I want a new acoustic, but I'm skint!

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
Money a bit tight right now, so can't really afford to splash out... but my current acoustic just sounds a bit naff. It needs a proper set up, with the bridge area probably heavily needing addressing and a brand new nut. I'm not sure the outlay is really worth it... so I'm wondering if I should get a cheap acoustic to replace it?

RHC recommended the Vintage stuff, but none of it comes in left handed, so kinda outta luck there.

Any recommendations? Less than £200, coz as I say... cash is tiiiight.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906
    If your acoustic is quite old then most new ones will be better in terms of playability. I played all price ranges when I was looking around and most were fine, no cheese graters. You pay more for sound quality of course. Stuff like Epiphone, Farida, Yamaha etc. are decent enough. Acoustics really need to be tried out IMO. Go second-hand if you can! I have to say I don't know what the second-hand market is like for inexpensive recent-model left-handed acoustics. :D
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Yeah mate, the one I have is an 80's Ibanez one. So it's quite old now, and does play like a cheese grater!
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited July 2015
    I'll be selling a Blueridge BR-343 in the next week or so if that is any interest - sounds nice and very playable. Same is this one http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/BR343.htm and comes with fitted hardcase. Would be a wee bit more than you are budgeting for but could maybe agree a price. 
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    I'm sure you could get a Taylor Big Baby used for that. I got a new one ten years ago for £349, well as a birthday present from the now Mrs Voo. I still use it a lot, great great guitar for the money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • "RHC recommended the Vintage stuff, but none of it comes in left handed, so kinda outta luck there."
    There's this: 

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/vintage-lh-v300-folk-left-handed-natural/17996?gclid=CNTZz7Dh6cYCFQX3wgodvi0NJQ

Great wee guitars.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Oops - i missed the lefty bit - mine is the right way round!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    I helped a friend buy an Ashton for his daughter for around £150 that was very good.  I don't know if they come in left handed though.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    I have been impressed by some Cort acoustics in that kind of price range. The one my mate has is really pretty good and is a low end model with just solid top I think.
  • edited July 2015
    Deijavoo;709520" said:
    I'm sure you could get a Taylor Big Baby used for that. I got a new one ten years ago for £349, well as a birthday present from the now Mrs Voo. I still use it a lot, great great guitar for the money.
    Definitely a great acoustic at this price point if you can bag one used. Totally stopped my acoustic search in its tracks. I love mine to bits & I'm yet to play an acoustic under 3 or 4 times the price that I like more.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Sigma should do a nice acoustic for that money.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33964
    Why not get your existing one set up by someone who knows what they are doing?
    With acoustic guitars setup is the most important factor, once you've established there are no structural issues.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    octatonic said:
    With acoustic guitars setup is the most important factor, once you've established there are no structural issues.
     Coz I reckon it'd be more than just buying a new one tbh!
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1809
    Acoustics are funny things I was amazed how well my old yamaha from the 70's came up after a bit of fettling by someone who knew what he was doing with acoustics. 

I had a new bone nut cut, new bone bridge, and think he shaved the bridge to improve some angle or other, frets levelled due to 30 years of play wear. Did it for 140 quid. He works at such a speed I doubt it took him more than a couple of hours, sadly he is retired now. 

Ibanez might well have some good wood as was often the case. I have played a couple of nice Ibby acoustics. 

regards jez

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33964
    edited July 2015
    Drew_fx said:
    octatonic said:
     Coz I reckon it'd be more than just buying a new one tbh!
    Which will also need setting up, mostly likely. 
    A decent setup should only be £50-100 or so anyway, depending on what needs doing.
    Even if it is a new bone nut and saddle it would be extortionate.
    I doubt you can buy a quality lefty acoustic guitar for that sort of money.
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 747
    I have one of these: http://www.coda-music.com/blueridge-bg140-secondhand-p-21369.html Coda want £499. I'd sell it for what I bought it for in here, a bargainous £225. Would need to work out delivery charges / logistics. Here's the original thread. http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/30129/ There's some rather nasty buckle rash (perhaps 2 year old with a sharp toy rash) on the back of it, plus the nut looks rather amateurish and there's a bit off buzz so it could probably use some tlc at some point. But it's cheap for what it is. If it's of interest let me know and I'll sort some pics.
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 747
    Oops. Missed the lefty bit too.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Stop crying, start buying
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I've played a lot of Ibanezes and they've all been pretty good, even the cheap ones are really good value. I'm sat here looking at an entry level one that cost me about 40 quid and it's surprisingly good.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    Richards guitars does some lower end cort guitars. I am sure some are LH and also include a setup.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    i second the vintage range, i have  a ve 500 and v300 both can be had second hand for 80 and 130 respectively and both are available 2nd hand tho might be a bit thinner on the ground