Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Herbal fraudsters...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
    tFB Trader
    Myranda said: "shove it up a pony to get golden eggs"
    Sigworthy 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    octatonic said:
    spider venom, uranium, asbestos, arsenic, botulism, formaldehyde & anthrax are all NATURAL substances.

I'm taking them all when I next get a cold.
    My V key is broken
  • Brass Saddles
    Callahan trem blocks

:-?
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    Brass Saddles
    Callahan trem blocks

these both definitely work (particularly the latter),    whether its for the better is subjective and open to debate, but a difference make, they certainly do.

back on topic,   we take echinacea tabs when the on-set of  "cold like symptoms" start......or there is "bug" going around -  and TBH 90% of the time,  full blown symptoms do not occur (I was careful not to put 'they work')  We certainly get a LOT less cold/sniffle/chil like attacks then we did prior to taking them.

Whether you believe its coincidence and they might not have occurred without taking the tabs - thas fine, and I may not disagree.  All I know is taking them "appears" to work.  So we will carry on

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • bertie said:
    Brass Saddles
    Callahan trem blocks

these both definitely work (particularly the latter),    whether its for the better is subjective and open to debate, but a difference make, they certainly do.

The definition of 'work' that's been used on here is 'shown to work after a double blind test'.  I'd be surprised if anyone's done a test rigorous enough to discount some of the distorting effects of users' expectations described in earlier posts.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    I was told to try st johns Wort (sp) for depression( a few years back). I bought some for £17 squid(at a time when prescriptions were about £4, and felt more depressed robbing twunts.
    I got more out of a self help book.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited November 2013
    JAYJO said:
    I was told to try st johns Wort (sp) for depression( a few years back). I bought some for £17 squid(at a time when prescriptions were about £4, and felt more depressed robbing twunts.

You have to be careful.  Mixed with certain meds St John Wort can be fatal.  It's dodgy stuff.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9831
    Homeopathic A&E sketch from Mitchell & Webb Enjoy
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    JAYJO said:

You have to be careful.  Mixed with certain meds St John Wort can be fatal.  It's dodgy stuff.
    I will remember that and Thanks for pointing that out.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Homeopathy is state funded with royal approval. London has a Royal Homeopathic Hospital on prime central property worth milllions. Stupidity goes that high up. It also has the pernicious added bonus of granting official approval to homeopathy. Hence it is allowed. In the old days when people studied for the bar after a primary degree youd have had a small chance of getting a judge with a science background and could have tried a fraud suit. But the homeopathic industry is well funded and has a lot of public support. The state should stop funding it and remove that veneer of credibility. That alone would hurt the industry badly. A lot of public ridicule and a Daily Mail /Express campaign to expose fraudsters would also kill sales, as users of such products are hardly reading Grauniad/Times/Torygraph. If someone bothered to coordinate it I suspect the GMC and Big Pharma would happily lend a hand...
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Bucket said:
    I'm just going to leave this here.

Beat me to it.
  • Year of two back I saw a car parked up in a local car park with the sign on the back

"Homeopath on call"

I turned to my mate, a GP, and agreed the appropriate response was "oh for fuck's sake"
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Evilmags said:
    Homeopathy is state funded with royal approval. London has a Royal Homeopathic Hospital on prime central property worth milllions. Stupidity goes that high up. It also has the pernicious added bonus of granting official approval to homeopathy. Hence it is allowed. In the old days when people studied for the bar after a primary degree youd have had a small chance of getting a judge with a science background and could have tried a fraud suit. But the homeopathic industry is well funded and has a lot of public support. The state should stop funding it and remove that veneer of credibility. That alone would hurt the industry badly. A lot of public ridicule and a Daily Mail /Express campaign to expose fraudsters would also kill sales, as users of such products are hardly reading Grauniad/Times/Torygraph. If someone bothered to coordinate it I suspect the GMC and Big Pharma would happily lend a hand...
    I'd have thought Guardian readers were most likely to be into it.
    My V key is broken
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33991
    Certainly the 'middle class hippy-dippy' is a cliche- I don't think they have ownership of being scientifically ignorant.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Ben Goldacre's one service to mankind was his work on homeopaths in the Grauniad. The shops that sell that sort of crap seem to employ dreadlocked types with suspect personal hygiene who, if female, are experts in cultivating armpit hair. The customers seem mainly middle class types. You only need to look where they print horoscopes and other such mystic nonsense. 
  • Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1198
    edited November 2013
    Myranda said:
     there was a fantastic thread on mumsnet ...

... was like a text version of loose women
    Isn't Mumsnet just basically Loose Women anyway?
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5203
    What about those that push high dosages of vitamins?