Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Nah. No point doing that either. Might as well just stick with my Fame bass.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx said:
    I just cancelled my order.

Without a band, there is no point in me owning a Helix. That's about the size of it. I may come back to it at some point.

@Drew_fx. Damn.... damn.... damn. I was depending on you to get one and put it through its paces - so I could read an informed evaluation of how it measures up in the real world.

Now I'm going to have to rely on reading TGP reviews by people that have never gigged in a proper band... and have only played hymns through a Roland Microcube.

On the other hand... my wife thanks you for the extra £1,070 that can now be transferred from my GAS budget to her shoe fund.

:x
  • ThorpyFX said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    People on the first batch of UK orders are not going to be getting them this Friday.

@ThorpyFX. Have ThorpyFX bought out Yamaha? :)

If so... you're going to need another soldering iron.

hahaha i do not have pockets deep enough sadly

... give it time! :)
    edited October 2015
    :))

Sorry chap!

I am *seriously* thinking about quitting music altogether. I know I keep saying it, and then changing my mind and saying dumb shit. And I know most of my friends and the dudes on here think I'd be bonkers to quit. But I have to do what is right for me. I'm not having the best of times right now, and more gear is really not going to solve my issues. I need to be a bit more clever with my money right now, and think hard about where my future lies.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx said:

Sorry chap!

I am *seriously* thinking about quitting music altogether. I know I keep saying it, and then changing my mind and saying dumb shit. And I know most of my friends and the dudes on here think I'd be bonkers to quit. But I have to do what is right for me. I'm not having the best of times right now, and more gear is really not going to solve my issues. I need to be a bit more clever with my money right now, and think hard about where my future lies.

Yeah... in your current frame of mind, buying more kit is not the answer (and it's rare to find me saying that... coz kit is usually the answer for me - even when I don't understand the question).

That said... if I were you, I wouldn't worry about being 'clever with your money'... take some time off from music - and you may decide to come back to it when the time is right for you.  Meanwhile focus on being 'clever' with your life, wife (and anything else that rhymes with 'ife').

Good luck dude.

• Drew_fx said:
    Totally been there, my friend. Moved to LA for music, right before the entire industry took a huge dump. Royalty checks are drying up, and my singer's bugging me to finish the record. Very little desire to produce music, because why bother? You can't make a living from it, everyone and their mom can do it, and your tracks end up heard most often on $1 smartphone earbuds. Luckily, I also love designing gear—it's been my excuse to avoid studio time for years now.

If you ever find your way to NAMM, I'll buy you a pint.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It makes sense I guess. Buy a Stingray instead?
    Very wise idea. I'd take one of these over a Helix any day. 

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7853
    Drew_fx said:

Sorry chap!

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx said:
    Totally been there, my friend. Moved to LA for music, right before the entire industry took a huge dump. Royalty checks are drying up, and my singer's bugging me to finish the record. Very little desire to produce music, because why bother? You can't make a living from it, everyone and their mom can do it, and your tracks end up heard most often on $1 smartphone earbuds. Luckily, I also love designing gear—it's been my excuse to avoid studio time for years now.

Hear you there dude. I could deal with the lack of money, hot babes, success, fame etc... but when you lose the perfect unit for songwriting, it really makes you want to take a step back.

If you ever find your way to NAMM, I'll buy you a pint.
    I might be there in 2016 as it goes. If I am I'll give you a shout!
  • Drew_fx;817035" said:

Sorry chap!

At the end of the day you don't owe anyone anything when it comes to music. For the vast majority of people it is an outlet, which ultimately means the driving factors are internal. Things change over time.

Personally I don't believe creativity is totally tied to the physical skill of playing. Actually playing the guitar is a physical skill that really doesn't take that much to brush up on if you've played to higher levels then taken breaks. So my feelings on it are play when you've got an idea you want to try or just when it makes you feel good, and do something else when it doesn't.

I don't see much point in using words like 'quitting' because the only person who really cares about the finality about it long term will be you, and why make anything more emotionally difficult for yourself. Why not just look at it as if it is less of a priority right now, then you won't have to worry about if you've quit forever, for a while, or not quit etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited October 2015
    Ive got a friend of mine whose been going through the a similar thing, sent a bunch of demos to a record label a year ago and they liked them. He goes "hey maybe I CAN be a musician" holes up for a year to write his great album, gets writers block, buys a bunch of expensive gear and then quits entirely and sells it all. The funny thing was he didn't have the writers block UNTIL he got a heads up from the label and started "taking his music seriously". Then he just dried up. Its self inflicted pressure, the psychological weight associated with "being a musician" as part of your identity. He stopped being able to have fun with it.
  • maidenfanmaidenfan Frets: 197
    edited October 2015
    Drew_fx said:

Sorry chap!

Image result for hipster dad in starbucks

;-)

@Drew_fx

• welshboyo said:
    so @guitargeek62 any news??

I ain't heard anything yet and I've been promised I'm on 1st wave....

Got another update this afternoon - expected arrival date (to Andertons) has moved out to the 20th.

No dramas from me though, but also very little impact from the delays - unlike some of you!

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7816
    Drew_fx;817035" said:

Sorry chap!

Sorry to be reading that. I think its a natural cycle in music though. If you care about what you do a spend a lot of time/energy/money on a project, then it's only natural that when it comes to an end it feels flat and deflating.

I took time out from 2007 to 2012. I got totally burnt out trying and failing to be a "pro" ended up working as a ski bum for 5 years..

Did me the world of good and I am enjoying myself more than ever. You don't lose the skills and time changes you anyway so when you come back what you want to do is different.

Take a break, do a couple of things you've not had time or money for before because of the music... then have another go in a few weeks/months/years.
  • I was in Guitar Guitar Birmingham today & they seemed to think it's been delayed until the end of next month.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    OK folks, wee update for you. We've started shipping! Not many units but some left today (I don't know who to at the mo) so should be with dealers early next week. A second wave will arrive with us next week and then more the week after. Unless something goes wrong all pre orders should hopefully be cleared by the end of the month. That's not a promise or a guarantee though. We're still at the mercy of other people for now.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7853
    that puts my having to wait an extra day for my M5 into perspective ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • That's good news. Hopefully Absolute Music in Bournemouth will get at least one unit - I'm top of their pre-order list :)
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    The latest 'artist' demo is pretty good.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Still think it looks fantastic and since I play bass as well the attraction of an all-in-one unit is really attractive.

I won't be spending £1000+ on gear any time soon but hope it's a huge success and drives cheaper technology.