Which Pickups for PRS Custom 24??

What's Hot
johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
I can't stand the HFS:Vintage Bass. They're crap.

Anyway, I want it to be extremely versatile, high output and sound good split. However I still want it to be vintage voiced and to clean up to a PAF with the volume knob.

Any ideas??

I was thinking about Bareknuckle Alnico Nailbombs, Suhr SSV's or something similar
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Oil city Scrapyard Dog + will do that really well or Mojo Modern Hot PAF
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2754
    I tried a lot of pickups in my cu24 and tremonti.    Nearly the prs models and several duncans.   In the end I always come back to Suhr - currently I have aldrich fitted in two and ssh in another.  I really like the way they are all voiced to cut through with being harsh.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7965
    If you don't need tight bottom Duncan Custom Custom and 59 should do that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    John_P;693315" said:
    I tried a lot of pickups in my cu24 and tremonti.    Nearly the prs models and several duncans.   In the end I always come back to Suhr - currently I have aldrich fitted in two and ssh in another.  I really like the way they are all voiced to cut through with being harsh.
    Do you any experience with the Nailbombs? I heard they were close to the SSV and would rather buy British if possible
    guitarfishbay;693332" said:
    If you don't need tight bottom Duncan Custom Custom and 59 should do that.
    Do those come in 4 conductor though? Is the custom custom fairly hot? I've had a 59 before and thought it was great
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7965
    edited July 2015
    Yeah you can get them in 4 conductor. The CC is fairly hot, more power than a 59 bridge but not as powerful as a JB/Distortion. The CC is fat and warm, slightly loose bass but still sounds good IMO. I think CC/59 is the set @ICBM had in his Standard 22.
    guitarfishbay;693441" said:
    Yeah you can get them in 4 conductor. The CC is fairly hot, more power than a 59 bridge but not as powerful as a JB/Distortion. The CC is fat and warm, slightly loose bass but still sounds good IMO. I think CC/59 is the set @ICBM had in his Standard 22.
    Ah yeah I'm pretty sure he told me that in another thread. I might have to pop into strung out and demo his guitar :')
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3085
    Bareknuckle Cold Sweat?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31050
    This pick up

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• gordijigordiji Frets: 792
    I put BKP Abraxas in my CU 22 replacing the Dragon 2's which where ok. Very pleased with the Abraxas, neck very vintage, woody, soft attack, beautiful cleans. Bridge hot enough at 14k , but not harsh at all. So a good set for classic rock sounds but also great cleans. All the splits at least as good as stock. I nearly drove my self mad choosing between about 4 sets but pretty much took the others advice on the bkp forum, no regrets, they're stayin. 
    Oh and you need to flip one of the magnets.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    gordiji;693538" said:
    Oh and you need to flip one of the magnets.
    That's only if you use the 5 way rotary isn't it? When I swopped out my dragon iis I also changed the 5 way to McCarty wiring and didn't need to flip one of the magnets.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    BK recommended the Abraxas set to me for my CU22. I actually went with Mules though. Flipped magnet is required if you want to wire as per PRS if you have the rotary or the blade switch and want to keep the hum cancelling in the mixed positions.
    edited July 2015
    I just gave BKP my wish list and they recommended me the Crawlers. I think they are pretty close to the 59/CustomCustom mix mentioned above.

Hmmm do I save the cash and get the Duncan's or do I beat my Barknuckle meat and jizz some green on the Crawlers?
    If you don't like the crawlers bkp will swap them for another set. The neck will be lovely A4 very paf like the mule or abraxas. The bridge hotter & more compressed than the abraxas, these were on my wish list too. Get an idea on youtube.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    edited July 2015
    I was going to say Crawlers, or the Abraxis if you dont want quite as hot.  I have mules in my CU22 at present and there great - but not high output.  The Axraxis are similar but hotter - and the Crawlers hotter sill with similar base tonality.

As I now have HB sized P90s in my other PRS (a CE - PUs curtacy of Cats Whiskers) - Im actually thinking of upping the output of the CU.  I have a Suhr Modern with SSV+ in and there great, so will probably go with Abraxis rather than the Crawlers (but theyu do keep calling to me every time I think about it).

paulmapp8306;694341" said:
    I was going to say Crawlers, or the Abraxis if you dont want quite as hot.  I have mules in my CE22 at present and there great - but not high output.  The Axraxis are similar but hotter - and the Crawlers hotter sill with similar base tonality.

As I now have HB sized P90s in my other PRS (a CE - PUs curtacy of Cats Whiskers) - Im actually thinking of upping the output of the CU.  I have a Suhr Modern with SSV+ in and there great, so will probably go with Abraxis rather than the Crawlers (but theyu do keep calling to me every time I think about it).

What wood your modern made from?

Which pickup do you think compares to the Suhr the most?
  • BowynMadleyBowynMadley Frets: 154
    I've got an oil city scrapyard dog+ but with an alnico 4 magnet in the neck of my les Paul. Cleans up nicely but still packs a punch
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    Different woods.  The Suhr is Basswood with a bolt on maple neck.  It has stronger but less muddy bass, a clearer top end and is more open in the mid compared to the PRS.  That translates to the PRS being better for traditional Rock stuff with the Suhr better for higher gain tones. and means its difficult to compare the PUs really.

Of the PUs ive tried - I would actually say the Mules are closer in tonality to the Suhr PUs than either the HFS or Dragon 2s (though they are the lowest output, which is why the Abraxis or Crawlers would be better for your spec).  They sit somewhere between the Suhrs and the Dragons, with the HFS being fatter.  

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    What is this thread ALL ABOUT!? The 57/08s in my Orange PRS are the BEST. I got the PRS because I wouldn't HAVE to change pickups! It's a beast, ready to go with no changes!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom