to the point though - but that's a very common YouTube thing isn't it? Having to wade through 20 minutes of guff just to find out what knob to twiddle and to what number. 
    In his video notes, you'll usually find a link to a free basic version of whatever amp preset he's working on. They are decent, saves time. 

I am increasingly finding the tone matched IRs that people sell online valuable. It's basically like an EQd substitute for a speaker cabinet so it simplifies the process of getting a good amp and can sound (although the new cab engine is really decent too).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I don't really understand what Tone Matched IRs are. Maybe I need to look into it.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2339
    edited May 6
    Just bought an LT..  I'm planning on using it primarily as an effects board. I prefer real amps to modellers, but would like something that's going to be easy to use and reliable for effects. 

I've had the hx stomp, boss gt1000, gk100 and various others so not a total noob with modelling. 

Any tips for using it 4cm into an amp? Will probably use a couple of blocks for drives but mainly just wah,modulations, delays and reverb.  Do you still need to do some mystical eq cuts in this way?   

I don't really understand what Tone Matched IRs are. Maybe I need to look into it.
    So it differs from person to person but in Helix world it's broadly it's a more complex IR creation whereby an IR is created, then a corrective EQ is applied to it to 'match' that of the real life amp and cab.

One of the Helix Devs pointed out the limitations of this though:

"Just remember that IRs are linear filters - basically complicated EQs. That can get you pretty far in terms of timbre but it will never capture anything like non-linear behavior, sag, etc. So it's still the Helix model and it will behave like the Helix model, it just has an EQ applied to it to make it sound closers to what they were getting from their target amp."

Kind of like what my expectations are - it's not a replacement for a profiler but it's a shortcut to a pleasing EQ.
  • guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 602
    @wilo can you recommend some tone matched it’s? The only ir’s I use are the free one from ml Soundlabs and some from oka englund. 
    @wilo can you recommend some tone matched it’s? The only ir’s I use are the free one from ml Soundlabs and some from oka englund. 
    So I've downloaded some from Worship Tutorials and Tone Junkie. TJ ones were good on the Fenders but there was a lot of different presets, IRs for multiple configurations. And everything was set to odd/varying output levels and with too many effects on. I found them good raw sounds but ultimately a bit of a faff. The WT stuff is much much better organised and so easier to use as a platform for tone.

Let me know what types of stuff you play, and what types of amps & guitars you like to use, and I'll see if there's anything I can record and upload for you. Won't be an issue, but it would be good for you to know if you like them as they can get a bit pricey.
    Helix cabs - especially since the update - are good enough for me. I like to use modellers to get a good sound, I'm never trying to match to some imagined ideal real world amp or recording. 

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2951
    thomasw88 said:
    Do you still need to do some mystical eq cuts in this way?   

Only if you're using the modelling aspect, IMO.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2177
    I use my LT just to go into the front of an amp, just use snapshots for the Pink Floyd stuff. Saves the tap dancing!
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    Rich31k said:
    Chris.B said:

Jason Sadites - YouTube 
    Thank you. I’ll check him out 
    I would say the most important thing is to keep it simple. Start with an amp and a cab that you have at least some idea of how that should sound with certain settings. If it's not quite right change the mic or the mic position. Just those elements should get you 90% there. The rest is just fairy dust. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24796
    Bidley said:
    thomasw88 said:
    Do you still need to do some mystical eq cuts in this way?   

Only if you're using the modelling aspect, IMO.
    4CM uses real cabs so there is no need. The physical cab will do it for you.

I WANT TO BUY:
    Fairfield "The Accountant" Compressor Pedal.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2339
    So what's the general experience of using preamps either into the front of a normal amp or in the effects return?  Brit J45 Sounds pretty decent into my Hotrod deluxe (both ways).     I've not tried 4cm yet into my Badcat amp but will have a bash tomorrow at this.

I hadn't actually realised cos I'm thick.. but the LT  is basically a bigger/better pod go so its not actually overly complicated to use.. 

thomasw88 said:
    So what's the general experience of using preamps either into the front of a normal amp or in the effects return?  Brit J45 Sounds pretty decent into my Hotrod deluxe (both ways).     I've not tried 4cm yet into my Badcat amp but will have a bash tomorrow at this.

I hadn't actually realised cos I'm thick.. but the LT  is basically a bigger/better pod go so its not actually overly complicated to use.. 

I find the problem with the HX preamps is so many of them are so flipping quiet. I wish they'd matched the volume with the full amps. Some are so quiet it makes using them difficult.

But on the whole I actually find using the full amps into my effects return sounds better. 

I do sometimes use the pre-amps as dirt pedals though, especially as the Helix is lacking in high gain pedal options.