What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28097
edited June 2015 in FX
The new thing they announced...'tis a Polytune Clip:

<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5213
    Yawn. But why is this appearing in "Forum Index"?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28097
    It's not. It was, however, because I'm an idiot.
    <space for hire>
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5213
    :) I wondered if you'd been taken in by the TC hype and thought it was so revolutionary that it needed to go in the index. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    Just what the world needs (whichever way up), another clip on tuner
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5318

Not a fan of clip-on tuners myself, but I'm sure somebody at TC is patting themselves on the back for gaining the non-accolade that is being first to market with a polyphonic clip on tuner.

That said, I do like the Polytune a lot (have both mini and "maxi" versions), and would have no problem recommending a clip-on Polytune to someone who did like clip-ons.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• prh777prh777 Frets: 145
    the thing wiith  clip on tuners is that at rehearsal (if loud) everyone dicking around around you means the  guitar body is vibrating with a number of different frequencies and they don't work well.  I've had to ditch mine and go back to a pedal tuner.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    i guess this is great for acoustic player right?

i was in a guitar shop the other day and overheard an acoustic player and the shop owner talking about tuners, and how pedal tuners were useless for acoustic players who dont use amps...i guess he has a mic infront of his guitar or something...idk...
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28097
    prh777 said:
    the thing wiith  clip on tuners is that at rehearsal (if loud) everyone dicking around around you means the  guitar body is vibrating with a number of different frequencies and they don't work well.  I've had to ditch mine and go back to a pedal tuner.
    Precisely why I don't use them. I've found it's just as bad at gigs, too.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5318
    samzadgan said:

i was in a guitar shop the other day and overheard an acoustic player and the shop owner talking about tuners, and how pedal tuners were useless for acoustic players who dont use amps...i guess he has a mic infront of his guitar or something...idk...

...or maybe just plays actually honest-to-goodness acoustically. Either way, he has a point.

In that sort of context the problems digitalscream and prh777 mention won't occur I guess, so clip-ons are a viable option. Personally, I wouldn't want to put something expensive and potentially quite fragile right out on the end of my headstock where it's bound to end up bumping in to something in small rehearsal rooms or cramped stages.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    edited June 2015
    samzadgan said:

i was in a guitar shop the other day and overheard an acoustic player and the shop owner talking about tuners, and how pedal tuners were useless for acoustic players who dont use amps...i guess he has a mic infront of his guitar or something...idk…
    Exactly. If your acoustic guitar doesn't have a pickup, then a clip-on tuner is the best solution - better than a tuner with a mic usually.

Some of the put-downs for this product are starting to sound daft - no, it's certainly not for everyone, but the world does not entirely consist of electric guitarists playing live with pedalboards…

The last gig I played with an acoustic guitar wasn't even amplified, either with a pickup or with a mic. How do you do that with a pedal tuner? :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
    TC should make a multi FX based on their tone print series. 

As a clip on tuner that has a lovely display when in single note mode.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30357
    I'll be getting one when they come out. As ICBM says, they're the most convenient tuners for acoustics and hopefully they'll be as good as the Polytune pedal.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11723
    edited June 2015
    For acoustics, clip on tuners are brilliant.  With a mic based one, you have to have it almost silent.  I used to have to take the guitar out into another room a lot of the time.  Clip on ones will easily cope with a reasonable level of background noise.

Edit:  If you are using a Snark, make sure you have it set correctly.  It has a Mic setting as well as a Vib setting.  If you accidentally have it set to Mic it will pick up all the noise.  When you change it to Vib you realise how much better the clip on is.
    edited June 2015
    I don't rate the Snarks as highly now I've had 3 longer term.  Don't get me wrong, they are good value for money but they go through batteries faster than the Korg AW2G, they're less flexible position wise, and the display isn't as nice.  I'd just pay the extra and get the Korg personally.  The TC looks to be £35, so I wouldn't rush out and buy one to replace my Korg but if I did lose the Korg I'd probably go for the TC as that display is really nice.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    PitchLab Pro for Android is all I need for my modest circumstances. It's actually fantastic.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17493
    i tend to use clip on tuners whentest fitting new guitar builds - usually before finishign and before any pickups have been attached
    Yes at home if I'm honest I use the TC phone tuner more than I bother to use a clip on.  When doing open mic stuff a clip on is still a better choice, but for home playing I don't know if I'd buy one at all now.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11976
    tFB Trader
    I think it's great (I have the large and small Polytunes already) and look forward to 
    1) getting one for myself
    2) seeing if we can stock them here

The number of times we reach for a clip on tuner here in our workshops is higher than you'd think .
    Yes - we do use strobe rack tuners etc to set intonation etc but we also have to quickly tune up guitars or retune for a demo  and the clip on tuner is a god-send for that.

Also I'm often sat on the sofa with a guitar watching TV (kind of) and having a clip on tuner handy is useful.
    Currently use a cheap Rotosound or a Snark but these look great.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    The only issue I have with Snarks is that they break quite easily on the joint with the main unit and the arm and so I was looking for a more robust clip on.  3 and a half times the price of a Snark though...
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1819
    I love my clip on tuner, so the idea of a polyphonic one with a quality screen is very appealing. 
    But £35 isn't very appealing, and I wonder what battery life will be like as that screen will be quite power hungry.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.