PRS - Pain in the neck

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mesatelemesatele Frets: 27
    ICBM said:
    I have the same problem with SGs, and 335s - the neck is too far to the left.

I found 22-fret PRSs fine, but couldn't get on with 24-fret ones at all - even that difference of about 3/4" is enough to mess up the position of the neck.

The relationship between the neck, the front strap button and the waist are all critical to comfort, for me.
    My PRS is a Custom 22, as you say I'd imagine the 24 might be even worse for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72558
    Is it a stopbar bridge one? I don't like those either, the neck angle ends up too steep. I like the trem ones though.

Yes, I am very fussy ;). And I don't play PRSs at all now anyway, although that's not the reason. (I moved on from that type of sound, basically.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12932
    You should have your strap and sitting position adjusted such that the guitar is in the same position regardless of whether you are sitting or standing.

Practicing sat down with the guitar in a totally different position to your gigging stance is counter productive in my experience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2253
    Buy a Les Paul. :)
    ICBM said:
    Is it a stopbar bridge one? I don't like those either, the neck angle ends up too steep. I like the trem ones though.

Yes, I am very fussy ;). And I don't play PRSs at all now anyway, although that's not the reason. (I moved on from that type of sound, basically.)
    Its a trem bridge. I bought the guitar to try a different type of sound from what I'm used to. I've since put humbuckers in a tele but can't come to terms with having spent a lot of money on a guitar I never use.  :(
    mesatele said:

Its a trem bridge. I bought the guitar to try a different type of sound from what I'm used to. I've since put humbuckers in a tele but can't come to terms with having spent a lot of money on a guitar I never use.  :(
    That's why I'm selling mine too. I still like it for what it is, but I doubt I'll ever use it again so I should just move on.

I've pretty much gone full circle - even though the PRS was right for me for about ten years I've gone back to a Fender-style guitar and a Rickenbacker.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

You should have your strap and sitting position adjusted such that the guitar is in the same position regardless of whether you are sitting or standing.

Practicing sat down with the guitar in a totally different position to your gigging stance is counter productive in my experience.
    I know you're absolutely right but I'm not gigging at the moment and can't seemed to be assed to stand up to practice. I'll experiment a bit more with a strap sitting down but that'll be wearing it high. Worth a try though.
    slacker said:
    Buy a Les Paul. :)
    I tried that but probably had a similar problem. I ended up trading that for an acoustic.
    I should sell the PRS really but 2nd hand prices are shocking and even if I was to get £1,500 for it, how would I explain to my wife I got £1,500 when it only cost me £400 when I bought it new? ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    lol

Actually my Rick is worth a *lot* more now than I paid for it, genuinely. I tidied up some of the cosmetic damage, then Rickenbacker put their prices up...