What colour should I paint my Tele?

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
Thinking of doing a relic refin on my Tele, it looks great as it is but I fancy a project, Ive stripped the poly off ages ago and waxed it.

So I'm thinking of a vintage colour but probably not blonde as its a bit too obvious, what do you guys think would go with the maple neck?

"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    Shell pink, of course.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    Now i do like that very much
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Leave it as just waxed wood, it's a beauty as it is!!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1634
    50's custom colour....

Copper!

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    One of those pale blue shades. I like it as it is, though.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Milk paint is good if you want to keep it rustic...plus it goes onto bare wood without any priming malarkey.  They used to do little tester bags from here which were just enough for a few coats of a Telecaster.  I did one in a Teal-ish blue/green shade, and one in an almost-Seafoam-green shade.  Several coats of Danish Oil over the top, and it's tough-as and good to go.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • DarnWeight;671849" said:
    Milk paint is good if you want to keep it rustic...plus it goes onto bare wood without any priming malarkey.  They used to do little tester bags from here which were just enough for a few coats of a Telecaster.  I did one in a Teal-ish blue/green shade, and one in an almost-Seafoam-green shade.  Several coats of Danish Oil over the top, and it's tough-as and good to go.
    Wow! Definitely going to try some on a guitar sometime, not necessarily for distressed but as a simple to use finish. Bookmarked!
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Butterscotch blonde. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3964
    Two colour sunburst.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    DarnWeight;671849" said:
    Wow! Definitely going to try some on a guitar sometime, not necessarily for distressed but as a simple to use finish. Bookmarked!
    Haven't got a pic of the seafoam-ish one, but here's the Tealycaster.  Not the best photo, but you get the idea.

You can apply it very carefully with a brush, or as I did, with a sponge, and it doesn't leave too much in the way of application marks.  The grain does show through a little, but I actually quite like that.  Not tried it, but I imagine it would relic quite nicely...I'm just letting time take its toll unaided.  Here's a close up where you can see the texture of the finish...

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I hate rattle cans with a passion, and I like how easily this stuff goes on.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    edited June 2015
    Paint the words for sale on it in bright green, then buy a proper guitar :P   .....Joking of course, just burn it :D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeight;671886" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

DarnWeight;671849" said:Milk paint is good if you want to keep it rustic...plus it goes onto bare wood without any priming malarkey.  They used to do little tester bags from here which were just enough for a few coats of a Telecaster.  I did one in a Teal-ish blue/green shade, and one in an almost-Seafoam-green shade.  Several coats of Danish Oil over the top, and it's tough-as and good to go.

Haven't got a pic of the seafoam-ish one, but here's the Tealycaster.  Not the best photo, but you get the idea.

You can apply it very carefully with a brush, or as I did, with a sponge, and it doesn't leave too much in the way of application marks.  The grain does show through a little, but I actually quite like that.  Not tried it, but I imagine it would relic quite nicely...I'm just letting time take its toll unaided.  Here's a close up where you can see the texture of the finish...

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I hate rattle cans with a passion, and I like how easily this stuff goes on.
    Not kidding, looks like an alternative to wudtone.

It's water based though - so probably less protective. I assume you have top coated with something else? I reckon wudtone top coat would work great!

It's water based though - so probably less protective. I assume you have top coated with something else? I reckon wudtone top coat would work great!
    Danish oil, about 4-5 applications, I think.  Gave it a good waxing once the oil had cured off enough.  It's holding up very well.
  • DarnWeight;671901" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Danish oil, about 4-5 applications, I think.  Gave it a good waxing once the oil had cured off enough.  It's holding up very well.
    Very exciting. I'm going to do a single pickup guitar over the winter made from pine (as my strat is so damn good) so I'll likely give one of these kits a go.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7352
    looks perfect for the green furniture stain fimish that Francis Rossi did to his Tele

http://www.tonyrockettguitars.co.uk/Replica Pics/PICT6474.JPG
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Because it's not available in shell pink.

Dickie's 90-Second Pedal Demos: youtube.com/c/Dickies90SecondPedalDemos /// guitar.com reviews: guitar.com/author/richard-purvis/
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    Daphne Blue.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    edited June 2015

I'm totally going to use that milk paint on my tele kit build, but really thin like a wash. Dunno what colour yet, but at a fiver for the sample pack I can't go wrong.

EDIT: I'm going for Luckett's Green.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• RolandRoland Frets: 8848
    So you've got a perfectly good "road worn" Tele, and you want a more relic'd appearance?  Personally I like to see wood grain, so I wouldn't paint it.  Just keep playing it as it is.

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    I would normally say paint it black because that's always the right answer, but in this case…

It looks fine as it is, and if you've waxed it it may not take paint very well unless you can be *really* sure you've cleaned all the wax out. You most likely only find out for sure when you're halfway through the painting process and the paint is blobbing up in some areas.

So save yourself the bother and leave it alone :).

But if you really want to improve it, get a white pickguard and put the control plate round the right way ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom