Scarf joint?

What's Hot
usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
edited June 2015 in Guitar
When did they start using these on guitar necks? Any ideas?

Edit: Reason I ask, is I've seen a guitar, advertised as 70's, and I always thought Scarfs came in later...
 so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Lots of 70's guitars have scarf joints.  I know that's what's under the paintjob of a Satellite LP copy, for example.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited June 2015
    Right. Fair enough - I always thought they were more recent. Guitar still looks like a JHS/Vintage, job, though.. 

Oh, and thanks!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

What guitar, if you don't mind me asking...?  :)

I'm certain you're right, you know - I'm sure that's a 'Vintage' brand guitar too.  I've seen loads of 70's DC's, and they generally have the open book headstock.  I've only ever seen that 'wave' design on JHS Vintage guitars.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Pretty sure too that it's Vintage brand.
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    Headstock shape is the giveaway, someone must've removed the logo.  A friend of mine has one of the Vintage Jr style guitars, they're alright.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    70's my arse... it's brand new!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah - nothing against the 'Vintage' brand, here.. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33827
    Martin have been doing it for yonks. With a stacked heel, you save a lot of wood.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72552
    edited June 2015
    Rox said:
    I'm certain you're right, you know - I'm sure that's a 'Vintage' brand guitar too.  I've seen loads of 70's DC's, and they generally have the open book headstock.  I've only ever seen that 'wave' design on JHS Vintage guitars.
    Maynehead said:
    70's my arse... it's brand new!
    The wavy headstock edge is reminiscent of 70s/early-80s Hondo IIs as well, but there's no way it's that old. Late 90s at the absolute oldest, probably newer. Those machineheads are no older than that, and there's no evidence of others ever being fitted.

"70s" has become the new "60s" - meaning either "I don't know how old it is but that sounds old" or "I'm trying to make it sound cool".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    To be fair though I don't think it's a Vintage branded one. The waves on the headstock are too shallow and the top horn is a different shape to the vintage. Plus the vintage has the strap button on the horn not at the base of the neck.

The body seems to be one piece too so it may actually be good quality whatever it is.
    edited June 2015
    Maynehead said:
    To be fair though I don't think it's a Vintage branded one. The waves on the headstock are too shallow and the top horn is a different shape to the vintage. Plus the vintage has the strap button on the horn not at the base of the neck.

The body seems to be one piece too so it may actually be good quality whatever it is.
    I've just compared it to the headstock on a Vintage SG - and they're an identical shape, with exactly the same shape truss rod cover and same chrome tulip tuners - in exactly the same position, same distance from the top of the headstock.

It might be an earlier version with a different body shape than the newer ones - but I'm certain it's a Vintage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11620
    tFB Trader
    It's a vintage 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72552
    Maynehead said:

It's too wide-grained to be mahogany, but it does at least look like one piece.

At £125 at the moment, including a Bareknuckle and a reasonable hard case, it's not overpriced either. Just not 1970s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    I suspect the body is multi-piece with a veneer front and back, based on what Epi SGs and Les Pauls are (even the more expensive ones). The photos aren't good enough to see seams on the sides.
    Thanks, guys. I'm in the market for a LP Jr dc a like, and this came up in a search, so I'm keeping an eye on it.
    First thoughts were, that's never 70's, hang on, it looks like a vintage/jhs..
    Thanks for your input - have a wisdom!
    If it stays the right side of silly for what it actually is, rather than what the seller says it is, I might have a punt..

It's a vintage 

Look at the top horn, it's not the same.
    This just in from the seller:

I've had this for over 20 years myself.... Got it from a friend in 1994. He'd had it for a long time too. If you look at the second last picture... the one looking down the guitar from the headstock end, you'll just be able to make out the butterfly motif that's been painted over (before I owned it). Best research I've been able to come up with is that it was probably made by Matsumoku in Japan who were known to distribute good quality copies in the 60's and 70's.. Check this for reference... http://www.music-trade.co.jp/Aria_80020705carte.html

Hope this helps

@Sarge might be able to shed light on any possible Matsumoku connection..?

edited June 2015
    Well, the one in the link is different again.. Bears more resemblance to a JHS, than a Mats.. 

The ebay one, and the stock vintage pic are taken at different angles, but the top horn does 'look' a bit different. Everything else is screaming JHS, to me, though..