PRS - Pain in the neck

What's Hot
mesatelemesatele Frets: 27

Is this weird or has anyone else had the same kind of problem?

I've played telecasters for years and can happily sit for hours playing one on my knee.

I bought a PRS last year and can't sit playing it for more than 15 minutes without getting a pain in the neck.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8750
    It works the other way too.  A PRS, a Tele, a 335, and a Les Paul all sit in different positions because of the body shape, neck angle, and weight distribution.  I find a 335 difficult because, with a rear strap button, it sits so far away from my body
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • mesatelemesatele Frets: 27

You've reminded me, I had forgotten, I had a similar problem with a Yamaha SA2200 (ES335 shape).

The PRS thing seems weird because the offset doesn't appear to be that different.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72550
    Take it as God's way of telling you that you're too cool to play a PRS.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    ICBM;673920" said:
    God has an artist pack
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    Different playing position. Try it on your other leg? Or practice stood up? Or buy another guitar that fits you better. PRS make nice guitars but they aren't the right choice for everyone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

ICBM said:
    Yeah, you may be right, but why the SA2200? Where does that sit on the Cool Wall?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think the answer is to find a band again and play standing up.
    Different playing position. Try it on your other leg? Or practice stood up? Or buy another guitar that fits you better. PRS make nice guitars but they aren't the right choice for everyone.

I've tried playing in that classical position but the damn guitar is so shiny and slippery I struggle to keep it between my legs :\">

Standing up is the answer, but I'm a lazy b

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    get a Jazzmaster, they were shaped to be played sitting (and standing)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I have to admit I'm usually walking around the house with mine on a strap. So not encountered this problem. How tall are you though?
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1797
    It might just be your soul leaving your body. Lol
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Yup, I get the same with Les Pauls, well neck and bad back, I'm so used to Strats and I spend most of my playing time sitting down that it rules them out for me.

PRS are better but I agree they are slippery fuckers and the body is still rather small.

For sitting, can't beat a Strat or Tele.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    I used to think you couldn't beat a Strat or Tele for sitting.

Then I tried a chair.

:-)

Actually - the shape of a Jazzmaster makes them even better than a Strat for sitting playing
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had several SGs & inevitably end up selling them for the simple reason that they're not comfortable to me.

The whole guitar feels like it's 3"to the left of where it should be.

Thing is, I love the look & sound of them so buy another... After a couple of weeks my left shoulder starts to ache & it's back to the LP.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72550
    I have the same problem with SGs, and 335s - the neck is too far to the left.

I found 22-fret PRSs fine, but couldn't get on with 24-fret ones at all - even that difference of about 3/4" is enough to mess up the position of the neck.

The relationship between the neck, the front strap button and the waist are all critical to comfort, for me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11465
    I think neck angle is a big part of it.  With Fenders I think the neck sticks pretty much straight out from the body.  PRS is angled back slightly, and Gibson is angled more.  That means that your hand is further back.  It's not a very natural position because it forces your shoulder back.

As @ICBM said, a 24 fret PRS may be worse than a 22 fret one as you are having to put your hand further to the left as well.  My first PRS was a 24 fret guitar and I had some wrist problems.  I think that was partly down to the wide thin neck profile, but it was probably partly down to the playing position.  I didn't get the same problems with a 22 fret PRS.  None of mt 22 fret PRS had a wide thin profile so how much was down to playing position and how much down to neck profile I can't be certain.

Neck, shoulder, wrist are all interlinked.  When I have had wrist problems in the past, I've got my wife to massage my shoulder and the wrist feels a lot better.
    Y'all need to man up and fix your technique
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I suppose the smaller body shape is making you hunch over the guitar. Straighten yourself up!
    jeztone2 said:
    I have to admit I'm usually walking around the house with mine on a strap. So not encountered this problem. How tall are you though?

About 5' 10"

I should play standing up and if I get in a band again it would make it much easier.