Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Plectrum said:
    Vaiai said:
    Been asked to do a Queen gig and wondered if you guys have any good Brian May patches- getting set list tmrw so will know the actual songs and sounds I need to learn to replicate!
    I believe he uses a Tubescreamer into an AC30. That should be easy to reproduce I'd have thought. The old sixpence he uses instead of a plectrum is also a very important component of his sound I believe. A 10p coin might do that job.
    Dava Master Control Nickel Silver

A lot more than 10p but a lot more user friendly. Think they’re about £4 each usually
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1021
    Vaiai said:
    Been asked to do a Queen gig and wondered if you guys have any good Brian May patches- getting set list tmrw so will know the actual songs and sounds I need to learn to replicate!
    @Vaiai ;

There’s a preset on the Helix for ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ that should get you fairly close.
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 89
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Brian mays tone isn’t unusual
    a fairly distorted amp with a chorus behind it will get you in the territory
    the rest of it is in how you play
    it’s a really lazy rhythmic style on the lead. Always slightly behind the beat. So slow bends that resolve just after the beat. And his runs are like beat poetry that are flowing but almost independent of the meter
    if you get the playing style right the tone pretty much comes from that. It’s a weird kind of genius. He is genuinely unlike any other guitarist.
    Brian May sounds like himself on almost any rig and almost any guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I asked Richie Castellano for his vids of him setting up his sounds for playing with Roger Taylor recently and the reason I couldn't find them is cos they were FB streams - not on his YT! lol Thanks for the info! 
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1021
    edited March 2018
    Updated to 2.54, but am not seeing the new amps etc.  Any idea what I've done wrong? 

EDIT: Sorted now, was still using the old Helix Editor (Grey/Black on the Desktop) & not the newer HX Edit  (Blue/White on the Desktop)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    edited March 2018
    TS808 and a Boss GE7 to get that nasal honk should be in the ballpark
  • So when are we expecting v3.0?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Any you guys excited about the new Line 6 Power Cab?
    Any you guys excited about the new Line 6 Power Cab?
    I don’t see what it gives me that monitoring via an L2 doesn’t. That cab frequency response is already modelled ...plus I’m not sure if I can also monitor vocals in FRFR mode
    im also not sure what the point of emulating an Alnico blue speaker in my wedge gives me (over the IR I already have)
    i suspect it’s not for me
  • Cabicular said:
    I don’t see what it gives me that monitoring via an L2 doesn’t. That cab frequency response is already modelled ...plus I’m not sure if I can also monitor vocals in FRFR mode
    im also not sure what the point of emulating an Alnico blue speaker in my wedge gives me (over the IR I already have)
    Yeah I’m getting the feeling that for a lot of guys there it won’t be anymore coveinient enough (if at all) to prise those who already have speakers away but might be a good option for those who don’t already have one 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29108
    Cabicular said:

Saves DSP in the Helix? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Isn’t the point that it sounds like an amp, rather than an IR of an amp? So that the monitoring experience is more traditional.

Sporky said:
    Cabicular said:

Saves DSP in the Helix? 
    Well I would need two as I go stereo to FOH
    its a lot of money for a tiny saving

Cabicular said:
    Sporky said:
    Cabicular said:

Saves DSP in the Helix? 
    In fact I would have change from another helix
    Isn’t the point that it sounds like an amp, rather than an IR of an amp? So that the monitoring experience is more traditional.

I guess
    i used to think FRFR wasn’t as good
    but the more I do it the more I challenge that assumption
    I don’t even think about it live
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29108
    Cabicular said:
    Sporky said:
    Cabicular said:

Saves DSP in the Helix? 
    I didn't say it was a good idea! 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27076
    Cabicular said:
    The sound of a speaker without the mic in front of it. If you don't care about that - and I'm with you there - then it's not for you.

This is for all the people who complain that modellers don't give them the "amp in the room" sound/feel.

Frankly, I couldn't give a toss...my only concern in a live situation is whether I can hear it; ultimate realism and sound quality is pretty much the furthest thing from my mind, and the audience will only ever hear my amp with a mic in front of it regardless of how my monitoring's set up.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1008
    edited April 2018
    I kind of get The Powercab product. I’ve tried various frfr speakers and not got in well with them. I then used the helix as a pedalboard for my Mesa rectoverb. Now trying frfr again with a Yamaha dxr10 speaker.

I’m enjoying it and it’s working well for gigs but it definitely sounds different than an amp in the room.

Given all the options in Helix it’d be great if they would have an option on board to simply remove the mic and model amp in the room sound. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom