Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• @rossyamaha... be carefull - one false move, and @Drew_fx will be after your job! :)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    @rossyamaha... be carefull - one false move, and @Drew_fx will be after your job! :)

And who could blame him.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Strat_a_tat_tat it appears there is already something out there. It appears I can tell you it's a Yamaha product. I feel a new thread coming on!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    @Strat_a_tat_tat it appears there is already something out there. It appears I can tell you it's a Yamaha product. I feel a new thread coming on!

well now I'm intrigued.....
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

Sorry I took so long to answer.

To my ears the Fractal stuff is the best digital modelling available. I haven't heard anything from the Helix yet that would sway me away from the forthcoming AX8 or a used AFX2, if/when I decided to go back to digital.

I am mightily impressed by the Helix as I have said before. My logic is; as I don't think it could top a Fractal unit tonally, could the Helix come close enough that I would sacrifice that for the areas where it would be better (like usability).

I'm not trying to dampen the enthusiasm for anyone who has decided to get one.

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I don't understand your logic, Fractal is one bloke, Line 6 is a big company, with Yamaha's big backing. Why couldn't they match or better it tonally?

I think the Helix is great.

If anyone was offended or annoyed by my earlier comment, that was certainly not my intention. I'm not one of those who posts just to get peoples backs up.

The Line 6 and Yamaha guys that take the time to post here are rightly appreciated and rightly proud of their new unit.

There is inevitably going to be comparisons between the Helix and Fractal's upcoming AX8. They should both do a similar job very well. It's great to have the choice.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I dealt with some of the Yamaha product teams from there sw1000xg to the 01x and i88x (Nick Howes and Peter Peck) even had a very enjoyable meeting with some Japanese execs in Milton Keynes
    Yamaha have always been innovative and forward thinking. Line 6 and Steinberg were both excellent acquisitions. I can't wait to see what is next
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7506
    edited August 2015
    I don't understand your logic, Fractal is one bloke, Line 6 is a big company, with Yamaha's big backing. Why couldn't they match or better it tonally?
    That will sell at a price point comparable to, but below, the fractal gear. And will be a brand new product compared to how long fractal has been out? Hopefully line 6 will continue to provide support for this with a stream of updates and model packs. I really doubt sound quality will be an issue - pod farm uses old modelling and the amps on that sound fairly good, when going through proper IRs. Not as good or as tweakable as fractal but very good. If the helix let's you dial in great sounds quicker and simpler than the fractal, with that screen that makes everything very clear and simple to use, and with the various routing options including loops for your own stomps and 4cm, I really don't see how line 6 can cock up. The work flow, as drew would call it, looks very straightforward, and that along with sound is the most important thing. Fractal kit is a bit repellant compared to a nice touch screen, touch/press buttons and a straightforward interface. Edit: there were paragraphs! Also, I accidentally quoted the wrong person, I wanted to quote @electrodan.

The above was kind of what I was getting at.

I love everything about the Helix, but naturally will compare it to it's direct competitors before parting with (what for me will be) a significant amount of money.

At the moment, with what is available to hear online, I prefer the tones of Fractal gear. In every other aspect I prefer the Helix.

I certainly wasn't suggesting the Helix wouldn't sound great. I was excited to see such a great piece of gear get released.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11512
    My money is on a Yamaha Variax of some kind.
  • crunchman;747815" said:
    rossyamaha said:

My money is on a Yamaha Variax of some kind.
    Hope not. They've already done that
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11512
    AFAIK it's still the same electronics that have been on the existing Variax for years. Surely some kind of improved electronics are due.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    @rossyamaha would that be Yam stuff or Line 6 stuff?  Go on... you can tell us... no one's watching!
    Hmm, I'll find out what I can say on Wednesday.
    If possible Ross, I'd really love to see the list of parameters available for tweaking on the amp and cab blocks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx;747940" said:
    rossyamaha said:

Strat_a_tat_tat said:

@rossyamaha would that be Yam stuff or Line 6 stuff?  Go on... you can tell us... no one's watching!

Hmm, I'll find out what I can say on Wednesday.

If possible Ross, I'd really love to see the list of parameters available for tweaking on the amp and cab blocks.
    I'll see what I can find out. I would imagine it to be extensive.

• crunchman;747893" said:
    AFAIK it's still the same electronics that have been on the existing Variax for years. Surely some kind of improved electronics are due.
    An improvement would be welcomed as the JTV electronics are as glitchy as hell

Every single firmware upgrade posed a multitude of new glitches.

I speak as someone that's owned every Variax model going at some stage. Including 3 JTV models.

Hence why I went back to taking 4-5 guitars out gigging.
  • We should probably start a new thread for the big yamaha reveal.

My money's now on a new amp of some sort. A new THR maybe.

Teasers are now kicking around
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1008
    Where are they kicking around? Do you have links?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27074
    I'm gonna brace myself...now, please consider that I can do very interesting things to your accounts. Consider your responses extremely carefully.

<space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7827
    I'm gonna brace myself...now, please consider that I can do very interesting things to your accounts. Consider your responses extremely carefully.

was just about to post this too...