New Hendrix Doc on TV tonight

What's Hot
Hear my Train a Comin' is on telly tonight http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03gln7r
"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7214
    I saw that advertised last night. Looks interesting.
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12524
    I'll probably watch it but it's difficult to see how they can say anything new tbh. There's already a couple of Jimi docs that regularly do the rounds on Sky Arts and they're practically identical to the old Hendrix cinema film.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Producer: Janie Hendrix (of course).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Thanks for the heads-up, I'll be there...

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Thanks for the heads-up. :)
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    If Charlie is contributing in any way, I hope he cleans his teeth.   Last time I saw him on the TV  I was eating my dinner :(

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Anyone else stay up and watch it then?

Nothing groundbreaking and new, but some nice clips of home movie footage, and the letters home were sweet (but quite obviously trying to paint a picture).

Some pieces of live footage I've not seen before, but not always with matching audio!...but it was clear the 'never seen before footage' was their USP for this.

The bit seperating the three guitar tracks from Little Wing was great...I'm sure we'd all want to see more of that.

I think I drifted off for a bit as I don't remember them covering the Experience splitting up and then the Gypsy Sons and Rainbows/Band of Gypsys gigs (inc Woodstock of course). I might spin through it on the iPlayer and fill in the gaps.

...and (spoiler alert) he dies at the end so that's sad.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16422
    not_the_dj;70419" said:

...and (spoiler alert) he dies at the end so that's sad.
    Nooooooooooooooo!!! :((
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I watched it today, it was rather good, much better than the American biopics on Sky Arts. Nice seeing some "new" live footage and photos too. The only shame is it wasn't longer, they could have easily stretched it another half hour.
    If Charlie is contributing in any way, I hope he cleans his teeth.   Last time I saw him on the TV  I was eating my dinner :(
    Take it you mean Charles Shaar Murray? I had to google him to make sure, I honestly thought he was dead. :-O
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73100
    Producer: Janie Hendrix (of course).
    If so there might actually be some of Jimi's music in it, which would make a change. The downside is that she'll get a cut… again.

boogieman said:
    Take it you mean Charles Shaar Murray? I had to google him to make sure, I honestly thought he was dead. :-O
    RocknRollDave missed a perfectly good opportunity to thump him recently, if I remember.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    boogieman said:
    Yeah, he is still alive and kicking.

• bigdawgbigdawg Frets: 51
    Havent seen it all yet, but now I know Janie Hendrix is involved I know its pretty much going to miss whole chunks if his time int he UK as she absolutely detests Kathy Etchingham (hendrix's girlfriend for most of his time in the UK) and views her as a money grabbing opportunist..?!?!   

Even to the point that when Kathy almost singlehandedly arranged forthe blue plaque off of bond street at his flat Janie turned up trying to get the ceremony stopped also shouting loudly that it shouldnt go ahead as she hadn't been invited..  (an invitation was sent to Hendrix's father but under the advice of Janie was told not to accept it!)
    bigdawg said:
    Havent seen it all yet, but now I know Janie Hendrix is involved I know its pretty much going to miss whole chunks if his time int he UK as she absolutely detests Kathy Etchingham (hendrix's girlfriend for most of his time in the UK) and views her as a money grabbing opportunist..?!?!   

Even to the point that when Kathy almost singlehandedly arranged forthe blue plaque off of bond street at his flat Janie turned up trying to get the ceremony stopped also shouting loudly that it shouldnt go ahead as she hadn't been invited..  (an invitation was sent to Hendrix's father but under the advice of Janie was told not to accept it!)
    You're right, Kathy Etchingham doesn't feature but Linda Keith and Fay Pridgon do quite heavily. It is quite a selective program all round tbh and a pretty sanitised view of his life...his drug problems and his various recording contracts signed with all and sundry barely get a mention.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I seem to recall hearing Al Hendrix's first words on flying to the UK to collect Jimi's body were "where's my money?"

Also his Mum is cast as a slut and Janie's step dad as a patient and good man...

Leon doesn't get a mention in it - why would he? Al sent him to a foster home claiming to only be able to raise on son, who he then farmed out to relatives.

All the other stuff just seemed to be marketting hype..

it wound me up. ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • boogieman said:
    I missed a perfectly good opportunity to thump him recently.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    I think if you watch the South Bank Show special from 1989, Leon's recent one and this you get a more rounded view. The Classic Albums for Ladyland is good also.

I'm reading Pete Townshend' s book at the moment and his view of the whole Monterey thing differs slightly. He was completely in awe of the Jimster and shit scared of being blown away by him. (as it turns out quite rightly).
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

I read somewhere that Townshend insisted Hendrix go on first. Hendrix wasn't happy but warned PT that he would pull out all the stops. Nice job Jimi.
  • The Who went on first... Pete was worried about Jimi upstaging him by smashing his guitar. I think it worked out ok for both of them (for a while).

"A city star won’t shine too far"

My bad, I thought it was the other way round.