Gibson 2015 prices

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
I thought Giboid were due a hefty increase during 2015...did it happen.....what is the RRP for a historic 2015 '58 LP then? 
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    edited June 2015
    True Historic you mean?

5 grand for a 57'

6 and a half grand for a 59'

8 grand for and aged 59'
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 849
    Think the new ones are going to be 5 grand. It's £3800 for the new custom shop model which is basically a historic with short tennon.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    edited June 2015
    Guitar Village says...
    SteveGV said:
    Just getting back to you on prices now I've checked again -

57's and 58's will be £4999 (£6799 for aged), 57 Custom will be £5499
    59's and 60's will be £6259 (£7999 for aged)

CS7 and CS8 will be £3699
    CS9 and CS0 will be £4499

68 and 74 Custom £4799

Again these could all change, but that's going from the first list that's been issued.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    All completely reasonable prices
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • All completely reasonable prices
    ... for a car, yes!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    I don't like to comment on other brand's prices but as a player and customer of Gibson I am struggling to understand the prices. Are these guitars that good? One of the best guitars I ever owned was an early 80's LP Custom in Black - probably worth around £2k - are these that much better as instruments or is the value in the painstaking attention to detail and are these being sold as a cheap alternative to the actual originals? 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    They don't have to be good, just desirable to people with that sort of money.

Of course a perfectly playable, professional grade instrument can be had from Gibson and other makers for a lot less. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1473
    edited June 2015
    I don't know if they're worth that much more, but I have to be honest - I've had maybe around 10-15 Les Pauls over the last 25 years or so, and my R8 is notably better in pretty much every way than any of them. It's not all hype, they are better guitars - at that point, you have to decide how much extra is worth paying for the better instrument. I think the premium is now too high, but I paid £1800 for my R8 used, and it's a fantastic instrument.
  • I paid £1800 for my R8 used, and it's a fantastic instrument.
    That's what I paid for my R7 recently and that's a fantastic instrument. A decent Les Paul was what I wanted and that's what I got. I doubt I'd consider the True Historics given the price.

I believe there are a couple of genuine 74' Les Paul Custom in wine red for £3,000 (+ import fees) on e bay at the moment.  Crazy considering the re-issue is £4,799.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Freeshipping-1974-Gibson-74-Les-Paul-Custom-Red-USED-w-Hardcase-/181737593075?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a506798f3
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Can't believe how much more the aged ones cost. That's bonkers mental.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72540
    MattFGBI said:
    One of the best guitars I ever owned was an early 80's LP Custom in Black - probably worth around £2k - are these that much better as instruments or is the value in the painstaking attention to detail and are these being sold as a cheap alternative to the actual originals? 
    I have a strong suspicion such guitars are going to go up in value rather rapidly. (I think an '80 Custom is worth a fair bit more than £2K already actually.) As well as more recent modern ones - particularly where the 'proper' spec is no longer available, eg Customs where the 'standard' model doesn't have an ebony fingerboard any more, and the new Historics are so much more expensive.

It's also interesting that the old argument about current Custom Shop pricing only reflecting what the vintage originals cost in real terms back then no longer applies - they're now far more expensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Brand new 2014 Gibson Custom Les Paul 1958 VOS Reissue in various colours for £2450 from Ginos Guitars in Italy. In other words, half of what Gibson would prefer you to pay :)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11464
    I already have a really nice R8, but if I were in the market for that style of guitar now I'd be looking seriously at a PRS SC245.  The prices you can pick them up for used they are an absolute bargain.

To be honest, if a 59 reissue is 6 grand then I'm looking at PRS private stock.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    Guitar Village says...
    SteveGV said:
    Just getting back to you on prices now I've checked again -

57's and 58's will be £4999 (£6799 for aged), 57 Custom will be £5499
    59's and 60's will be £6259 (£7999 for aged)

CS7 and CS8 will be £3699
    CS9 and CS0 will be £4499

68 and 74 Custom £4799

Again these could all change, but that's going from the first list that's been issued.

is that the old custom black beauty we are talking about here? C7s and so on.......
    tae be or not tae be
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Those prices are way too expensive for me.  You could get a really nice custom built guitar and a really good amp and some pedals for the price of some of those I reckon.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    @ICBM You might (quite reasonably) expect that. I am looking for a used R8 and the bin eBay prices have shot up..... But absolutely none are actually selling
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3092
    Mental. This all means the used ones are on the up too. I was thinking about a used R7 or R8 and I've probably missed the boat now. There's a slim hope they'll not sell any.... pfft. 

Feline ftw.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31645
    True Historics are where all the price hype is at the moment, but Fender sell some Telecasters for over 3 grand and that's just a plank.

Gibson also make the cheapest US-made nitro finished guitars you can buy, but everyone just blathers on about the flagship stuff.

It's a fashion thing - as it stands at the moment Fender can do no wrong and Gibson can do no right, but they both make decent cheap guitars and they both make piss-takingly expensive fantasy models.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    Chalky said:
    Brand new 2014 Gibson Custom Les Paul 1958 VOS Reissue in various colours for £2450 from Ginos Guitars in Italy. In other words, half of what Gibson would prefer you to pay :)

regarding the LPs from Italy, Ginos...great store BTW ^......am I right in thinking what you see is what you pay? no tax extras when shipped....any other stores like this in Europe with good prices and a LARGE selection of '58s?

tae be or not tae be