Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• duotone said:

Excellent. I've just downloaded it. Now I'll be able to play like him :)

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 291
    @duotone Thank you for the link to the patch, I'll give it a try - there's no way my old fingers will ever go that fast, but I do like his tones. 

• Has anyone had chance to dive in with the non-linear reverb model yet? It can certainly do reverse reverb but occurred to me it might also be able to capture of EarthQuaker Afterneath-type sounds too - I don't have one but would love to see if someone has done a side-by-side with it 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27267
    edited December 2023
    I'll be pushing the button on an HX One for the main band gigging board sometime before midnight, which should be fun. 

I'm also looking at a big Helix again for a duo project. We want to integrate some looping (subject to working out songs that will suit that), and I feel like the big Helix would be a good all-in-one way to get some foot control while minimising the gear I need to bring out. Essentially an iPad and a Helix and all guitar/vocal stuff would go through the HX.

It's early days but I'm hoping it could work very well; main question at this stage is how to handle vocals as there will be 2 of us singing - is that possible with the Helix alone?

EDIT: to clarify I'm thinking guitar sounds and midi control signals from the HX into the iPad running Loopy Pro, likely with drums/synths in the iPad as well
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I wouldn't buy a helix just for a looper. There are lot better loopers out there and much cheaper. That being said, if you wanted a helix anyway, it's got some cool features but it's not an £1000 plus cool
  • Jetfire said:
    I wouldn't buy a helix just for a looper. There are lot better loopers out there and much cheaper. That being said, if you wanted a helix anyway, it's got some cool features but it's not an £1000 plus cool
    I wouldn’t be using helix itself as a looper - I’ll use Loopy on iPad for that. But I like the idea of sending midi commands from the helix to control some of the loopy functions
  • I'll be pushing the button on an HX One for the main band gigging board sometime before midnight, which should be fun. 

I'm also looking at a big Helix again for a duo project. We want to integrate some looping (subject to working out songs that will suit that), and I feel like the big Helix would be a good all-in-one way to get some foot control while minimising the gear I need to bring out. Essentially an iPad and a Helix and all guitar/vocal stuff would go through the HX.

It's early days but I'm hoping it could work very well; main question at this stage is how to handle vocals as there will be 2 of us singing - is that possible with the Helix alone?

EDIT: to clarify I'm thinking guitar sounds and midi control signals from the HX into the iPad running Loopy Pro, likely with drums/synths in the iPad as well
    The big helix has a mic input ( as you already know) but you can also use one of the returns for a mic too ( although you’ll need a box for the xlr to jack). As long as you don’t need too many paths on the helix, you should be fine. I suppose you use a mini mixer for two mics before running it into the helix xlr to free up more dsp?
    I'll be pushing the button on an HX One for the main band gigging board sometime before midnight, which should be fun. 

The big helix has a mic input ( as you already know) but you can also use one of the returns for a mic too ( although you’ll need a box for the xlr to jack). As long as you don’t need too many paths on the helix, you should be fine. I suppose you use a mini mixer for two mics before running it into the helix xlr to free up more dsp?
    Good to know. I also wouldn't mind running mics straight to iPad with a separate interface as I don't think we'll need any fx on those beyond basic compressions/reverb and maybe occasional delay. 
  • I'll be pushing the button on an HX One for the main band gigging board sometime before midnight, which should be fun. 

Good to know. I also wouldn't mind running mics straight to iPad with a separate interface as I don't think we'll need any fx on those beyond basic compressions/reverb and maybe occasional delay. 
    Mic through the helix is cool tho, as you can do all sorts of fx on the fly with snapshots. I’ve never done it live, but used them when teaching online during covid. Mainly to entertain myself! 
  • willowillo Frets: 386
    Did anyone play out last night with their Helix?

I played a small local venue and it was a great night. Direct to FOH with a monitor in the backline. Not only do I love the setup and portability, but I had quite a lot of compliments around the tone also. It's always great to hear that other people enjoyed the sound of your setup. I was playing into a patch built around the Divided by 13 amps, which I am finding to be a nice match with the Telecaster (provided you make judicious use of the tone control to stop things getting too bright - hence the monitor).

I had been afflicted by the usual GAS and wondering about a return to valve amps, but I think the grass is often greener. The Helix really is a great tool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300

Mic through the helix is cool tho, as you can do all sorts of fx on the fly with snapshots. I’ve never done it live, but used them when teaching online during covid. Mainly to entertain myself! 
    All 3 tuned musicians in my band have helixes so we experimented with using them on vocals...pretty poor results though. Singer has had both boss and TC pedals that were much better.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 299
    Anyone here with an HX One that can answer a (seemingly) dumb question? 

I'm after a single, stereo stomp box for some delay reverb and maybe some other fun tones in the effects loop of my Boss IR-2. I'm also after a stereo looper to sit behind that effect. The HX One seems ideal, but I don't seem to understand how it works with the looper. I get how a 1-button looper works, but can the HX looper work while another effect is engaged, or is the ONE in HX One really ONE and it's either an effect or looper? That would effectively mean I need the HX Effects which isn't exactly what I'm after. 

Thanks very much. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28750
    Never used the HX One, but I bought a Boss 4 500 to go with my Helix - I found the Helix looper just too fiddly to control, particularly if you want to change effects mid-loop. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12964
    pt22 said:

I'm after a single, stereo stomp box for some delay reverb and maybe some other fun tones in the effects loop of my Boss IR-2. I'm also after a stereo looper to sit behind that effect. The HX One seems ideal, but I don't seem to understand how it works with the looper. I get how a 1-button looper works, but can the HX looper work while another effect is engaged, or is the ONE in HX One really ONE and it's either an effect or looper? That would effectively mean I need the HX Effects which isn't exactly what I'm after. 

Thanks very much. 
    In the manual, the Looper is listed as one of the items on the effects list. So I'm about 99% sure that its "effects or looper" but maybe someone who has one (or @Digital_Igloo) can confirm.

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 763
    pt22 said:

Thanks very much. 
    In the manual, the Looper is listed as one of the items on the effects list. So I'm about 99% sure that its "effects or looper" but maybe someone who has one (or @Digital_Igloo) can confirm.

That's how HX Effects works - the looper takes up a block like any other effect. I expect the One is limited to just one effect at a time, which could be a looper OR something else. Might be wrong though. 
    edited January 11
    It appears 3.71 is about to drop..... but only glitch fixes sadly..
    Jetfire said:
    Source & details? 

Though TBH it wouldn't surprise me even if it's mostly just a bug fix after the HX One launch. 
    Jetfire said:
    Source & details? 

Though TBH it wouldn't surprise me even if it's mostly just a bug fix after the HX One launch. 
    Go open HXEdit, tells you in there...
    Jetfire said:
    Jetfire said:
    Source & details? 

Go open HXEdit, tells you in there...
    https://line6.com/support/page/kb/effects-controllers/helix/helixhx-370371-release-notes-r1052/

There we go
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom