Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guilty musical pleasures....mmmm

What's Hot

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3090
    Normally if anyone asks me about guilty pleasures, I always say Ratt or Motley Crue.

However, my true, proper, bonafide GP, is Dollar's Mirror Mirror.   Pop perfection.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

Nana Mouskouri

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    What's wrong with the Cardigans? 

Music I'm probably supposed to be embarrassed about would be Daphne & Celeste I guess...
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    The idea of Guilty Pleasures is a bit ridiculous really.
    If there is music that you find moving, exciting, whatever, there is no need to seek the approval of other people. And that applies if the artist has sold 25 million albums or 25 albums.

The best act of the past 10 years is Adele. If you don't "get it" or "feel it" that is not my problem!

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Very early Bee Gees
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 681

I bought the CD single when this was in the charts about 5 years ago - I think it's an awesome song. About once every six months I play it at the Rock Jam in Cambridge, and people always ask me afterwards, 'great song, what is it?' then look disgusted when I say it is by Jordin Sparks, American Idol winner 2007, and Chris Brown, cocky RnB singer who subsequently disgraced himself by beating up Rihanna.

Inspired to give this a spin for the first time in ages. Bought the single when this came out, too. Symphonic in scope. Moving. Wonderful production. By George Michael, oh well

This for me is guilty pleasure squared! Christian Rock music AND late 70s/ early 80s Cliff Richard in one electrifying live performance :-)

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    I have no shame as far as music goes and like too many cheesy, camp and just plain wrong tunes by most accounts.

But however Johnny Hates Jazz.

I have tried but cannot enjoy any bar the more accessible well known usual suspects. 
  • dogload;71681" said:
    Very early Bee Gees
    Must admit, i much prefer the early bee gees to the 70's - always liked "i started a joke" tbh.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4953
    edited November 2013
    Oh well, here goes - Tina Arena.

Got an album called "Don't Ask", with Sorrento Moon - I just LOVE that song!  Also has Chains, Heaven Help My Heart, and a good cover of Show Me Heaven.

It's quite a stripped down production - guitars/bass/keys/drums/vox - that works well for the material.

Also, I love jazz piano trio stuff - Oscar Peterson, Erroll Garner, Ahmad Jamal all great.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

I love pipe bands. :)

And The Andrews sisters. The Carter Family.

50's country singers like Marty Robbins, Frankie Laine and Tex Ritter. Willie Nelson (Hello Walls...)

The country queens: Tammy, Dolly and Billy-Jo.

Herb Alpert and Acker Bilk.

Bombastic Jazz 60's TV theme tunes like The money programme and UFO.

Suzi Quattro.

• I not sure what to classify as a guilty pleasure as virtually all of the ones I've read so far my reaction was 'What's wrong with that?'.  Now obviously Chris De Burgh was the exception but I feel that stray away from guilty pleasures and in to pure sadism.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • I quite like Taylor Swift's current album, Red.

Apart from that my main guilty pleasure is The Alarm's "Change" album, which I still listen to fairly regularly.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10418
    Quite partial to a bit of Girls Aloud actually.Probably not of many peoples opinion but I love their cover of The Pretenders I'll stand by you.Always felt I was a bit strange though because I fancied Nicola over Cheryl.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355

I like ........ Disco music. Saturday Night Fever stuff is awesome, but also Chic, Donna summer, and all that stuff.

Can't do the travolta dancing though ....
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2043

Gloria Estefan (though not with the Miami Souind Machine)

Marillion - soundtrack to my 16th year (a very important one)

Big Country - though on reflection, that's not especially shameful. 

The utterly hideous London Beat - especially the song "9am on a New York Subway" I sing it in the shower and put extra effort into the phrase "...strap-a-hangin, commuting on the Double A".  Love it. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• I like Whitesnake and ABC, not guilty about it though!
  • McToot said:

Big Country - though on reflection, that's not especially shameful. 

Damn right it's not, bloody excellent band!
    One of the best gigs I ever went to was Big Country at the old Hummingbird club in Birmingham.

No shame in that whatsoever

• gilbygilby Frets: 176
    McToot;72265" said:
    Gloria Estefan (though not with the Miami Souind Machine)Marillion - soundtrack to my 16th year (a very important one)Big Country - though on reflection, that's not especially shameful.  The utterly hideous London Beat - especially the song "9am on a New York Subway" I sing it in the shower and put extra effort into the phrase "...strap-a-hangin, commuting on the Double A".  Love it.   
    Nothing shameful in either BigCountry or Marillion