So...it's a TC Clip

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    18 hour battery life. If left on all the time.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30357
    £35 does seem dear compared to other clip on tuners but it's not that much compared to a good tuner, if it is as good as they claim.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    Sassafras said:
    £35 does seem dear compared to other clip on tuners but it's not that much compared to a good tuner, if it is as good as they claim.
    Exactly. It's also the same price as five sets of decent acoustic strings. (At shop prices anyway.)

I'm probably going to buy one, if it works as well as I expect it will. The £3 for the Polytune app for my phone was probably the best £3 I've ever spent - it saved me more than that in hourly-rate time the very first time I ever used it when setting up a guitar with a floating trem. Its only real flaw is that it doesn't work that well when there's a lot of ambient noise, so a clip-on version will solve that.

£35 is also about what a second-hand Boss TU-2 sells for...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Did he say this is the thing they've spent the most time developing out of all theyve worked on?
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    I'll be getting one. Have been considering a clip on tuner recently and I like the Polytunes so this is well timed for me
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3500
    the deluxe snark one is about 20 quid, so not that much more
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    It will still suck on a low B on a bass.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
    It will still suck on a low B on a bass.
    Playing the harmonic fixes this, though stops you tuning to attack. When you tune to harmonics you usually end up with something along the lines of tuning to the decay, which doesn't work for heavy pickers on fast songs (as the string goes sharp and doesn't return before the next note).
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I'Ll be getting one for my travel Taylor.i have a g7th Nashville that I keep on the headstock and this looks perfect to accompany it. 
    £35 is steep but worth it imo. I hate my snark. The rubber pads fell off and it falls off my headstock all the time. Plus im pretty sure they arent nitro friendly. This may well be. 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Hertz32 said:
    I'Ll be getting one for my travel Taylor.i have a g7th Nashville that I keep on the headstock and this looks perfect to accompany it. 
    £35 is steep but worth it imo. I hate my snark. The rubber pads fell off and it falls off my headstock all the time. Plus im pretty sure they arent nitro friendly. This may well be. 
    I got a Snark a few months ago, and in the little instruction sheet it does warn about leaving it on Nitro finisged guitars,
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    I got a Snark a few months ago, and in the little instruction sheet it does warn about leaving it on Nitro finisged guitars,
    I would be wary about leaving anything made of plastic, rubber, cloth with dye in it, or just about anything else in contact with nitro for an extended time period, no matter what the maker might say about 'nitro safe'. Or even anything that just applies pressure. Nitro is soft, and absorbs almost any dye or plasticiser.

My Gibson Dove has a mark across the logo where the former owner used to leave his Kyser capo, and they're supposed to be nitro-safe. Luckily I put mine there too - and it actually almost looks like a bit of figuring in the pearl, until you look closely and see the pressure mark - so I don't care.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8629
    ICBM said:
    I would be wary about leaving anything made of plastic, rubber, cloth with dye in it, or just about anything else in contact with nitro for an extended time period, no matter what the maker might say about 'nitro safe'. Or even anything that just applies pressure. Nitro is soft, and absorbs almost any dye or plasticiser.

Nah, why's everyone so precious? - it's the new cigarette burn - ROCK 'N' ROLL!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    I watched the tc video. It is both amazing ( all that cleverness in such a small space) and also meh it's a headstock tuner.
    I guess if it's a market they could dominate its surely massive compared to selling posh phasers.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited June 2015
    If its just as accurate as they say, that is crazy... The Polytune 2 pedal is +/- 0.5cents. This claims to be +/- 0.02 cents.
    Thats what, 25 times more accurate from a bloody headstock tuner. Seems pretty decent value to me
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28744
    I don't care what you lot think. It even flips so the screen always reads the right way round depending on whether it's on the front or back of the headstock. I'll be buying one.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13370
    If the accuracy is correct then that's definitely a big selling point. I'd consider one just for doing setups and nothing else.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    Does the accuracy really matter that much? I mean, surely fretting finger pressure/ the difference between equal and just temperament is enough to swamp the difference between being half a cent out or two hundredths of a cent? Or am I being dumb? That does happen...

I'd be more excited by a clip on proco rat.
  • Sounds accurate enough to do intonation...not bad for 35 quid.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2015
    Cirrus said:
    Does the accuracy really matter that much? I mean, surely fretting finger pressure/ the difference between equal and just temperament is enough to swamp the difference between being half a cent out or two hundredths of a cent? Or am I being dumb? That does happen.

That is my view also.  I think you should set the guitar up to be intonated as well as possible, but that doesn't mean that when the open strings are in tune for performance it will consistently sound in tune throughout.

Sometimes when recording I will tune per chord and punch in/out (that is a real test of even dynamics and timing or else you can't do it seamlessly).  Not always, but sometimes it sounds better.  That mostly comes down to technique rather than tuner quality IME.  I just use the built in one in Logic X and have no idea how accurate it is, but it sounds good to me.