1960/61 les Paul value

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1388
A friend of mine mentioned he is thinking of selling his guitar as it's not used much anymore. It's a 1960 or 1961 les Paul deluxe. It's in cherry. As he is not really up to date with guitars and value etc, I am helping him think about it.

I have not seen the instrument, not that I am an expert in Lester's, but have every reason to believe it's genuine and in decent condition. So my first move will be to get the serial number and call Gibson.

He believes it may have been owned by a famous (local) musician but can't prove it. Would this add any value?

What would be the preferred route of sale- FB classifieds, dealer, auction or other?

Finally, what might might the value be? I think the market is weak at the moment but does this apply to these kinds of instruments?

Any advice welcome and thanks in advance
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    I think he might have the date wrong. The LP Deluxe wasn't introduced until 1969.

Any provenance must have documentation, not just hearsay to affect the value.

Condition matters a lot of course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3678
    Agree about the DeLuxe bit, they were only called that when they were first reissued.

Regarding '60 -'61, a '60 would be a single cut and a '61 an SG IIRC.
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    GM is 100%

If he believes it's been owned by someone famous, there may be ways of authenticating it through photos (especially if it has an distinguishing marks or grain patterns) well worth doing if it was, say, Keef. Not so much if it's the depping guitarist of Take That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1388
    Sadly, the celeb is not of Keef's calibre but will ask him for the evidence. With regard to the model, I saw it a few years ago but can't recall the pup configuration other than it definately wasn't 2 PAF's. It is definately a les Paul single cut body style. It may be that it's is a late 60's model deluxe or (i am guessing) it might be an early 60's with P90's? I will chase him up and report back.
    The single cut Les Paul wasn't made in the early sixties. Unless a 52-60 original, it has to be a 67 reissue at the earliest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    The single cut Les Paul wasn't made in the early sixties. Unless a 52-60 original, it has to be a 67 reissue at the earliest.
    Really? So the last ones made were 1960 and they moved to the SG shape? Everyday is a school day. Thanks
    Yes. And as the 67-68 guitars were gold tops I think this one must be a Deluxe from 1969-on.
    Ok. Thanks. I'll get the serial number off him next week so that will narrow it down. Helps to have facts first, ;)
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4043
    If you get some photos, I'd get to the mylespaul forum. There are some proper knobheads on there, but also a lot of helpful, knowledgeable members.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2015
    Serial numbers in the 1960s and 70s were often repeated, used randomly and can therefore be misleading. The best thing to date it is some decent pictures.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 859
    Pretty sure the earliest reissues were 68 not 67, they're getting expensive now the 68's.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5636
    edited July 2015
    Yep, the Les Paul was first reissued in 68, not 67. If it's a cherry red (rather than wine red) Deluxe, it would likely be a 71 or 72 model. In good condition it would be worth in the region of £2k. There's a cherry red Deluxe on eBay here:

• stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    Stick a pic up here if you get a chance... There are a few very experienced lp guys who will be able to tell exactly what it is and a likely year and value :)
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    edited July 2015
    If the year is right and it's all cherry, then most likely it is a Special   .. may have a "Deluxe" truss rod cover on, or some such like.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7091
    tFB Trader
    Brize said:
    Yep, the Les Paul was first reissued in 68, not 67. 
    Late 67 actually.
  • I think @richard_henry would be the go to man for anything vintage and Les Paul like right now... 
    ESchap said:
    If the year is right and it's all cherry, then most likely it is a Special 
    Specials in '60-'61 were double-cuts.

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I have just realised that a picture really is worth a 1000 words.
    :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    GuitarMonkey;697778" said:
    ESchap said:

If the year is right and it's all cherry, then most likely it is a Special 

Specials in '60-'61 were double-cuts.
    Correct, but the OP doesn't say it's single cut.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    Something like this is probably what we are discussing (but a pic from the OP would be brill).

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/members/jfm07-albums-other-pics-picture39968-73-cherry-lp-deluxe.bmp

There are some 'know it alls' and actual experts on the Myles Paul forum and the proper grumpy anal experts reside on lespaulforum.com
    Whilst it's not a vintage mortgageable model, there are some cool 'pancake' bodied norlin era Lesters about. Do the proper research and for heaven sake play the damn thing a lot first. If it's a good one you'll know.