Which Pickups for PRS Custom 24??

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    What is this thread ALL ABOUT!? The 57/08s in my Orange PRS are the BEST. I got the PRS because I wouldn't HAVE to change pickups! It's a beast, ready to go with no changes!
    The OP doesn't have 57/08s....!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Well he should get some lol 
    I'd be very interested to hear sounds clips of PRS with these pup swaps
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11930
    edited July 2015
    Well he should get some lol 
    I'd be very interested to hear sounds clips of PRS with these pup swaps
    You can't get the 57/08 unless someone takes them out of their guitar and sell it used.

Or send the guitar to PTC and get them installed. 
    Yep I know - that's how good they are lol
    Is it the same with 59/09s? I think they use the same machine but overwind them by 10%?
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    57/08s are nice, but outside of the PRS world, they're just another very good Paf style pickup.

To the OP - SSVs are superb and the Aldrich set may also be worth considering if high output, but versatile with splitting and volume knob response is important.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11930
    Yep I know - that's how good they are lol
    Is it the same with 59/09s? I think they use the same machine but overwind them by 10%?
    You can buy the 59/09 on the PRS parts site funnily enough, at one point, you could even get the 53/10.
  • ASL havoc.

Apologies for ending this interesting thread with the best high output splittable pickups available. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    thomasross20;694672" said:
    What is this thread ALL ABOUT!? The 57/08s in my Orange PRS are the BEST. I got the PRS because I wouldn't HAVE to change pickups! It's a beast, ready to go with no changes!
    Ive had my main prs for a long time and then they shipped with dragon iis which were fine when I played much heavier music than I do now. I always thought I wouldn't mod this prs as well but tastes change dude and in 20 years you might see something shiny which makes you mod your custom 24.
    Hope not lol - trying to save money for once!!
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    thomasross20;694672" said:
    Aww mate you wouldn't be saying that if you had the HFS. It's the Nu-Metal pickup. It's meant for kids with spiked hair and baggy jeans playing in drop-H into their Mesa Triple Rec's
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    johnonguitar;694857" said:
    [quote="thomasross20;694672"]What is this thread ALL ABOUT!? The 57/08s in my Orange PRS are the BEST. I got the PRS because I wouldn't HAVE to change pickups! It's a beast, ready to go with no changes!
    Aww mate you wouldn't be saying that if you had the HFS. It's the Nu-Metal pickup. It's meant for kids with spiked hair and baggy jeans playing in drop-H into their Mesa Triple Rec's[/quote]

Hah, I play in drop B (for vocal range, only clean no screaming etc) and used to have a dual rec roadster. I removed the HFS/VB set to fit EMGs. Currently got the Hetfield set in that guitar. If I was playing in standard tuning I'd go for something lower output and warmer. The HFS always had this annoying high frequency I couldn't dial out at the amp, but I thought it suited lower tunings better than standard. The vintage bass pickup was ok though it didn't really match the HFS tonally IMO. The guitars themselves are fantastic.
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    guitarfishbay;694914" said:
    [quote="johnonguitar;694857"][quote="thomasross20;694672"]What is this thread ALL ABOUT!? The 57/08s in my Orange PRS are the BEST. I got the PRS because I wouldn't HAVE to change pickups! It's a beast, ready to go with no changes!
    Aww mate you wouldn't be saying that if you had the HFS. It's the Nu-Metal pickup. It's meant for kids with spiked hair and baggy jeans playing in drop-H into their Mesa Triple Rec's[/quote]

Hah, I play in drop B (for vocal range, only clean no screaming etc) and used to have a dual rec roadster. I removed the HFS/VB set to fit EMGs. Currently got the Hetfield set in that guitar. If I was playing in standard tuning I'd go for something lower output and warmer. The HFS always had this annoying high frequency I couldn't dial out at the amp, but I thought it suited lower tunings better than standard. The vintage bass pickup was ok though it didn't really match the HFS tonally IMO. The guitars themselves are fantastic.
    [/quote]

Spot on.

And yeah. I think the vintage bass is overly dark to compensate for the HFS when split or something
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    That was my issue too. The HFS wasn't my thing really and the VB was too dark. To be fair, I kind of knew this when i bought the guitar, but it played (and looked) so much nicer than the others I tried in the shop.