Well, this is definitely something I've never seen before. Shred neck.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    georgenadaintl;674647" said:
    Barney said:

i think its handy for practicing scales

But practicing scales is practicing how they sound :) The mechanical part of picking them is probably the least interesting aspect of practicing scales.
    its good practising visualisation of the fret board so you can see where your going ..so if there was a key change you would need to be able to visualise the notes as well as knowing how they sound...

say iff you went from C to Ab7...you would need to be able to visualise where the notes are before you play them ...thats where i think practicing without the sound as well is a good thing to have ...it seems to force you to see the notes rather than just play the shape..

and to be honest iff the picking is off so will the timing be in a lot of cases..so probably is boring but essential...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5060
    edited June 2015
    'Practising scales'?? What is this strange concept of which ye speaketh?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12932
    Cmon, I think we should be more impressed with the ecological sustainability of products like this. Gibson have to do *something* with those broken headstocks...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5016
    edited June 2015
    Barney said:
    i have one of them i use when i havnt a guitar handy ..i find it useful for picking practice as it has a hollowed out 1st fret...i think its handy for practicing scales as well cos you have to visualise the scale rather rely on the pitch of the notes cos all you get from it is a ping....cant pllay any tune on it

i think if its used as a portable practice aid like what its aimed at its not a bad idea...
    As soon as I saw this I thought you had one Paul, remembered it from the "other" FB or somewhere.
    Barney said:
    i think its handy for practicing scales
    But practicing scales is practicing how they sound :) The mechanical part of picking them is probably the least interesting aspect of practicing scales.
    The mechanical aspect is, I'll agree, monotonous and not very interesting. However, good muscle memory from mindless repetition (e.g. in front of the telly or in the works canteen) is great for keeping up your technical ability without the need to inflict noise on all around us. I have my own space where I can spend time playing whenever I like, but if you have precious little time to practise or if noise is an issue tools like these can be very valuable for building up that muscle memory. It's a bit like the atonal parts of Steve Vai's 10 hour workout. Musically useless, but technique-wise, brilliant.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Barney said:
    MattFGBI;674412" said:
    Just practice on a guitar. 
    obviously guitar is a lot better to practice on but you cant carry a guitar everywhere you go ....these will fit in a carrier bag...
    a severed head fits in a carrier bag also - in either case be prepared for people to think you're a weirdo if you start touching it in public.

I have a Spirit for taking places, it's amazing how few opportunities present themselves to use stuff in public places. So much so it only gets used on some holidays.. now.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    frankus;675444" said:
    Barney said:

MattFGBI;674412" said:Just practice on a guitar. 

obviously guitar is a lot better to practice on but you cant carry a guitar everywhere you go ....these will fit in a carrier bag...

a severed head fits in a carrier bag also - in either case be prepared for people to think you're a weirdo if you start touching it in public.

haha...i was thinking more in a works van...car ...or private office ...hotel room ect..not a train station..lol