What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Jalapeno said:
    Chord charts - if you see these ......

Ø = half dimished - min7b5

Δ = Maj / Maj7

° (Degree sign, or circle) = Diminished
    At school there was a maths teacher who pronounced the "empty set" symbol (used here for half-diminished) as "oink".

BTW @Jalapeno, where did you get those symbols from? AFAIK they're not in any fonts I've got on my PC at home ... and I could use them!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •  

frankus said:
      I don't know the more descriptive a thing becomes the less subjective it is until you basically have a "right" and a "wrong" way of playing it. Which I think is anti-music.
    That's a very good point because if music notation was 'exact' in it transcription you would be asking it to have the ability to translate the art of music, which is not a request we may of any other art based discipline.  A script for a play will give guidance as to mood but it cannot infer the nuances of a character for you or else as you say it would either become right or wrong which misses the point of art IMO. I think a score is much like a play's script.  You can interpret it on the spot but your greater performances will come once one you have had time to learn it and place you own inflections into it. 

I think there is a common misunderstanding by guitar bands as to how scores are used by orchestral musicians and big bands.  We don't expect to see the local rock band with music stands on stage but we it's taken for granted in an orchestral or musical setting etc.  The belief of a lot non-readers is that the swats in the orchestral pit are reading seamlessly through reams and reams of sheet music.  The truth is if your took the music away they could still play the piece but it is good professional practice to have and follow the score in case your mind goes blank, you make a mistake or as is often the case you are playing similar pieces or various versions of pieces you know.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Thanks for the comments guys.

Quick reply for @Phil_aka_Pip, I think maybe @Jalapeno uses a Mac, the extended ASCII set has these:
    (not sure if PCs do that too, hope it helps.)

∆ = alt j
    ø Ø = alt & alt shift o
    ° = alt shift 8 *

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6423
    Windows Character Map (on a PC)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback