Tell me about Edwards Les Paul copies

What's Hot

Comments

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1797
    Plenty of love here, quality price are hard to beat
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Jez...i have a 57 black custom with P90's...ebony board and gold hardware and all the trimmings. It is one of the nicest guitars i have had. Really well made and they feel and sound so good. A mate of mine who has a 90's Gibson LP played mine and was envious of how good it felt to play compared to his "holy grail" guitar that his had for over 20years.

I did try a Akesson PRS 245...and to be honest, it felt a bit like a toy, given the light weight, but also it was a very very dark sounding guitar. Not sure if it was the pickups, but that thing would get lost in the mix.

I wouldnt hesitate to get another Edwards
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Cheers for that @samzadgan I thought about the Akesson, because it has Jumbo frets on the wide fat neck like my 22, I ll have a play in the next few weeks of both & see how I get on.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1297
    Got one too, recently bought on here. Great quality instruments, no expensive luthier visits to make it playable like the original.
    If you look closer in the specs they're closer to the original les paul design then today's gibson :D

Anyway love mine, the very first lp style guitar that is as playable as my musicmans.

http://s5.postimg.org/bqg0woklz/DSC05483.jpg
  • KrisGee;672893" said:
    Got one too, recently bought on here. Great quality instruments, no expensive luthier visits to make it playable like the original.
    If you look closer in the specs they're closer to the original les paul design then today's gibson :D

Anyway love mine, the very first lp style guitar that is as playable as my musicmans.

http://s5.postimg.org/bqg0woklz/DSC05483.jpg

Even matches the fire place. Result!
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1797
    the 57 with p90 is on my current gas list.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2890
    meltedbuzzbox;671271" said:
    Bloody lovely Jack, your a dark horse u r :)

(Excuse the black beauty pun)
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    They're really good value. Usually very light and, I believe, not weight relieved. They usually come equipped with SD pickups too. For an inexpensive back up, I wouldn't hesistate to recommend them.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I've got an 2004ish E-LP95-SD, absolutely lovely. Weighs a bloody ton but sounds, looks and feels fantastic and holds its own again anything Gibbo that you care to put it up against. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited June 2015
    Here's a pic of my  Edwards Goldtop with a hipster filter applied to it. Fantastic guitar

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    Probably the best thing about them is their quality control, I've genuinely never seen or heard of a bad one. Which makes buying them unseen/played a bit more reassuring. I've currently got a catchily titled E-LP130 ALS RE which is basically one of their top end all Nitro finished standard LP's, got it used and you'd have to treble the price I payed to get an equivalent used Gibson. It's also fairly light which isn't that surprising as they appear to choose their wood quite carefully.
    Oh and it beats my old '71 Custom in virtually every department except the name on the top of the headstock and the embossed pickup covers, I quite liked them.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    I had a black LP Custom in about 2008 and it was a really nice guitar, i must admit the thought of dropping £2k on a Gibson LP custom or under £500 on an Edwards is a bit of a no brainer

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    This thread has given me GAS :-(
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1782
    ennspek said:
    This thread has given me GAS :-(
    You're not the only one! I've never had an LP, so these look very tempting - even though I've got guitars which I don't have time to play at the moment.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Now that Ive got everyone excited by Edwards Lp copies. Im also thinking about a used PRS CE22 as a possible backup. so I now have 3 possible backup guitar idea's.
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited June 2015
    Guitar Sound in Chichester have two new Edwards guitars, a black Les Paul with a pair of Duncans and an SG. Or at least, they were there a few days ago, I assume they still are. They're not listed on their site though, so give them a call. I've looked at both, and they're very nice. The Les Paul is particularly impressive. It's light too.

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    jeztone2;673429" said:
    Now that Ive got everyone excited by Edwards Lp copies. Im also thinking about a used PRS CE22 as a possible backup. so I now have 3 possible backup guitar idea's.
    My CE 22 has been my number 1 guitar for 15 years and been to every gig I've played in that time. scarily though I haven't played it much since I got my Epi Elitist in January.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    Pretty nice, based on the, er, two I've tried. Don't pay too much, though, as philly and juansolo said- the prices went up loads when the recession hit around 2008 and the pound massively weakened against the yen.

Also (if it matters) they're started off in china and then finished off in japan, they're not 100% MIJ. At least, that was the word on the net a while back... I think the very earliest ones were MIJ, but after that, not. Unless they changed again, since I haven't been paying too much attention recently.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10573
    tFB Trader
    samzadgan said:
    Jez...i have a 57 black custom with P90's...ebony board and gold hardware and all the trimmings. It is one of the nicest guitars i have had. Really well made and they feel and sound so good. A mate of mine who has a 90's Gibson LP played mine and was envious of how good it felt to play compared to his "holy grail" guitar that his had for over 20years.

I did try a Akesson PRS 245...and to be honest, it felt a bit like a toy, given the light weight, but also it was a very very dark sounding guitar. Not sure if it was the pickups, but that thing would get lost in the mix.

I wouldnt hesitate to get another Edwards
    Having had your guitar in the workshop fitting pickups ... can I just say ... it is more than a match for ANY modern Gibson. Weighty, but with a feeling of real quality. I covert that one geezer!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12927
    Just having a nosy on ishibashi and they have loads of Edwards guitars but not many Les Pauls.

Are the other models as well thought of?