I want a new acoustic, but I'm skint!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27727
    Could you do the old McCartney lefty/righty switcheroo? Easier on acoustic than electric.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    @Drew_fx - I've been looking for a decent acoustic for years, and struggled to find what I really wanted soundwise.

Then, I pulled the trigger - on a whim - on a '92 Epiphone EJ200.  Thanks to the name on the headstock, they're cheap.

It's bloody brilliant.  In my search, I'd played some much more expensive acoustics - but nothing sounds like this EJ200 does.  Well within your budget as long as you can look past the 'E' word on the headstock.

It booms when strummed, it shimmers when picked, and does everything else in between.

I wish I'd tried one years ago, it would have saved me a lot of time; but I was convinced that at that price point (and being an Epi) it wouldn't be up to much.

Boy was I wrong!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Rox said:
    @Drew_fx - I've been looking for a decent acoustic for years, and struggled to find what I really wanted soundwise.

Then, I pulled the trigger - on a whim - on a '92 Epiphone EJ200.  Thanks to the name on the headstock, they're cheap.

It's bloody brilliant.  In my search, I'd played some much more expensive acoustics - but nothing sounds like this EJ200 does.  Well within your budget as long as you can look past the 'E' word on the headstock.

It booms when strummed, it shimmers when picked, and does everything else in between.

I wish I'd tried one years ago, it would have saved me a lot of time; but I was convinced that at that price point (and being an Epi) it wouldn't be up to much.

Boy was I wrong!!
    Yeah man, Epiphone make decent enough guitars. I'll see if there are any lefties hanging around.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    Jumbos are awesome, but some people find them too big. Have you tried one Drew?
    I haven't. My current one is a dreadnought style.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    Do you play with it on your picking hand leg when sat down?  Do you ever find the dreadnaught uncomfortable?  A jumbo will be bigger.

I've got fairly long arms but still prefer to play my jumbo on a strap hanging between my legs.  Or sometimes on my fretting hand leg.  It is usually ok on my picking hand leg but if I slouch then I'll end up in a bit of discomfort in my shoulder after a while, so I've stopped doing it.

Tonally I think they're worth it, they have an open and balanced sound that is pretty big, but they're not as bassy/punchy as a comparable dreadnaught for certain styles.  For punchy strumming stuff a dreadnaught is still tough to beat.  I like most styles of acoustic but tonally I find the Jumbos the most versatile, they sound big for strumming but still have nice balance for picking.  A lot of the acoustic instrumental guys (like Andy McKee etc) use Jumbos.
    I don't really find it uncomfortable to be honest. It's mostly the neck that I am disliking.
    Hmmmm.... I'm quite fancying one with a cutaway so I can get some better high note access.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I've had a Vintage V300 for years. Brilliant for the money and I think you can get a lefty.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    What about Crafter? I've heard good things about them and they have loads of lefty options.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2952
    Just to chuck another brand into the hat - Tanglewood. I've got a midrange one that sounds and plays lovely, cost me £150 second hand.

But as has been said, acoustics need to be tried, there's a lot of variation in neck and body sizes amongst other things.
    Yeah I'm gonna try and find a day to go out shopping. I've got a bit of spare cash, but ideally I'd get my Helix first and then sort out my acoustic.