Tell me about Edwards Les Paul copies

What's Hot
jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
So as my new band is gearing up to play live by September. I'm not looking forward to dragging 2 PRS Customs out on the road. In terms of a backup guitar the PRS Fredrick Akesson was looking tempting. But the Edwards John Sykes also looks pretty good. Any owners want to share their experiences?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StefBStefB Frets: 2355

I had one (I owned the same one twice in fact!) and can't recommend them highly enough.  Impeccable build quality, great looks in the JS livery, tappable Duncans and quality hardware throughout; there isn't much not to like, although the example I had was a tad on the heavy side.

The ebony 'board felt sublime and I believe they are the best 'Les Paul Customs' available pound for pound.  I also had a Peter Green style lemon drop top from the Lacquer Taste range, and that was a lovely guitar too.  If you buy at the right price, you really can't go wrong.

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Ive got a goldtop with P90's - incredible guitar, one of the best Les Pauls Ive ever played
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    With apologies to the OP and not wishing to hijack the thread, but can anyone point me in the direction of a UK based retailer for these, or am I reliant on overseas shops and/or 'grey' imports?
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    So you're not going to gig your expensive PRS?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Had a couple, exceptionally well made and used to be an absolute bargain considering the quality of them. Bit pricey these days, but still well worth a look.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I fancied one of those JS models for quite some time without ever trying one.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited June 2015
    Loobs said:
    I am, but I'm not taking 2 expensive PRS's to play sweaty pubs. I'm using the Custom 22 as my main guitar, especially with the Freeway switch, it's super versatile. But.... I want an inexpensive backup. My 24 Floyd is my "widdle" machine. If I do a widely band. That ll be the main.
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Have an Edwards Jimmy Page LP - lovely guitar, well put together, light & resonant - first guitar I ever bought unseen - was not disappointed -would recommend them highly
    Seemed like a good idea.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Where are you all buying them from?  Nevada music seem expensive for them, or are we importing?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23010
    edited June 2015

I've had loads of Edwards guitars, 7 or 8 of them.  The first few I bought - around 2005 to 2008 I think - were great, but the more recent ones - around 2011/12 - didn't seem quite so well made and the necks were skinnier.

So based on that small sample, I'd say buy, but buy used.

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    jeztone2;671239" said:
    Loobs said:

I am, but I'm not taking 2 expensive PRS's to play sweaty pubs. I'm using the Custom 22 as my main guitar, especially with the Freeway switch, it's super versatile. But.... I want an inexpensive backup. My 24 Floyd is my "widdle" machine. If I do a widely band. That ll be the main.
    Fair enough
    I was looking at used or grey import on EBay
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23010

The John Sykes, or any of the LP Custom models, are quite tempting - they have proper ebony boards which you're unlikely to find on any other LP copies, as far as I know.

order from ishibashi.

mine cost me about £380 landed :-D
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Is that new or used? @meltedbuzzbox
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    used
    Wow thanks for that
  • I had a lovely one which I sold
    To jooky. Cost me £400 landed and was great for that money.
  • I have a JP model too and it is shit hot.

I prefer it over my old Gibsons.