Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Morrissey - is it just me who can't understand the worship?

What's Hot
Saw 'Morrissey-Autobiography' in Smiths [no pun intended] on the bookshelf on Saturday and apparently part of the 'Penquin Classics' range of books... um I'm confused..has he finely reached deity status?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    No, he just thinks he has.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    I think narrating Bob the Builder was his finest hour
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
    tFB Trader
    It's going to be a big seller and I suspect it was his demand that it had to be a Penguin classic to publish it. A wheelbarrow full of cash trumps the integrity of the classics line.

I think Morrissey is a unique singer and has written some great lyrics, but there is no doubt he is a wanker of gargantuan proportions. As with Bono in the U2 thread it makes no difference to how much I enjoy his music. 

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    What happens when he's no longer in Smiths? Rename the band Pound Shop?

He's not the first lead singer with a high opinion of himself though is he? Par for the course. Aparently Paul Rodgers is right bastard!
    And I have it on good authority that Robert Cray is not very nice to his musicians as well.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73097
    equalsql said:
    Saw 'Morrissey-Autobiography' in Smiths [no pun intended] on the bookshelf on Saturday and apparently part of the 'Penquin Classics' range of books... um I'm confused..has he finely reached deity status?
    Perhaps they mistook him for a penguin.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

I think Morrissey is a wanker of gargantuan proportions. As with Bono

Two birds killed with one stone there, and I couldn't have put it more eloquently.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    Wooohoooo! A Mozza thread. Get in there.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6252
    hywelg said:
     Aparently Paul Rodgers is right bastard!

Funny I'd heard that too, I know Andy Fraser has a pretty low opinion of him and he (allegedly) still  treats Simon Kirk as a session player and not an equal (which he was IMHO)
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12116
    edited October 2013
    you normally need a lot of self confidence to want to be a lead vocalist, some of them have way too much of it
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6252
    you normally need a lot of self confidence to want to be a lead vocalist, some of them have way too much of it
     I've met so many so called singers who are full of themselves but are musically shite, and a fewer number of really great singers who have zero confidence. It's a funny old world.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited October 2013
    being a good singer,  and being good at fronting a band  -  don't  necessarily require the same talent.   

Those having both,  are rare. 

Its a hell of a lot easier to be a good guitar player, than the an averagely good  "front man who can sing"
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I don't think The Smiths would have been any worse off with a different singer.
    My V key is broken
  • I think Bertie is right. 

The appeal of a frontman very often goes beyond their vocal talent. There are plenty of bands where it's questionable if they would have had such success had their frontman not been good looking or been arrogant or been comedic or regularly set his head on fire.......

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    I never really followed any of the careers of the smiths after the split despite being a fan. (ok, I bought the modest mouse album earlier this year).
    I just felt it was the band as a whole that made The Smiths work. Mike and Andy were brilliant and distinctive as a rhythm section. They were just as important as the "stars" of the band. It wouldn't have been the same without them.
    I remember getting in late one night over twenty years back, flicking on the box and finding Sinead O'Conners the lion and the cobra gig on the box and I was elated to hear that same rhythm section there, shame they weren't on the album (although that's a great album in its own right). I'm not sure if they ever worked together since that tour but then Andy did have his nasty habit.
    I have a similar view with The Who, individually the members don't all astound me, but as a unit it becomes something fantastic. I find the idea if them performing without Keith and John a bit odd but that's just my opinion.
    Going back to topic, I think I would of much preferred Morrisey to have left music and gone off to write some awful poetry in a dingy bedsit somewhere.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12116
    That's Entertainment!
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Yes, the Jam were better than the Smiths :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
    I don't really know anything about him other than he appears to be called lots of rude names quite often.  I have, however, heard him singing and he always gets me reaching for the off switch immediately.  Mainly because of his extended vocal range.  Man, it must kill his throat to go from G2 all the way up to er... B2.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    There's a lot of morbidity on the first album, subject matter was quite dark on a lot of songs but he showed a viscous sense of humour in later smiths albums. No, I don't think he's got a good voice but it suited the bands "indie" status.

Just for the record, I loved The Jam too although after reading that he sends his kids to private school I find myself cringing a little on hearing Eton Rifles.
    Lixarto;69371" said:
    Yes, the Jam were better than the Smiths :)
    Moz covered it bizarrely enough.